No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-25, 9:22pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default favorite black?

what is your favorite black? I been hearing alot about hades? most of my glass is 104. some silver glass is 96, but doesnt seem to mind being on a base of 104

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-25, 9:56pm
as in the state

Depends on what you want to use it for.

Hades can sometimes react like intense black. It's a nice, saturated black. 104 and made by CiM.

Vetrofond black is, to ME, denser than moretti black. I have both, and use them both.

So I guess it's safe to say I don't have a favorite black because I have a different purpose for each.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-26, 10:12am
Lampworkaholic!

Tuxedo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-26, 10:50am
Queen Bee

I love Tuxedo as well - and it's very affordable.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-03-27, 12:09pm
bug freak -> glass freak

Effetre black, all the way. It is less dense, but not by much, and I think it flows better, and has fewer discoloration/ scumminess issues than any of the other blacks out there that I've tried. I use a LOT of it, and am very used to its working properties, so perhaps I'm a bit biased...

Check out my website!

Old 2010-03-27, 8:38pm
He can do the origami

I think Amy nails it perfectly, it completely depends on the application you are using it for. One of the examples I can add to Amy's is using regular Effetre black under other colors such as white or ivory when I am doing soft glass off mandrel sculptural work. The black is stiff and works nicely for sculptural work as a base glass.

So I think it really is important to learn the different characteristics of each "black" or each "ivory" or "red" etc and find out which ones you like best for different applications.

Otter
Old 2010-03-27, 9:41pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

the black i have boils and scums, it sucks. then again, using it for base with raku and mcd. ordered some hades, ive heard other people say it makes it POP..

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-28, 3:45pm

Kelly,

For use with 96 Raku (not the newer 104 version), I like U-96 black. It's really black, it's creamy, and it doesn't boil.

I've had the same problem you've been encountering when I'm working the Raku really hard to get the max color from it ... too much heat and the stinking 104 black gets cranky.

Just ask and I'll bring you a couple rods of U-96 to try.

Nolly
Old 2010-03-28, 7:40pm
Burning through glass

CiM Hades is my fav and I use it with everything. I gave up on Eff. black when it started giving me this weird sheen/scum on the surface while working it for any length of time... I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Hades solved the problem, and plus I really like using a very dense black that doesn't have a real hue to itself. And it also will react with a lot of silver glasses in a reduction flame, a bonus in my book.

That's my two cents!
Renee

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2010-03-29, 4:06pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

thanks NOlly, as usual, YOU ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
Kelly,

For use with 96 Raku (not the newer 104 version), I like U-96 black. It's really black, it's creamy, and it doesn't boil.

I've had the same problem you've been encountering when I'm working the Raku really hard to get the max color from it ... too much heat and the stinking 104 black gets cranky.

Just ask and I'll bring you a couple rods of U-96 to try.

Nolly

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2010-03-29, 10:05pm
working to pay for glass

Hades for me Too!!