No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-17, 7:34pm
Chrissy

Smile Bullseye or Italian glass??

Just wondering what everybody prefers...
Old 2009-02-17, 7:35pm

Depends, certain colors for BE, others for Effetre.

I use more Effetre though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-02-17, 7:43pm
I fart diamonds

Neither. Reichenbach, Kugler and Uroboros!

Old 2009-02-17, 10:07pm
honorary bead lady

Ford, Dodge, Chevy?
What ever you can easily get. I started out with Bullseye, because I could use it with sheet glass in the kiln and it was available close (Frantz is farther away). Then I got some mixed "104". A lot depends on what you want to do and what colors you want just don't mix the two.
Old 2009-02-17, 10:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love both, for different things. Love the silver 104 glass plus colors like Opal Yellow, Copper Green, Silver Plum, EDP. Bullseye has the most awesome palette of pinks plus true reds and I like the stiffness for making certain types of beads. Of course, I love the 96 coe line too.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-02-17, 11:01pm
Critter Mom

I'm a Bullseye user. Started out using Bullseye because I also do fusing and wanted to encorporate lampwork details in my fused pieces, and later found that 90 COE works perfectly for the sculptural pieces I've been doing. The only time I use 104 is when I'm taking a class.

Old 2009-02-17, 11:46pm

I use Italian and Lauscha and Cim....and then there's bullseye. A glass I carry and never use!!
But the good news is....I just started playing with it and don't know why I never used it before. Colors are true to rod form on most colors, the rods are stiffer which make hollow beads much easier and there are so many colors to choose from.
I received some "Strata" which is a new Odd color and for a person that doesn't really like reds and oranges....This color is Awesome!!! Alot of their odds remind me of the Oddly odds or cool colors from Moretti. Just a bunch of different colors swirled into one rod.
Plus..I do fusing (when I can) and like others have said....you can incorporate that glass into your fusing projects. The only thing I don't like is the 18 inch rods. Just too long for me so I cut them in half.
I've got a ton of bullseye in my personal stash and if you'd like to try some colors, I can send some to you to try out...
Just pm me if you want any!

Old 2009-02-17, 11:53pm
needs to light the torch.

BOTH!!!!

Old 2009-02-17, 11:55pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm with erose and Nicole... I love both, for different reasons, and I also love my 96 and my boro.

Old 2009-02-18, 12:11am

all of it.
Bullseye, moretti, lauscha (omg, lauscha!), any & all 104 I can get my hands on, I've got kinari hiding in my closet I've never melted yet (gottagettakiln), all the 96 coe I can get my grubby little hands on, I have yet to meet a glass I don't have fun melting...

I WANT SOME OF EVERYTHING PLEASE!!!

Now, if I just had the budget to afford it
still saving up for satake...haven't scored any caliente yet...need to get ahold of the R104 colors still....finally got some of the CIM colors into my stash recently...my bullseye still fits in the bottom of a tiny toolbox (someday I'll have a real collection of that, really I will )
*giggle*

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-18, 1:20am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood View Post
BOTH!!!!
ditto

Old 2009-02-18, 1:35am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
all of it.
Bullseye, moretti, lauscha (omg, lauscha!), any & all 104 I can get my hands on, I've got kinari hiding in my closet I've never melted yet (gottagettakiln), all the 96 coe I can get my grubby little hands on, I have yet to meet a glass I don't have fun melting...

I WANT SOME OF EVERYTHING PLEASE!!!
my kiln should be just about being shipped (ask Mike, not me), but having ordered (my mistake) and gotten some bullseye stringer while all my other glass is COE 104, can I mix that? (My physics education tells me I can't)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln

Last edited by maren; 2009-02-18 at 11:38pm.
Old 2009-02-18, 1:47am
I'm a lilac!

No, sadly I learned the hard way very early on that they don't mix! but you could perhaps pick up some of the wonderful Bullseye streaky odd-lots to use them with.

Old 2009-02-18, 3:42am
picking Job's Tears

Thanks for confirming Kalera, I thought so. At some point I'll either get more bullseye or give of those away. (trade (locally) Bullseye stringers for any 104 COE stringers?) (Any takers?)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-18, 3:45am
Knob Creek Glass

I love it all, and have a lot. Do not know where else to hide it.
Old 2009-02-18, 6:56am
yukue fumei

it depends....I love the range of purples and pinks that Bullseye carries. The colors are consistent, bright and vibrant. The clear is beautiful.
I love Italian glass for the reactions and opacity....and they are the same COE as the wonderful silver glass I love so much.....
Awww heck, all glass is wonderful--boro, satake, furnace, bullseye, COE 104...

nagi

Old 2009-02-18, 7:18am
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
it depends....I love the range of purples and pinks that Bullseye carries. The colors are consistent, bright and vibrant. The clear is beautiful.
I love Italian glass for the reactions and opacity....and they are the same COE as the wonderful silver glass I love so much.....
Awww heck, all glass is wonderful--boro, satake, furnace, bullseye, COE 104...
Equal opportunity melter! Me too!

