Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-10-25, 9:07pm
needs to light the torch.

Default Best Bead Release for Boro???

I searched the forum before I posted and there was no recommendation for bead release when using boro...

I am just starting to play with boro and the bead release I am using is not working well for me…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-25, 10:23pm
<--- Time traveler

FosterFire makes a heavy duty bead release for boro. It's also good for hollows, I've heard.
Old 2005-10-26, 5:59am
ManBearPig

I use regular Foster Fire for boro. I had some of the heavy duty, but it dried out in like 2 weeks. I haven't had a problem with the standard formula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

•
•
•
Old 2005-10-26, 6:19am
Ad astra per aspera

I have a funky blend. It all started cuz I was getting low on Fusion when I first met Robin Foster and tried FosterFire. She said to go ahead and mix 'em, so I did! Then, when she came out with the heavy duty boro formula, I didn't get around to trying my sample until it had started to dry out, so I scraped it into my Fusion/FF blend and I think it works great! It's a little grainy but I think that's what helps it to hold so well. I holds for hollows, boro, even blown shapes ala Tink vessels.

Old 2006-10-19, 2:36pm
Where's the coffee?

Hate to bring up a really old thread, but I have the Fosterfire heavy duty and the regular Fosterfire and both of them flake off when I am working with boro. Would it help if I dipped the mandrels twice? Air dry? Flame dry? I love tinkering on the darkside but I'm about to give up...

Old 2006-10-19, 2:56pm
Nah, not really...;)

I use Arrow Springs Dip-N-Go Sludge, it works the best for me and I've tried most of them out there!

Old 2006-10-19, 4:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonfireBeads
Hate to bring up a really old thread, but I have the Fosterfire heavy duty and the regular Fosterfire and both of them flake off when I am working with boro. Would it help if I dipped the mandrels twice? Air dry? Flame dry? I love tinkering on the darkside but I'm about to give up...

I do not have good luck with FF heavy duty if I flame dry it, but it is awesome if I let it air dry for at least 6 hours or so. No flaking at all.
Old 2006-10-19, 5:27pm
Where's the coffee?

I will give the air drying a try because the flame drying was really not getting it, lol. If that doesn't work I'll try the Dip-N-Go. Thank you so much!

Old 2006-10-19, 6:52pm
Does it come in Purple???

I use fosterfire regular and I found an old jar of sludge plus. I was running low on FF so I added the sludge plus to it. I air AND flame dry depending on my level of preparedness

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-10-19, 11:27pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

yeah I agree FF heavy duty is great just DON"T flame dry it...it is far stronger to be left to dry on it's own. The same goes with the normal stuff don't flame dry it it loses it's holding power.
Old 2006-10-19, 11:45pm
I'm a lilac!

I love the FF heavy duty, always air dried, and thinner than you might think it should be. If it starts to dry out or gets really thick add plain old tap water to thin it out again!

For the last year or so I've been using a homemade bead release recipe Michael Barley gave me, which is 1/2 kiln wash and 1/2 alumina hydrate. Just fot the heck of it I threw in some (not sure how much, not sure it matters much) diatomaceous earth. I love it! It's my favorite bead release so far, and about $25 makes more bead release than I will probably use in my whole life.

Old 2006-10-20, 12:55am
Boldly going

I currently use Sludge Plus. I bought FF heavy duty and tried it but was very disappointed with it. It flaked off easily. I always air dry. I plan to try it again thinned out a bit, just to make sure it was operator error that made it not work.

Brad

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2006-10-20, 1:10am

I'm a Dip N Go fan myself.
Old 2006-10-20, 6:33pm

1/4 Fosterfire 3/4 BOM or
1/4 FF 3/4 Super Blue Sludge
G.
Old 2006-10-27, 2:10pm

Currently using, 1/2 Foster Fire, 1/2 Fusion. Still get flaking, so I am always looking for something even better...

Sandy
Old 2006-10-28, 9:16am
tweetysweetie

I like FPI for boro..I use FF to mix into my Choice / BOM...I'm a latent mad scientists in the bead release scheme of things, lol.

The FF has to be put on the mandral thin, almost to where you see the stainless steel through it..sheer, otherwise if too thick it does flake & spit...those brown spots on my hands?? They ARE NOT age spots!!! lol

Old 2006-10-28, 9:20am
Nah, not really...;)

The thinness freaks me out? Drip, drip, drip. I must be weird!