Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-29, 12:28pm

Default If Boro = Pyrex, I want a Casserole Dish!

How cool would that be? I've spent the day making twisties out of all the unidentified broken rods from moving. Then I make beads not knowing what's going to come out. When I strike them, I'm getting outstanding color combos - and probably missing a ton of them from being a novice. But I was thinking, how gorgeous would it be to take all the scraps, fuse them into sheet form and slump some casserole dishes and strike. Holy cows wouldn't that would be awesome!
Old 2006-09-29, 12:34pm

I've thought of that. Wouldn't it be fun?
Old 2006-09-29, 12:51pm
Safety ALWAYS

It would be lovely, wouldn't it?

I've messed around with boro clear and colors like that, but I always ended up with a devitrified mess. I think part of the problem is that the kiln needs to have a lot of oxygen pumped into it to keep the glass "clean" and "clear" - otherwise you end up with crap on the surface. Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-29, 12:54pm
boro color bender

Boro is hard to fuse without getting devit. I'll have to check on the fusing temp, but what I've worked out in my head is to have two different kilns. Put one at 1050 and the other at fusing temp. You'll have to come up with a shelf that you can move from kiln to kiln, while it's hot. I'd put the piece in the 1050 kiln and get it up to temp. Then stick it in the kiln at fuse temp. When it's done, you bring it to the 1050 kiln again and anneal. This would keep it out of the temp range where devit happens. It's a great idea and one I've put alot of thought into. Just haven't done it yet.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-09-29, 12:55pm
boro color bender

Hey Mike... it's not lack of oxygen, it's lingering in the midrange temps too long.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-09-29, 1:18pm

Can you imagine what those would sell for/ you'd get into SOFA and all kind of magazines like Metropolis Magazine (ever seen it? awesome http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/).
Old 2006-09-29, 4:27pm
product of the universe

I heard a rumor GA is working on fusible boro colors. Could just be a rumor though.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-09-29, 5:52pm
boro color bender

Chris... Henry was the person I was talking to. I'm sure some colors are more friendly to fuse than others... much like soft glass. I can't wait to play with it now...

Old 2006-09-29, 6:08pm

You are such a tease.
Old 2006-09-29, 6:41pm
ManBearPig

From what I remember, the Pyrex used for cookware is borosilicate, but not 33 COE. I think it's in the 50 COE range. Abe at Precision was selling 50 COE boro cullet at one time that would be perfect for something like that, but it was all clear, and someone would have to develop color formulas and all that.

Old 2006-09-29, 7:17pm

I've wondered if the guys with big torches and lathes and such could do something along this line.

Of course people with big toys probably aren't interested in what I'd like to have in the way of a casserole dish.
Old 2006-09-29, 11:18pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I remember a thread about this before, and someone had a very smart comment. Since a lot of the pretty colors contain silver it might not be safe to use, the metal contents might give off on your food and poison you

Suzanne

Old 2006-09-30, 4:01am
Serenity Now!

Very good point, Suzanne!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-30, 4:22am
boro color bender

It's not the silver I'd worry about. Silver isn't harmful like some of the other metals and oxides... it does bring up an interesting point about cooking in it. If it was used for cooking, I'd think a harmless color would have to be used to encase the questionable colors. Once it's encased, it's not an issue.

Old 2006-09-30, 7:38am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Well you got a point Brent but doesn't clear have stuff in it to make it clear like soft glass? Lead is used in soft glass clear, the more lead, the better the colors, do you know what is used to make boro clear clear ? I hope I am clear

Old 2006-09-30, 8:09am
boro color bender

I don't beleive there is any lead in Pyrex clear...

Old 2006-10-11, 8:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
I've wondered if the guys with big torches and lathes and such could do something along this line.

Of course people with big toys probably aren't interested in what I'd like to have in the way of a casserole dish.
You and me both!
Old 2006-10-25, 5:21pm

Default fusing Boro

very interesting thread. At Ga we are looking for any information that people may be gathering on fusing and slumping they may be gathering. I do have some thoughts to share based on our experiences.

First, boro is fusible. Second oxygen is a negative to the process so there is no need to flood the kiln. Third, cristobalite does form during the fusing process; to minimize the formation ramp schedules need to avoid phase separation temperatures.

Next, since the inception of the boro fusing project we have been working on our formulations and have in fact tweaked many formulas. Our goal is to have all the colors to a state were they can be ramped up and down five times. Many of you may have noticed subtle changes in the refractive index, viscosity or melting temperature of a color. This has been a long and labor intensive task but has a payoff for the lampworker as well. As more flameworkers push the envelope on complexity and increase the demands on the glass in the flame (both time and temperatures) GA has been able to keep up because of our R & D.

Finally, the metals in the glass; made me want to throw a plate in the microwave to see what would happen. In general our colors have all been independently tested and we have received the AP seal (non toxic) from the ACMI. You the artist are still under legal obligation to test anything that touches the lips or comes in contact with food prior to sale. The testing for a single design is about $50 to $80 and would apply to all pieces that were made with that design or relative mix of colors. I believe that all the colors would pass these tests. (Note: we us no lead in our colors and there are other ingredients that we no longer use because they were leachable.) The cadmium colors may not be suitable for skillets or casserole pans but should be fine for plates, glasses. (I am currently testing a design for a pint glass with 2 chrome and 3 cadmium colors.)

In conclusion: go for it.

PS: the “pyrex” stuff on the market is anywhere from 52 to 70 COE. Since it is all one color COE wasn’t an issue, rather working time was.

Henry
Old 2006-10-25, 6:45pm
ManBearPig

Henry? "The" Henry?

Man, I hope you come around here a lot more. I know there are some people on here that know about color, but it would be great to see someone who knows about it like you do start sharing tips with us...

Old 2006-10-25, 7:45pm

If you fused colored to clear with the clear on the inside of the bowl/whatever/food-touching wouldn't that be safe? Colored outer surface, clear inner?
Old 2006-10-25, 7:54pm

So Henry - Dude _ let me ask you this --

Since my question brought you out of the lab to mingle with the masses, when you make the first casserole dish - kin Ah have it? Or a popcorn bowl? Doesn't have to be huge...
Old 2006-10-25, 8:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Hey you guys, I think we just got touched by a god!

Old 2006-10-25, 8:32pm
I'm a lilac!

<Bowing down reverently>

Old 2006-10-26, 4:52am
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Henry? "The" Henry?

Man, I hope you come around here a lot more. I know there are some people on here that know about color, but it would be great to see someone who knows about it like you do start sharing tips with us...
Ditto!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: