No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-02, 4:22pm

Default Navy & Gold beads for charity!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I'm making some beads in school colors...navy & GOLD. These were my elementary school colors (30+ years ago). Anyway, one of my classmates is very sick and the medical expenses are very high. I will be donating these beads and asking the recipients to donate whatever they can to this mutual friend.

Anyway...I'm having trouble with the "gold." I tried a Dark Blue base....placed white dots and gold aventurine (home made stringer) on top...the gold just did not pop...too light!

Then....Dark Blue base (which I like), white dots with dark transparent amber on top....came out too dark...almost orange!!!!!

A friend recommended aurae (reduced), but I don't have any on had...and really rather not use silver class unless absolutely necessary.

I'm thinking about trying a lighter amber (transparent) on top of my white dot!

Any ideas? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rudy; 2011-01-02 at 6:26pm. Reason: wrong title
Old 2011-01-02, 4:56pm

Maybe white dots, with a light amber, then the gold aventurine?
Or simply an opaque yellow dot?
Best wishes with this!
Old 2011-01-02, 5:05pm

Thanks....light amber followed by the gold aventurine is what I was thinking for my next attempt, but am hoping that someone will tell me that they have done this!

I'm also thinking that maybe if I take the light amber rod and mix it with the gold aventurine rod...making a mixed stringer...that might work! Ugh!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 2011-01-02, 6:21pm
Loving learning

I'm just following along hoping to learn, but I'm confused. If the colors are Navy & blue (lighter blue?) why do you have to add the gold, is it just for contrast? Why not use white or ivory?
Old 2011-01-02, 6:25pm

NO....I messed up the title...it should read Navy and Gold...Duh....I tried to edit but it does not let me edit the title...just the body.

Just fixed the title! YAY

Old 2011-01-02, 6:41pm
Hobby Junkie

I'd go with light amber over white.

Old 2011-01-02, 7:22pm
as in the state

If you have time to get some glass, try Iris Gold stringer. When reduced, it makes a very nice gold metallic color.

-Amy
Old 2011-01-02, 8:10pm
The Brighter the Better!

If you know how to use the brass wire to get the bubble effect, why not try a tiny core of clear, then encase in blue,(or just a core of Trans Colbolt instead), then another layer of clear, wrap around the brass but do not let the flame touch the brass. Instead just keep the bead warm at the side or behind the flame and then encase the bead in clear. Heat to get the bubbles but not too much for they get really big and want to come to the surface. Works best in a round bead. Then you can always surface decorate with some bubble dots in white and amber! Hope that helps!!! Best of luck and I hope that they go well so that you can help your friend,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2011-01-03, 5:33am

Awesome suggestions...thanks so much! I'll be giving it another go and will post when I am done! Thanks....any more suggestions welcomed.

Old 2011-01-03, 7:51am
Lampworkaholic!

Frantz sells a glass called 14K that is an amber gold transparent. But light amber over white dots should appear gold. What about making goldstone stringer and using it for raised decoration? That would add some real gold bling.

Our HS colors are purple and gold and amethyst and amber two-tone beads are nice, but really, opaque colors would be just as good, say CiM Eggplant and one of the CiM Pumpkin Uniques that are more toward yellow. Or in your case, Ming instead of Eggplant, or Effetre Dark Lapis Pastel.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox