Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-16, 3:38pm
Broken

Default Lauscha Brownie and Silvered Buckthorn?

I have Lauscha Brownie and Silvered Buckthorn and they both look exactly the same to me? Does anyone know if this is the same glass just renamed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-16, 3:46pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have them both also. I purchased the SB on the hope that it is the same as the NB. I still need to melt the Silver Buckhorn before I know for sure

Old 2008-04-16, 4:44pm
Broken

I just made a bead with both and they look the same to me I am a bit peeved, I wish people wouldn't change names.

Old 2008-04-16, 4:46pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I just made a bead with both and they look the same to me I am a bit peeved, I wish people wouldn't change names.

Well that's good news for me

I would guess the reason that they changed names is that Nuclear Brownie was the name given to the glass by the Lauscha COTM club. Maybe Silvered Buckhorn was the original name.

Old 2008-04-17, 10:23am

I never had Nuclear Brownie but I didn't change any name. The factory name is Buckhorn with Silber (that is German for Silver) and that's what my invoice says!! Some names I do change. For instance "Steel Blue" Lauscha is "Dark Teal" by the factory name but if I listed it as "Dark Teal" no one would ever be able to find "Steel Blue" when they go looking for it because others before me have made it known as Steel Blue!

Paula

p.s. Nicker Did you heat them are are you looking at them cold??

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-17, 10:24am
Broken

Grace assures me they are the same glass, and from the beads I did they look exactly the same. So now I have 2 lbs instead of 1 of the silvered buckthorn

Old 2008-04-17, 10:47am
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Grace assures me they are the same glass, and from the beads I did they look exactly the same. So now I have 2 lbs instead of 1 of the silvered buckthorn
Sounds like a really nice color!!!!

Old 2008-04-17, 12:02pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I never had Nuclear Brownie but I didn't change any name. The factory name is Buckhorn with Silber (that is German for Silver) and that's what my invoice says!! Some names I do change. For instance "Steel Blue" Lauscha is "Dark Teal" by the factory name but if I listed it as "Dark Teal" no one would ever be able to find "Steel Blue" when they go looking for it because others before me have made it known as Steel Blue!

Paula

p.s. Nicker Did you heat them are are you looking at them cold??
Paula - I wasn't implying that you changed the name - I know that you use the Lauscha factory names. It would have been Marcie that changed the name ( or created the name) for the COTM club. I made the connection because of the rod color. And I'm glad I did

Old 2008-04-17, 12:55pm

Oh I know Mary Beth.I just wanted to be sure Nicker (and everyone else) knew that I didn't change the name.
I guess it's pretty easy to figure out though that I didn't. I am loving this glass btw. It does wonderful things as a bottom layer under silver colors..
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-17, 3:04pm

Do you have more that the sample packs in the milky way colors?
Old 2008-04-17, 5:08pm

Yep I have a lot of them!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-21, 12:37pm

Actually, Nuclear Brownie is the original name! They MADE the color for me. And it was exclusive to our club for 4 months, and then released to the world. The factory does have their own names and numbers which are far less flowery than the names that distributors choose for their websites and catalogues. Buckhorn with Silver is their internal name for it, and therefore the name that distributors would see on their invoices. But it was born between us as Nuclear Brownie, with their own internal reference number.

It IS the same. Distributors who buy it direct can call it whatever they want. I sell to my own distributors and encourage them to keep club names wherever possible in order to avoid confusion. ABR is the only one who has this one, at least from me. But, for instance, Grace, the Lauscha Lady, buys direct from the factory & I believe kept Supernova and Blutonium as the names she sold club colors as, which helped avoid confusion.

By the way, I HAVE 18 pounds of Nuclear Brownie/Buckhorn with Silver, in 6-8mm.
It's lovely stuff.(www.firelady.com.) Paula, do you need some....I didn't see if you'd run out or not....I haven't read this whole thread, just popped in to see what the buzz was I'd heard about the Buckhorn with Silver. Even I was confused, and had to call Lauscha to find out if they were the same.

Whatever you call it, it's a great color.

Although I think I liked Caramello just a little more because of the reddish blush you could get. But.....that's sold out everywhere till they make it again. Can't wait till they do.

But I agree, it's confusing! If all of us distributors sold by Lauscha stock number instead of name, or in addition to name, we would all be on the same page. However, things like SNT 100 0608 are less exciting and descriptive to customers then some yummy string of adjectives that make your mouth water. For instance, all this talk about brownies has created an intense chocolate craving. I'm off to find something yummy.

Bye for now.

M.
Old 2008-04-21, 1:18pm

PS. I just spoke to Grace, "The Lauscha Lady", and guess what! She DOES have some Caramello in stock, so that's exciting.....I thought it was gone from North America altogether for months, but she's got a little bit.

We were discussing this name thing, and she agreed that it would be wonderful if we all sold by number in order to avoid confusion.....So maybe Lauscha distributors could unite and solve the name problem. Paula, if you like the idea, email me. We could have a conference call with Grace and see what came out of it!!

Although, just to show how arbitrary this stuff can get, I mentioned to Grace how wonderful it was that she sold Supernova and Blutonium with the club name to avoid confusion, and she said that those were the names on her invoices.

Those weren't even the names on MY invoices!!!! Mine were, like I said, much more businesslike, probably something along the lines of transparent blue violet dark with silver.....

Oh well.
Just wanted to be accurate about the Caramello.

Found some chocolate. Not brownies, but close enough.
See, if we sold by number, not name, we might even lose weight!

M.
Old 2008-04-22, 11:01am

Thanks for the Brownie offer Marcie but right now I have more glass than money!
As for selling by stock numbers~I prefer to sell by names. That is how my entire system is set up. And I think in the long run it's easier on the buyer as the names make more sense than the numbers. Plus batches vary anyway so the same number doesn't always mean the same color..
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-23, 12:53am

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I'll make sure when my glass arrives that I will put Nuclear Brownie/Buckhorn with Silver together so people will know it's the same color.
Wish it would get here already!!!

Old 2008-04-23, 12:58am
kindasorta Spring almost

I am pretty sure that Grace and Paula have plenty of caramello...

Carol Anne

Old 2008-04-23, 1:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Thanks for the Brownie offer Marcie but right now I have more glass than money!
As for selling by stock numbers~I prefer to sell by names. That is how my entire system is set up. And I think in the long run it's easier on the buyer as the names make more sense than the numbers. Plus batches vary anyway so the same number doesn't always mean the same color..
Paula
Lausha's stock numbers list all three transparent reds as SNT-220
Light, Medium and Dark Red all have SNT -220.
That would be pretty confusing for the customer. I'd rather sell by the name that is on my invoice. So far it's worked well.

Old 2008-04-23, 4:45am
kindasorta Spring almost

That is true. All the red batch goes in the oven to melt, and gets pulled, and it's different virtually every time, even though the same exact formula goes in. Red is the hardest color to make and to duplicate. (and that includes fuschia naturally...)

So with red, you get the number, but also the description on your invoice.

Translated from German...