LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-31, 7:38pm

Cool How to get true colors using bulk mapp

Recently I switch from the 1 lb. canister to bulk mapp. However, I notice that my ivory looks like white not ivory. Any suggestions?? cem
Old 2008-06-01, 7:05am
Trying to Hope!

well usually its the problem with ivory looking grey if you got white looking I would say it might be okay Posta pic so we can see what you mean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-06-03, 1:07am
Glass-aholic

if you went to bulk you might have to work a bit closer to the torch and/or turn down your flame. you might have been getting more of a reduction with your small canisters. I find that Ivory keeps better colors when cooler, except if you get is super soupy and the color separates and comes to the surface again. Its like one extreme or the other. I like dk ivory too

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-03, 5:29am

Hey,
Sorry, no pics available as I do not have computer/digital camera technology. However, the next morning I looked closely at the bead and I noticed that it looks white not ivory wherever I applied a goldstone filigrana over the ivory. So I am thinking that it must be the clear over the ivory that made it look different.

Jaci, I think you could be on the right track! I need time to get use to the new setup. As much as I hated the 1# canister I knew how to work in that flame. I do find that the bulk flame is faster, louder and more difficult to see. I have turned it down but I am still not sure if I am in the "sweet" spot.

So yesterday I tried, for the first time a silvered ivory stringer. First I read all the threads from this site on silvered ivory. I made a bicone with random streaks of silvered ivory and amber. I was hoping it would be great. Not so!! The ivory is ivory. The amber is good, but the silver ivory stringer is a mucky taupe/grey colour.

Dk ivory and amber are two of my favourite colour combos.

It's like starting over! Lots of trial and error. Or should I say LOTS of error.

Any helpful suggestions?? cem
Old 2008-06-03, 4:11pm

it's been a while since i used the one pd cannisters but i don't have a problem with the mapp..however, i'm almost out of mapp and can't find anymore so i have to switch to propalene..i guess i'm going to have a new learning curve too..

Old 2008-06-04, 3:42pm
Glass-aholic

Renee, Propylene is GREAT if you are switching! there is a SMALL learning curve but it is easily overcome with 2-3 hours of work. it is much nicer than MAPP.

cem, silvered ivory is supposed to be grey muck. that is the point, lol.... Try it with a transparent and solid of the same shade. (like blue tans on blue opaque) It is also pretty on Ivory that is not silvered. It is a reaction that is neat, try it on ivory with another color as a separator or floral details. You can search for more here to see more beads that use it.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-05, 5:11am

Hey Jaci,
Thanks for the info. I checked many tutorials. I used the SIS on ivory but I didn't get a reaction. It is just stringer lines of mucky grey. There isn't any fine streaks of silver/ivory. How do you get the streaking affect?

I am trying to make an ivory bead with silvered ivory streaks. I didn't get a reaction. Nothing separated, the SIS is just a solid mucky grey ugly line.

Maybe I used too much silver when I made the SIS stringer, is that possible? I followed corina Tettinger's directions from Passing The Flame.

Some tutorials suggest using intense black to get a web effect with silvered ivory. I hope to get some today. Maybe that is what I am missing.

Should I have encased it? Sorry too many questions. Thanks again for your help. cheryl
Old 2008-06-05, 6:42am
Glass-aholic

i don't think you are heating it enough. the idea is to burn off the silver... I am not sure wat you are talking about with the streak thing. I'll have to pull out my passing the flame book too.

Old 2008-06-05, 10:23am

Jaci,
In Corina's pics (p177 third ed.) the ivory and silver seem to separate so you see ivory with a fine silver line (streak). When she puts ivory stringer dots they show separation too, they are ivory dots with fine lines of silver (pp 175,176). That's what I am trying to get.

I thought I cooked the "snot out of it" as was mentioned on another thread. Maybe I will try again and cook it longer. I often over cook. Are there any visible signs to look for when it is in the flame?

I checked out your gallery, NICE beads but I couldn't find one with SIS stringer. The vessel shown on the tutorial page are awesome. I hope to try those someday. I am still at the beginner level, so it will be a while - a long while.

Thanks so much for the continued help. cem
Old 2008-06-06, 9:01am

got my propelene, don't know much difference at all..it was less than half the cost..a 25pound tank cost me $42, i use to pay $22 for a 7/5 pound mapp..