No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-18, 2:26pm
The 2 Michelle's

Default Do I have a leak?

I'm pretty sure something is not right but thought I would ask those that know more about safety than I.

I hooked up my new oxygen tank and immediately had a VERY noticeable loud leak from the spot on my regulator that has the arrow pointing to it.

I turned everything off and tried again. It took me a few tries but I did get it hooked up so that O2 wasnt coming out of that spot. I checked all of the connections and there are no airbubbles.

When I shut down I turn off the O2 at the regulator then at the tank. If I remember right what usually happens is that the tank pressure always reads at whatever is in the tank the problem is that it is going down by the time I go back out to work the next day. Is that a leak? And if so, how do I figure out where the leak is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-18, 4:11pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcilwain
I'm pretty sure something is not right but thought I would ask those that know more about safety than I.

I hooked up my new oxygen tank and immediately had a VERY noticeable loud leak from the spot on my regulator that has the arrow pointing to it.

I turned everything off and tried again. It took me a few tries but I did get it hooked up so that O2 wasnt coming out of that spot. I checked all of the connections and there are no airbubbles.

When I shut down I turn off the O2 at the regulator then at the tank. If I remember right what usually happens is that the tank pressure always reads at whatever is in the tank the problem is that it is going down by the time I go back out to work the next day. Is that a leak? And if so, how do I figure out where the leak is?
If your leak is where arrow is, its just the symptom.

The actual leak is where the conical end of connector (on regulator) seats in the tapered connector of oxygen tank. Since it is a pure metal to metal seal there are several possible reasons for this.

1> Dust or dirt in the tank valve area where conical end of connector seats.

2> Scratches or abrasions in tank valve causing it to be permanently damaged.

3> scratches or gouges in end of connector on regulator.

4> Dirt on seating surface of regulator.

5> Gland nut that holds connection together is not tight enough.

Sometimes you have to rotate regulator a few degrees one way or the other to find a spot where everything wants to seat properly when tightening it.

DO NOT attempt to seal leak with any Teflon tape or pipe thread compounds. This practice is dangerous. Some pipe sealing compounds actually contains oils, and oxygen and oils are a spontaneous explosion mix,.

IF you can't get tank and regulator to seal with pure metal to metal contact, its possible that tank valve is damages and you may have to exchange it for a different tank.

If you shut off the torch and the tank but do not bleed lines, and do not back off the regulator and the pressure on the HIGH PRESSURE gauge (one closes to tank) and low pressure gauge drops over night you have a leak somewhere between tank valve and torch valves.

If you back off regulator setting and bleed lines (in that order) and tank valve has a reading, then it drops over night, you have a leak at connection between tank and regulator.

If you totally bleed system and all gauges are at zero when you quit, and in the moring when you go to start up again the high pressure gauge has a reading, the tank valve is leaking past its shut off position.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-19 at 5:34am.
Old 2005-09-18, 4:26pm
The 2 Michelle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.

If you back off regulator setting and bleed lines (in that order) and tank valve has a reading, then it drops over night, you have a leak at connection between tank and regulator.

Dale

This is the one. I have a feeling it is the tank since I havent had this problem before and I have had my regulator less than a year.

Thank you for your knowledge!!

Old 2005-09-18, 9:27pm

Dale this is comprehensive but confusing... can you break it down for me further. I am totally confused

Thanks
Lyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
If your leak is where arrow is, its just the symptom.

The actual leak is where the conical end of connector (on regulator) seats in the tapered connector of oxygen tank. Since it is a pure metal to metal seal there are several possible reasons for this.

1> Dust or dirt in the tank valve area where conical end of connector seats.

2> Scratches for abrasions in tank valve causing it to be permanently damaged.

3> scratches of gouges in end of connector on regulator.

4> Dirt on seating surface eof regulator.

5> Gland nut that holds connection together is not tight enough.

Sometimes you have to rotate regulator a few degrees one way or the other to find a spot where everything wants to seat properly when tightening it.

DO NOT attempt to seal leak with any Teflon tape or pipe thread compounds. This practice is dangerous. Some pipe sealing compounds actually contains oils, and oxygen and oils are a spontaneous explosion mix,.

IF you can't get tank and regulator to seal with pure metal to metal contact, its possible that tank valve is damages and you may have to exchange it for a different tank.

If you shut off the torch and the tank but do not bleed lines, and do not back off the regulator and the pressure on the HIGH PRESSURE gauge (one closes to tank) and low pressure gauge drops over night you have a leak somewhere between tank valve and torch valves.

If you totally bleed system and all gauges are at zero when you quit, and in the moring when you go to start up again the high pressure gauge has a reading, the tank valve is leaking past its shut off position.

Dale

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-09-19, 5:28am
Gentleman of Leisure

ummm... I don't know where the confusion may be ... Just read each text block in its self and mull it over. Each text block is a different thought. If you try to read it all as one big glob of data it may just be information overload.

Don't know how to break it down any more because I dont know what aspect of the information that confuses you?...

Sorry if that confuses you, I think, now I'm confused!!!!

Note: fixed a few spelling/grammar boo-boos and typos... Check original post again...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-19 at 5:36am.
Old 2005-09-20, 7:03pm
The 2 Michelle's

Thank you for the info Dale. I think I have the leak under control now but will know for certain in the morning. I took the regulator off the tank then blew on the threads of the tank. LOTS of dirt flew off! Hooked it back up and so far the pressure is staying where it should.

Old 2012-12-01, 2:52pm
Pincel de Fuego

Hey guys, I didn't know whether to start a new thread or add on to this one...
I've been fighting to set up my oxygen tank all day basically, but I keep getting a leak between my arrestor and my oxygen hose.... I've been tightening it so hard that now I'm thinking that the equipment is just defective, I'm worried I'll damage my torch if I keep tightening this thing. So I'm going to take it (the arrestor and hose) back to the store. Would it be really dangerous for me to just work with the leak until monday when the store opens again? Am I a complete idiot? I can't keep waiting..

/
/
Old 2012-12-01, 4:30pm
Pincel de Fuego

never mind! I fixed it. It wasn't tight enough.

/
/