Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-15, 12:31pm
mystical cat lover 56

Question Stupid Question from a boro wantabe !

Hello ! I am new to lampworking and I was wondering, I love the colors of
boro, Can I just practice with boro or does one have to practice with soft glass? Thank you for your time ! I just love the boro room !
Old 2006-10-15, 12:37pm
I'm a lilac!

Hi Dragon Myst!

Although a lot of people will tell you to start out with soft glass and then move to boro, my opinion is that there's only one very compelling reason to do so, and that is the cost of a boro setup vs. a soft glass setup. The difference isn't huge, but it can be enough to cause people to decide to wait.

If the extra expense isn't an issue for you, then I see no reason not to start with what you're most interested in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-15, 1:12pm

The colored boro is expensive, clear is cheap. Boro has a much lower coe (33 as I recall) and melts ssslllooowwwly unless you have a very big torch. That, IMHO, is why it's easier to start with soft glass and get some confidence and skills and then move on to boro. Then you know you can make beads and when you move onto boro, you will know what you are doing.

On the other hand, if you start with a big torch, it might be easier to learn since it is far less soupy than soft glass.
Old 2006-10-15, 5:13pm
boro color bender

You don't really need a big torch, just a hot torch. Boro can be worked on many small bead torches... you will need more oxygen flow. I think boro is great to learn with. The colors are a bit more tricky to strike, but the glass is less shocky, causing less burns on your arms... it's like working soft glass in slow motion in some ways, lending more control over the shape of the bead for beginners. I'm definitely prejudice... I'm a boro guy. I learned on boro and love boro. Soft glass hates me. It shocks, spits and sputters. I find myself leaving it out of the flame too long and exploding it when I go back into the fire. Boro isn't that touchy. In some ways, soft glass is harder to do than boro...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-15, 6:27pm
ManBearPig

I encourage you to start with boro if you want to work boro. I know several pipe makers who have never even touched a rod of soft glass.

In fact, if it weren't for the cost and the added heat involved, I'd teach my beginning classes on boro.

Old 2006-10-15, 7:24pm
Formerly known as LT

I started with boro. The only classes I could find in the area were for boro. I took a total of 10 hours of one on one teaching and 10 hours practice on my own "torch rental". I then took a 2 day class with Margaret Zinser about 2 months later. She only deals with soft glass. Then I took a boro class with Deb Crowley. What I found is that Margaret and Deb were sooooooooooo much more helpful to me in those three days than the teacher back home could ever be. I did however learn enough about both types of glass to start my studio at home and feel like I somewhat know how to go about it. I really thought I would only do boro until I met Margaret and now I haven't looked at boro for more than a day or so sence Deb's class. The reason for that is soft glass works faster with the torch I have. I have a lynx. It can do boro but not like I want. I wanted to do much larger sized beads and with the soft glass I can go really big and boro only about half or a bit more and it takes longer. I think when I go up in torch size I will probably take another boro class and play with that for a while. Glass is really fun and very personal. What is important to you may not be the same for others. So I would suggest taking a class with the soft and with the boro and just see for yourself what you like to work with. You may be surprised like I was.
Old 2006-10-23, 4:09pm

Hey LT that's why we keep bothing good teachers to come here! Our first boro class is coming up in December. Chad you are right it really IS expensive to run a boro class. We don't have anyone behind us giving us glass to use and have to buy it all for the classes. Ouch! Luckily we have Andy nearby to teach..
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-10-23, 11:23pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default boro torch size

If you want to do boro, do it!!! The working characteristics of boro are more forgiving for a beginner, working time/time scale is slower and IT DOESN'T EXPLODE if you leave it out of the flame too long.
As to the torch size, it is not true that you need a big torch. I learned on a welding torch, single flame and used that for many years before moving to a Carlisle CC.
For example, (and yes I am bragging) my daughter Zora, who has been blowing boro for about two years has been making 1 1/8 inch marbles on a Piranha.

This is a TINY torch compared to what is generally recommended for boro.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2006-10-24, 12:05am
Formerly known as LT

Paula where are you from? I would love to find some more good classes. Boro or soft. I live in the middle of nowhere when it comes to the glass world so there isn't much but I am always looking.
Old 2006-10-24, 5:03am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
Hey LT that's why we keep bothing good teachers to come here! Our first boro class is coming up in December. Chad you are right it really IS expensive to run a boro class. We don't have anyone behind us giving us glass to use and have to buy it all for the classes. Ouch! Luckily we have Andy nearby to teach..
Paula
And you always have me available to come up there. And I can bring my own glass....

Old 2006-10-24, 5:15am
In search of her path....

No reason not to start with boro except cost! As I saw mr smiley mention you need a HOT torch not necessarily a big torch. I was able to do really nice beads on a bobcat with 2 concentrators for a very long time 3 years or so! I just wanted to move on and do larger thicker pieces so I moved on to a cheetah. A good way to keep cost down...and im not sure if anyone has touched on it is to use lots of clear and to buy the 2nds that the resellers offer you can save big that way the 2nds are usually about $25 a lb as opposed to the 1'sts that are $45-60lb and a lil boro color goes ALONG way. Pull out thick stringer and layer it over a clear core and then encase it or dot over it with clear you will be amazed how far your boro color can go. Oh and Frit! FRIT QUEEN! I love using Boro Frit! It ads Color and life to things! I love it ! A lil goes a LONGGGGGGGGG way its awesome

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2006-10-24 at 5:20am.
Old 2006-10-24, 5:16am
ManBearPig

I wouldn't buy seconds. You never know what you are going to get. Sometimes the color is off. Sometimes the COE is off.

Odds are fine. Stay away from seconds.

Old 2006-10-24, 5:23am
In search of her path....

Maybe thats what I meant was odds/ Ive bought whatever it was before usually what it is its odd shapes or sizes and to start when your learning its a way to save money. Ive never had any where it was not COE compatible though.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-10-24, 7:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I wouldn't buy seconds. You never know what you are going to get. Sometimes the color is off. Sometimes the COE is off.

Odds are fine. Stay away from seconds.

bwahahaha... that just reminded me of Forrest Gump.....

"Life is like a box of Boro... ya never know WHAT yer gonna git"

Jo
Old 2006-10-24, 9:32am
tweetysweetie

Whoohoooo, Don..Zora's marble is super! She worked on the piranha while here and cranked out some real pretty stuff. I'm so proud of her...thanks for sharing.