Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-14, 11:33am
Wendy

Something like this maybe? http://krissybeads.com/pages/waterco...altutorial.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-06-14, 12:07pm
Will work for glass...

Lydia Muell is exceptional at making glass look like watercolors! She made a tutorial about it. I don't have a link but it is posted here in the tutorial section.
Old 2010-06-16, 8:30pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Is this the type of watercolor you mean? Here is Anne rickets tutorial of a chintz bead. To me, it looks like watercolors
http://www.amrglassworks.net/Chintzpage.html

also this http://www.lavendercreek.de/Tutorial...orflorals.html

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2010-06-16 at 9:35pm.
Old 2010-06-16, 11:47pm
Leda

Hi Kelly! The look is similar to Anne's chintz beads, but I'm envisioning a more defined petal shape with a strong color, but at the same time, a thin and subtle gradient of color in the petals. I had also thought about Anne's beads; they are close! Thanks so much! I have also looked at Lydia M.'s, the Krissy Beads tut and Lavender Creek's tut. They are close, but not exactly what I am trying for. It just seems like I can't achieve the strength or intensity I want on the flower petals. Any more ideas from anyone I would greatly appreciate your help and ideas!

Thanks!

Leda :0)
Old 2010-06-18, 4:31pm
Leda

Default Watercolor Florals

Yes, I have seen that article as well, it is very good. It is still not exactly the look I am going for...still wondering!

Leda
Old 2010-06-18, 5:04pm

You can use frit blends. Take a clear rod, and dip it several times in the frit blend and pull out a thick stringer. Apply to an opaque base. I use Glass Diversions frit blends. I learned this from Fran Carrico when I was teaching in Indiana. Yep, I was teaching and I learned a new trick too, and it works.

Old 2010-06-18, 11:30pm
Leda

Thanks for the idea! I will try it tomorrow, hopefully!

:0)

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:49am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Schoonen View Post
I'm not sure I've got it quite right - but I made a stringer by layering transparent over white and it turned out quite nice. Etching the bead made a huge difference, too.
Angela, do you have a picture of what you are describing? Thanks!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:50am
Leda

Hi Glassacctt, do you have a picture of a bead you made with the technique you are describing? That would be great..thanks!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:51am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Schoonen View Post
I'm not sure I've got it quite right - but I made a stringer by layering transparent over white and it turned out quite nice. Etching the bead made a huge difference, too.
Angela, do you have a picture you can show us? thx!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:53am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat.....I like to use a combo frit over white as the base, then petals that contrast. I have had better results with a couple of colors I got from Monique that are clear and transparent combined...one is a hot salmon color that does well over a white petal.
I have coveted Caliente glass, but all the pinks are always sold out. They, and Gail's Gaffer glass, are wispy from the get-go.
If I come up with any great results, I'll PM ya!
Makitmama,

Do you have any pics of the results you have come up with when using your ideas that you are describing? Thanks!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:54am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanityBeader View Post
Just reading these now, I came up with an idea that I might try tomorrow. I, too, really like that painterly look. An idea I am going to try is taking verto-opal white and coating it with a transparent. Not sure if it will work. I know that the opal white (vetro) can produce a veiny/whispy appearance, However, it is a lot like anice white in that it can be a real shocky pain to work with. Anyway, I wanted to share that since this discussion kind of turned on that particular light bulb. Good Luck and if I manage it, I'll try to post a pic
Susan, did you have any luck when you tried your idea? Can you show us a picture?

Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:57am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Enamels kinda sorta work if you don't let them get so hot they boil...like if you take a white stringer, heat it a tad, and then dip it in blue enamel and then place your dot. I've made some cool lookin' flowers that way; I've made some completely horrific lookin' flowers that way.
Chrissij,
Did you have any pics to show us? Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:58am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1050 View Post
I've made stringer with a light opaque core, such as periwinkle and cased with a darker opaque, such as cobalt. When I make my flowers I make a white dot, melt flat then put a dot of the stringer. Then I take a clear stringer and pull each petal into a point or a razor and crease and pull each petal. The result is mottled-- a painterly effect of the two blues. I've tried it with yellow/red and it works the same.

Not sure if this is what you are after, but give it a try. I like how it turns out.

I always start with a white dot because I think it sort of 'anchors' any colors layered on top, even opaque ones.

Hope this helps.
Hi Maddog,

Can you show us a picture? thanks!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 3:59am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenKennedy View Post
I have found if mix clear transparent with opaque it will give a wispy look to the petals. I believe I read that if you sprinkle like white enamel ontop of your opaque base and then your regular opaque, the enamels will cause the petals to wisp out.
Hi Maureen,

Do you have a pic you could show us? thx!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 4:00am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
How "wispy" do you want?

Something I like is opalino white instead of opaque white, under several layers of transparent color.

Example: clear or colored trans core/thin layer white or pale pink opalino/layer of ink violet/stripes of white opalino/case with amber rose, pink, whatever...and pull into approx 2mm stringers.

Somewhere in the archives over on WC is an old tutorial I wrote that gave a "painted" look, though it may not be what you're after.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn
Hi Bluhealer, Do you have any pics you could show us?

Thx!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 4:02am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Not sure, but is this the look you are looking for?

If so, its layers of opaque and transparent on top of hand mixed frit combination, on a base of white. Oh and then etched - that makes a big difference
Hi Carolyn M.
Do you have a pic you could show us? Thanks!

Leda
Old 2010-07-03, 4:05am
Leda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Hi!

Something I have done that gives a "watercolor effect" is to use a transparent rod, melt a gather, dip into a frit blend that is a mix of transparents and pull into a stringer. Once you get the frit melted onto your ball of trans. don't moosh it together, just pull a stringer from it. Make your petals with an opaque, melt down, then dot with the stringer,melt in, put a dot of trans on top of that. Not sure if that is the effect you are talking about!!

Kristy
Hi Kristy! Do you have any pics you could post for us of the beads that you made with your technique idea?

Thanks so much!

Leda