LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-12, 4:36pm

Default Is this okay?

I have a table on an exterior wall. Will an exhaust fan installed thru the wall work as good as an overhead fan? My table is four foot wide and the fan is 1000 cfm with a damper. If this is okay how do you test for the best position (high or low). Also thier are 2 big sliding windows in each corner. Would opening just one with a fan be enough make up air? Thanks for you help.

Deena
Old 2006-11-12, 4:44pm
boro color bender

You want the make up air to come from behind you if possible. There are a ton of boro pipe guys with this set-up. If you are removing the bad air before you breath it, it's all good. A foot or so above the torch should be enough height if you are close enough to the fan. Insense works great for testing a system. The smoke is both visible and scented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-12, 5:28pm

Thanks for your help. I would like to start fuming a little and my heavy duty fan in the window is not enough!
Old 2006-11-13, 3:56am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Try your testing in a dark room with a flashlight. Turn all the lights off, light the torch, burn incense, or I prefer a cigar , and watch where the flow of air goes. This is a good way to evaluate your make up air and how much you need to make your exhaust work to the best of it's ability. It's also a good way to check for leaks.

After all the time I've spent researching vent systems the one thing I think I've learned is that no two are alike and you need to tweek your's to meet your specific conditions, there is no universal answer that will work for everyone.

Edie
Old 2006-11-13, 5:34am
Safety ALWAYS

You should put some kind of hood over the work bench to trap the fumes and particulate material, then duct it to the fan.

Without a duct/hood, the fan is drawing general room air and not ventilating your workspace.

Fresh air can come from anywhere, as long as it is at least 10 linear feet from the exhaust fan.

The best way to get the fresh air (in my opinion) is to duct the fresh air direct to your bench and up and underneath your bench, ducting to the benchtop so it can be drawn up and out the exhaust. Doing it this way will reduce the air temperature/humidity impact on the room air.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-13, 6:55pm

I'm setting up a new studio and need to locate an exhaust fan set up - any suggestions where I can purchase one?
Old 2006-11-14, 1:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Fresh air can come from anywhere, as long as it is at least 10 linear feet from the exhaust fan.

The best way to get the fresh air (in my opinion) is to duct the fresh air direct to your bench and up and underneath your bench, ducting to the benchtop so it can be drawn up and out the exhaust. Doing it this way will reduce the air temperature/humidity impact on the room air.

I asked this question awhile ago because my studio, which is in my home, got so damn cold with the open door for makeup air and did exactly what was suggested.

It was so damn easy to bring the fresh makeup air right from the window that was infront of my table, up and underneath my torch, that I feel stupid that I never thought of it before, didn't even cross my mind. I've been freezing my butt off for the last four years and now, my exhaust works great and the heat from the furnace actually stays in the room.

Thanks for the info!
Edie
Old 2006-11-14, 5:36am
boro color bender

This also works well for us southern folks. Duct the AC into your lap... It creates a cool breaze right on you. There's really no way to keep a glass studio air conditioned in the summer, so keeping yourself cool is the next best thing.

I'd imagine the only draw back to ducting your make-up air like this, up north in the winter, is the freezing cold make up air right in your lap. I guess if the rest of the room is warm, it's better than no heat at all. I don't understand you northern people... it's uninhabitable!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-14, 7:16am
Safety ALWAYS

Well, Brent, if you read what I wrote you would notice that I said to duct it into the top of the workbench, not into your lap.

Up through the benchtop at the back of the workstation, use a floor register duct and grill.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-14, 9:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
This also works well for us southern folks. Duct the AC into your lap... It creates a cool breaze right on you. There's really no way to keep a glass studio air conditioned in the summer, so keeping yourself cool is the next best thing.

I'd imagine the only draw back to ducting your make-up air like this, up north in the winter, is the freezing cold make up air right in your lap. I guess if the rest of the room is warm, it's better than no heat at all. I don't understand you northern people... it's uninhabitable!
Huh????

You can keep room cool or warm if you direct make up air properly...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-11-14, 9:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I don't understand you northern people... it's uninhabitable!

LOL Brent, it might get cold, but we don't have bugs the size of small mice that put dents in your car! When I lived in Florida, I had to sleep with the lights on {{{shudder}}}