Old 2009-02-18, 7:30am

I have both!

But my fav is the 104 COE line (granted I'm not into fusing) because not only do I get to play with Effetre and Vetrofond, but I have the odds too to complement the color palette and the CIM (stiffer) with some opal colors that remind me of bullseye, and Lauscha, ASK, Reichenbach 104, DH and TAG and R4. And if I can even add a little bit of fritt that is mainly 90 COE.

Old 2009-02-18, 8:02am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
You are more then welcome to hide it at my place. I can not be held responsible for the glass getting lost though lol

Old 2009-02-18, 8:27am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
I'll hide some for you too
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
You are more then welcome to hide it at my place. I can not be held responsible for the glass getting lost though lol
Lost? Or commiting suicide by jumping in front of a flame.
Old 2009-02-18, 9:06am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Equal opportunity melter! Me too!
high five!

nagi

Old 2009-02-18, 9:07am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
I'll hide some for you too
but then it will have glitter on it....

nagi

Old 2009-02-19, 8:23am
Butterfly Rancher

If you can afford it, I'd say get a sample pack of Morretti and a sample pack of Bullseye and see which you like better.

I use Morretti when I'm in an organic mood. I think their palette lends itself to the earthy look and feel.

Bullseye is vastly superior for encased florals. The BE palette is perfect with it's bright pinks, purples and reds. Their clear is much clearer and less problematic than anything in 104. And the stiffness helps tremendously.

I guess I think of Moretti as tending more into the Autumn colors and Bullseye as tending more into Spring or Summer colors. Of course, both have colors in all parts of the spectrum but when I'm debating which glass to use, I think along those lines. Also, I think the Bullseye transparents are more varied and prettier. I think Moretti does better with the opaques.

I do suggest starting with small amounts in the beginning to see what you like.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2009-02-19, 10:03am
Salt Box Beads

I actually prefer all of the 104 glass out there. I really do especially CiM!!! and all of the fun oddlots. BUT.....that being said,

I sat down and had a serious talk with Dh and I decided to go with Bullseye as my main glass. The reasoning is

1. It is locally made, right here in the pacific northwest.
2. It is AMERICAN made. I am doing my little part to support my country.
3. It is made with extremely high standards. If a color makes it to their inventory list it is almost always that color with maybe only slight variations between batches.
4. They do have oddlots!
5. They do have lusters and sometimes silver oddlots. So some fun colors also.
6. The rods are all the same size and length for the most part.
7. Excellent customer service by phone.
8. The best part is that I can place a glass rod order, get all of the glass I need anytime I want and get 50% off! That is an incredible deal and it was a huge factor in my switching to Bullseye. Plus it is more stiff and better for me to do my larger beads.
9. I save so much on shipping and with shipping going up and up I like buying from one place for the bulk of my glass.
10. There is also the quirks of buying glass from other countries that BE does not have to contend with and therefore I do not have to contend with it.

There were just so many reasons to go with BE for me. I am very happy with it. But please do not get me wrong, I LUV 104, and 96 and have lots of it in all of my fav colors and I will continue to stock those as long as I can financially...the economy is keeping me on my toes right now so thrifty has become my middle name....

I shop with Paula and Mike and a few others ( always watching for their sales listed here), for supplies and oddlots and favs of 104's etc.

Locally I shop with Sundance and Makin Glass. Those are the only two places I can actually drive to and walk-in to shop.

But I really watch and try to get a lot of what I need from one place..and I have to tell you that Paula and Mike try hard to keep the lampworkers satisfied.

I do not think anyone knows how hard they (the suppliers ) work.
A big round of applause to all of the glass suppliers!!

Lorraine
Old 2009-02-19, 10:16am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
but then it will have glitter on it....
NO NO NO!

I'm saving up ALL of the glitter that comes and SOMEONE will get a special suprise...BWAHAHAHAHA!

Nagi, I've been trying to burn up the glass...see last newbie gallery.
Old 2009-02-20, 9:34am
yukue fumei

must go see....
and I hope that someone is not me....

nagi

Old 2009-02-20, 9:39am
yukue fumei

woohooo! Your bicones rock! Love what you are doing David!!

nagi