No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-30, 12:20pm
randomly active member

Default How much do you buy?

When you buy glass, how much do you buy at one time? Do you start out with 1/4 pound or just a single rod to test it out first? If it is a staple color do you buy in 1, 2, 5 pound increments? Do you always combine your purchases for quantity discounts or do you just buy as you need?

I'm just curious how everyone likes to 'shop' for glass.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.:.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-30, 12:48pm
Powers Art Studio

When we buy we try to reach the highest discount % by buying larger orders. When we are trying out a new color we usually buy a 1/4# to start. In the slow times of year (winter for us) we only buy 1# on the most important colors since we usually run out but have enough other colors that we can still manage and possibly come up with new color combos that we wouldn't normally try.

Jason

Old 2010-03-30, 12:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I try to hit the highest discount level too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-30, 1:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

1/2 lb. minimum, I can always find something to do with it, 2 lbs. if I know I love it or it is a super great price and I will use it eventually.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-30, 1:15pm

Right now I'm mostly buying special colors that may not come around again and I buy a pound - sometimes 2 if they are not too pricey. When I refill colors I use a lot of, I also buy a pound usually and try to hit a discount rate. Since I don't sell beads yet, I'm probably irrelevant. I've found that you should get what you can afford of colors you like since many runs of glass are unique. It's pretty frustrating though because the great special batches are sold by the time I decide I need more.....I rarely buy less than 1/4 pound of something - though when I was just starting I did - to get a variety. For me - really there's no ugly glass though some are more difficult to work with.

Coral is a great example. Every single batch is different, and although most are pretty, you can't expect what you ordered last time to look like the current run...
Old 2010-03-30, 3:14pm
FireDancer Glass

I am too broke to buy in #'s. I usually by 1/4 to 1/2's when I can afford more glass. There are too many colors out there to buy!

Christy
Old 2010-03-30, 4:47pm
one day at a time

I buy glass once a month or so, and anywhere between 6 to 10lbs each time.
Old 2010-03-30, 4:56pm

I buy it a few times a year, and always stock up on colors I like... Definitely enough for Frantz's discount, or hitting their sales weekly if an item I like is on a better sale, I'll buy between 2-10 lbs of it. (The 10's usually for odd lots that I know I like and use a lot - bubblegum pink and lemongrass come to mind.)

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-30, 5:52pm
Jeff

I am so very new at this; I've never ordered glass before. So I'm curious, even though rods vary in mass, what sort of ballpark are you talking about in terms of number when you talk about a pound? Also is there any great variation in weight between different COEs?
Old 2010-03-30, 5:55pm
GlassDocNC

1 or 2 lbs per color ususally unless it's something I love. Total order in pounds ???? but "too much" according to hubby (though he says it quite tolerantly).
Old 2010-03-30, 6:29pm
Salt Box Beads

1-2 pounds... of most colors. More if ordering black, white, amber, ivory or clear, Usually 3-5 pounds of those.

Lorraine
Old 2010-03-30, 7:56pm

whatever i can afford. sometimes that's just one rod to try out --like with reichenbachs 104 purple silver--i'm now in love with it!--other times I get a ''box on hold'' going @ frantz with the sales full of quarters, halfs & a few full #'s!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-30, 8:22pm
And silence is golden

I'm the considerate type and try to leave glass for others to purchase. I usually buy in 1/4 pound bundles with a total of under 10 lbs. of various colors to be shipped. I shop every few months.
Old 2010-03-30, 8:53pm

Too much - according to my husband!

Old 2010-03-31, 4:17am
BeadsonCypress

I've been forbidden to buy anymore glass until my unwrapped stashes are inventoried and put away.....gee I think I might have some more hidden under my bed. Me a glass ho.....nah.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-03-31, 6:16am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
I've been forbidden to buy anymore glass until my unwrapped stashes are inventoried and put away.....gee I think I might have some more hidden under my bed. Me a glass ho.....nah.
hahaha
Old 2010-03-31, 7:25am
one day at a time

To get an idea of how much glass makes a set of beads, here's one example:

The average 5-6mm rod makes 14-16 beads, about 9mm x 12mm in size.

Ask me how I know.....hehe!

Now you can figure out why I order glass every month, as I make sometimes hundreds in a week. Well, almost all the time these days.
Old 2010-03-31, 7:29am
Torching since 2004

I buy in 5lb lots of staple colors and then others such as Terranova 2.1 I bought a boatload since I like this batch. It just depends on the type of glass but definitely try to reach the discount levels with Frantz.

Old 2010-03-31, 9:01am
as in the state

An asston.

Does that answer your question?

