Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-26, 12:30pm

Question Boro vs Soft Glass - Durability

I don't know if this is the right place for this post, so feel free to relocate it if necessary.

My question is this: given identical items, one in boro and one in soft glass, both properly annealed, is one more durable than the other, or do they have the same strength (resistance or susceptability to breakage).

Thanks to whomever knows the answer!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-26, 12:35pm
ManBearPig

It was my understanding that borosilicate was developed to be more resistant to chemicals and heat. So, I would think in those circumstances, boro would be more durable.

As far as straight breakage is concerned, I don't know if there is much of a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-26, 12:54pm
boro color bender

Boro is harder... how much harder I don't know. I'm sure there's a hardness chart some where.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-26, 1:06pm

Thanks, guys. I was wondering because I saw a post where someone had made a toggle clasp out of glass (I really don't recall if it was boro or soft), but I thought that was a neat idea and this question came to mind.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2006-10-26, 1:23pm
Carpe Beadum

That's so funny because I was just wondering the same thing!!

But for me, it's swizzle sticks. Should they be made out of hard glass?

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-10-26, 1:30pm
ManBearPig

I have some boro toggles from Family Glass. I haven't used them yet. They said they had sold hundreds of them, and hadn't had a single breakage reported.

Old 2006-10-26, 1:36pm

I've often wondered the same thing...

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2006-10-27, 8:20am

Disa & Janice - looks like we're on the same page! I've thought about swizzle stick, too!! lol Chad, thanks for the info! I suspected that boro would safest way to go, but I wanted to ask the "experts"! Thanks, everyone!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2006-10-28, 9:23am
tweetysweetie

Great info so far...yes, I believe the boro glass to be tuffer than soft..given proper annealing of course. Wonder if moss hardness information includes glass info, aren't zirconias glass? Disa, if I was going to use glass for stir sticks, it definitely would be boro.

Old 2006-10-28, 10:09am
I'm a lilac!

Boro is both harder and more brittle than soft glass... it is far less susceptible to breakage from thermal shock (so is a lot easier to make things like toggles and swizzle sticks from, and better for anything that will be exposed to heat) but is slightly more susceptible to breakage from dropping or a sharp blow.

Old 2006-10-28, 11:10am
Does it come in Purple???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera
Boro is both harder and more brittle than soft glass... it is far less susceptible to breakage from thermal shock (so is a lot easier to make things like toggles and swizzle sticks from, and better for anything that will be exposed to heat) but is slightly more susceptible to breakage from dropping or a sharp blow.
I'm glad you said that! My very limited experience is that boro when dropped shatters while soft isn't quite so bad.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day