No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-08, 3:57pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default Beads and PMC in same kiln?

Hi, I'm FINALLY getting a kiln. *YAY*

Now my hubby wants to know if we can fire PMC in the same kiln as my beads. I'm concerned the PMC might leave a residue in the kiln that changes the atmosphere and will ruin it for future runs of my beads.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can give us some advice?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-08, 4:31pm
Carpe Beadum

I've read reports that said that you shouldn't do it, but I batch annealed with my AIM kiln after firing PMC, and I didn't have any problems, except for the cobalt beads that came out with devit. Since no other colors had problems, and clear came out clear and not yellowed, I decided there wasn't really any residue.

One thing I wish I had gotten was a Paragon with a bead door, rather than my AIM. I ended up getting a toolbox kiln too, for the ease of a bead door and the large interior room. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the toolbox kiln straight off, with a few fiberboard shelves to set on the floor of the kiln for the PMC.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2011-12-08, 9:26pm

The silver can leave a residue on the shelf (if you have one) that can stain glass at a later time. I know this from fusing. Keeping a separate shelf just for pmc is a good idea. I do not know how you'd handle it in an all-fiber kiln. Perhaps temporarily line the kiln with fiber and remove it (and save) when finished processing pmc for the day?

Old 2011-12-09, 7:26am

I wouldn't do it concurrently but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing PMC and glass in separate cycles. I would use a dedicated kiln shelf for the pmc though and if you do bronze or another metal that needs to be encased in charcoal you will need a container anyway.

H
Old 2011-12-09, 7:33am

I asked that question at the PMC guild a few years ago, and heard from Barbara Becker Simon that she uses the same kiln for both with no adverse results. That was good enough for me.
Old 2011-12-09, 9:25am
Experimentalist

I use my kiln for both... just vacuum after metal clay use.

Old 2011-12-09, 11:26am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Thank you, everyone, for all the great comments. This really helps calm my worries. I want my husband to find a hobby that he can enjoy and that will get him away from those computer games, so I was hoping we could use the kiln for something he's been expressing so much interest in.

~
~

#M-191