I haven't bought glass in a while, so this last month, I have been hitting it pretty hard. I ordered maybe 75 lbs from Frantz of various colors. As far as total order, I try to reach my maximum discount without buying a bunch of stuff I feel I don't need (and for me to feel I don't need it...it's gotta be pretty bad..)

Usually if it's a color I *really* like, I will get 2 lbs. If it's a color I'm just trying to fill in an order with (say black, white, ivory, etc) I will get 1 lb. If it's a color I'm just trying for the first time I usually order 1/4 or 1/2 lb. I don't like to order just a rod 'cause "what if I really like the color and then I have to re-order the glass?!?!?" Haha.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-31, 9:09am
one day at a time

I order a pound or two of each of my most used colors, and then just a few rods each for several of the expensive handpulled colors. Those are for using on the surface applications, so used sparingly. I have to order glass every month, so as this works out, it all runs down low at the same time.

Uh...those colors aren't handpulled anymore, are they?? Anyway, you know what I meant.
Old 2010-03-31, 9:30am
Melt That Glass

I ususally buy 1/4#, unless it is clear, black, white, or ivory--then 1# of each...Generally have a about 8-10# of glass total. I also look for the greatest discount, and will jump from supplier to supplier to see which one will fill my order for the least amt.

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2010-03-31, 9:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
1/2 lb. minimum, I can always find something to do with it, 2 lbs. if I know I love it or it is a super great price and I will use it eventually.
Me, too.
Old 2010-03-31, 10:20am
sunscreen me baby

I used to have 2 rules. A lot and often

But I have a pretty good stash going so now: If it's a new one and I'm not sure on the color I buy 1/4lb. If I am pretty sure I will like the color but I don't own it I buy 1 lb. The staples I buy 5 lbs. I try to purchase at the maximum discount or during a sale.

~

Old 2010-03-31, 1:34pm
one day at a time

Except I bought a whole pound of that Vetrofond translucent yellow thinking it would be a little like the old and rare Effetre 409....nah!

What to do with a whole pound of this stuff with the streaky eeky core?!
Old 2010-03-31, 4:02pm

Lisi go over to the garage there is a thread going where everyone's trading ugly glass for ugly glass. LOL

I buy glass every couple of months and like to shop places that sell by the rod. I like to get a couple of rods of colors I haven't tried yet to see if I'm going to like it. The problem with that as mentioned by someone else is sometimes you get a really great color and you only have 1 or 2 rods and which you had a butt load of it. Like Crocus. Love it. Out of it and can't afford to order more right now. I made a few beads out of it for my Troll bracelet and want more. By the rod works great for me on Double Helix glass too. Usually between $3.50 and $5 per rod. 10 rods of silver glass can run $50 easily. I would rather have 5 different colors than 1/2 pound of one color if $50 is all I have to spend.

Stand by colors like black, white, ivory, clear I order 1 pound of each every order. I seem to be running out of black alot lately so next time I think I'll order 2 pounds.

I'm glad you asked this question I'm been wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Except I bought a whole pound of that Vetrofond translucent yellow thinking it would be a little like the old and rare Effetre 409....nah!

What to do with a whole pound of this stuff with the streaky eeky core?!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-03-31, 6:18pm
Dangerous Woman

It depends on the sale and color. If I'm ordering from Frantz and need a few more pounds to make the next discount level I'll order a few pounds of a cheap color I know I'll need - like clear. If it is a really good sale and I know I need/like the color I'll buy as much as I can afford. Usually no more than 5 lbs at a time.

If it is a new color usually 1/4 lb unless it get raves here then I'll go for a pound. I remember when I first got into glass I tought buying 20 lbs at a time was for wholesalers. I've done it quite a few times now myself and I don't sell glass at all!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-31, 6:40pm

I try to buy up to the limit of the best postage option.

Particularly if it's coming from the USA.

I have just a 1/4lb of most of my colours as I just can't afford to buy lb and lb's of any one thing.

I have a very modest stash indeed.
Old 2010-03-31, 6:49pm
Life is change. Love it

1/4 pounds for new glass, but then I buy absolutely every new glass to come out in 104. usually 2lb of stuff I use all the time - Hades, and whatever clear isn't cracking to shit that week

Old 2010-03-31, 8:37pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
To get an idea of how much glass makes a set of beads, here's one example:

The average 5-6mm rod makes 14-16 beads, about 9mm x 12mm in size.

Ask me how I know.....hehe!

Now you can figure out why I order glass every month, as I make sometimes hundreds in a week. Well, almost all the time these days.
Haha. I average at least one full rod in a bead, not counting surface decoration.

OK so I make honkin' big beads.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-31, 8:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
... Hades, and whatever clear isn't cracking to shit that week
Roger that!