Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-18, 6:33am
ManBearPig

Default Beginner boro colors...

I'm calling out to all of you boro workers for some help.

As some of you know, I sell sample packs of boro on our site. We have a set of striking colors, a set of sparkle colors, and a set of crayon colors.

Well, I've been getting a lot of requests for a "beginner's pack". Some colors that are easy to work with and easy to get the desired results out of.

So, this is where the rest of you come in. I've been working with boro for quite a while, and I've kind of learned to work all the colors. I'm not sure which colors are easiest to work with since I work with all of them so much.

Here is a partial list of what I've come up with:

Clear in a couple different sizes
GA Cobalt (not sure which shade yet)
NS Butterscotch
NS Blue Moon
GA Peacock
Elvis

I'm also going to include a couple different colors of frit. Maybe Blue Moon and Amber Purple or something.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions for other easy to work colors. Any suggestions would be welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-18, 6:39am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

DAP, it was very easy and forgiving for me to work with double amber purple, plus you can get a huge range of color from it. Also the regular or caramel luster works perfect, easy but still lovely colors.

Suzanne

Old 2006-10-18, 7:09am

I'm new to boro and love the butterscotch frit. That with DAP, yum!

Rose
Old 2006-10-18, 7:44am
Missing presumed fed

I think DAP is a good idea. If I can get colors out of it, pretty much anybody could.
Old 2006-10-18, 7:49am
Does it come in Purple???

As a noobie I would add DAP - to me it seems so versatile - you can get A LOT of different colors out of one rod - it seems more so with this than any of the other colors I have tried. I also like the green amber purple. Butterscotch is also good - plus the benefits of some metallic sheen - anything that sparkles and glows is good in my book.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-10-18, 9:23am

Maybe that black you were telling me about? Something to back pendants with. Oh and a white that doesn't boil? And more cowbell.

Old 2006-10-18, 9:59am

i personally had a much easier time getting purples out of the triple passion and silver creek than with the amber purples. I bought the NS Auroura(sp?) frit when i first started and could strike it quite easily, i love the colours you can get with it.
Old 2006-10-18, 7:39pm
daughter and I

Chad, let us know here in the boro room when the sample packs are up! Thanks

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-10-18, 9:27pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Man, I'd definitely throw in a rod of Elvis.
Easiest Red transparent EVAH!
Maybe Raven and Egyptian just because ya need black and white.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-10-19, 1:52am
boro color bender

I'd throw in some Turquesa or Irrid instead of cobalt. It'll give you the blues, but it also has that whispy boro look people are after. or maybe even blue green... that gives you the color shift. Ah hell, just sell them a NS sample pack. It has one of every color!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-26, 5:35pm

Definitely GA 987 Amazon Night to help set a neutral flame.
Old 2006-10-26, 7:47pm
Oooooh Baby!

Oooooh, Ooooooh, Ooooooh! I can't wait for the beginner sample pack!

Old 2006-10-27, 6:03am
ManBearPig

I hope to have it listed by the end of next week. I ordered some color, but I have to wait until it gets here before I can list it...

Old 2006-10-30, 10:23am
ManBearPig

Okay. Got the sample packs together. Not all of the glass is in stock, so I'm taking pre-orders right now. Also included in this set are printed tutorials and tips on using the colors. I'm working on taking photos (which will be included in the tutorials) of all the different colors in their raw and finished form, and photos of pieces made with the different colors included in this set.

The set can be found at:

http://www.soleiletlune.com/store/in...&productId=234

Old 2006-10-30, 2:11pm
Oooooh Baby!

Hi, Just placed an order, but I think something went weird with my payment. could you check on it. hopefully it didn't charge twice. I only want one beginner's pack. Thank for putting this package together.

Old 2006-10-30, 2:18pm
ManBearPig

Nope. It came through correctly.

Old 2006-10-30, 2:34pm
Oooooh Baby!

thanks