Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-20, 2:55am

Default Boro Icycles

Ok, I finally got the hang of them, but they seem to be VERY brittle. This is AFTER annealing too! I am using your basic clear boro and I believe the diameter is around 8mm. I started off using the much large rods (10-12mm?) but they seemed to leave too much of a "head" at the top of icycle.

Am I doing something incorrectly or is just their nature?

Thanks in advance

Duane
(The method I'm using is folding over about 1" of the rod and continuing from there)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-20, 9:50am
Surrounded by Trouble

Duane,
PM me your e-mail address and I will send you my Icicle Tutorial.
Happy Holidays,
Shawn

Old 2011-12-20, 10:51am

Boro should not be brittle. It is quite a bit stronger than soft glass. How are you annealing them?
Old 2011-12-20, 6:23pm
Glass-aholic

It may just sound brittle... My icicles in soft glass sounds horrendous! But are pretty strong. But my boro pendants, similar to icicles sound very breakable too! Crazy, but they are strong. I've had a stash in a box in the car for a few days rolling around and every one is just fine. they froze and everything. (I annealed at 1040 for 15min then ramped down-they are dichro)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-20, 9:30pm
Borovangelist

Are you twisting them and setting in acute angles?

I don't recall why exactly, but 104 is actually a tougher glass than boro. Boro's just more resilient when it comes to *thermal* changes.

Keep in mind, all those ancient glass pieces in the museums aren't borosilicate

|
|