Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-16, 3:05pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Can we talk orange? I need help!

I had a large custom order for beads in Florida Gators colors.
Everything came out perfect other than the plain orange spacers.
The first orange was WAY to red for her. The second orange was a varied color per bead of orange (the color she wanted) and red (too dark)
I'm using moretti oranges
On her blue/white/orange beads the color was carrot red and she was very happy with that and it looked like a nice orange. BUT, using it alone for the spacers it was RED. Second set was made with moretti Orange 591422
The first set pictured with the blue spacers, second pic is the whole group of other beads (to show orange) and the third pic is the second set of spacers I made here that are stripey looking orange/red.

So, I guess what I'm asking is there something I can do to get a nice even orange? (I'm on a hot head) or shoud I look to perhaps bullseye for their orange?
AND< if bullseye is the only way to go does someone have 2 rods I could buy that they could ship cheaply too? They could be cut in half, thats fine. I just need them quickly.
I hope someone can help me with this........the second set she sent back to see if I can re do, she did keep the first set but I feel bad that maybe she can't use that set either...........
Anyone want to buy 30 orange spacers, really tiny? LOL
Thanks!!!
Sue
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-16, 4:13pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Heres a pic of the beads she just sent back with the bead she had in the color she wants. you can see how my beads have light and dark orange on them. I'm not sure what I'm doing on my hot head to get the two tones......even helping me know what I'm doing would be wonderful!!!
Please can someone help me!!
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-16, 4:16pm
Newfoundland lover!

The carrot red is very reddish. There are a lot of other Effetre corals. Do you have any? You could check some vendors pages and get a look at the different shades to get a view of all the shades and get a more orange orange.

I don't know about the Bullseye.
Hope you get your right color!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-09-16, 4:19pm
Newfoundland lover!

Okay I see you had the opaque orange. Geez maybe it is an unstable color, one that has subtlies. Maybe someone who knows more can help.
Good luck.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-09-16, 4:24pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Meri, I do have a few corals, I'll try to take a look around. Thank you!!
I'm from mass too, living in fla. I only miss it in the fall. LOL

Old 2010-09-16, 4:27pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Darn, I just googled moretti color chart and I have the colors on it and no luck.

Old 2010-09-16, 4:31pm

Bullseye would be more of an orangy orange and so would Reichenbach. Although my Moretti Orange's are not that red either. I can send you a few shorts of the different oranges if you want to try them out.
Just send me your addy and they can go into an envelope tomorrow.
That is...if you still need some. There's also creamsicle from CiM and maybe another or two I can find.
I do love those however. They remind me of Denver Bronco colors and you gave me an idea for my son's finance !!!!

Old 2010-09-16, 4:40pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Irene, that is WAY sweet of you!!! YES, I would LOVE to try them!! She wants to order at times from me so I desperately need to find the right orange! Cim Creamsicle is such an awesome color but not the right one, unfortunately.
Thank you!! I'll pm address to you, thank you!!!
SUe

Old 2010-09-16, 4:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Well, that bead she sent you is not Gator orange - my BF is a Gator fan and she would puke if she saw that . That is almost a Tennessee orange and no gator would be caught dead in that color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-09-16, 4:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That first set of orange spacers looks right on to me - maybe a TAD red, but not by much. I use BE orange for my friend and it is perfect.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-09-16, 6:18pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Yea, I was thinking the same thing but she is trying to match a necklace that she wears and that is the color.
I'm not much of a sports fan other than Red Sox which is completly different anyway LOL

Old 2010-09-16, 6:35pm
I'm meeeeelting

Mango coral is a nice orange.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-09-16, 6:42pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
Mango coral is a nice orange.
Yes, this is one that won't turn red and stays a nice sunny orange.
Old 2010-09-16, 6:52pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh. ok. not sure if I have that one but I'll look. I really need to figure this out for her.
Thanks Felicia and Lisi!!

Old 2010-09-16, 9:15pm
I'm meeeeelting

The orange dot is mango coral. http://tinypic.com/r/2jdl26o/7

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2010-09-16 at 9:56pm.
Old 2010-09-16, 9:46pm

I have sunny mango and another few different mangos so I'll throw those in the envelope for ya. Got your pm!

Old 2010-09-17, 12:06am
FatCat Mama

How about using enamels?

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-09-17, 6:25am
Mr Brutus RIP

Felicia, lovely bead!! Yes, that really looks like the color she wants.
Irene, thank you!!!!
Teri, I have enamels but I don't believe I have orange and I definetly don't have much experience using them, only used them once to pull some stringer.
sue

Old 2010-09-17, 10:44am
Flame On!

I'm obsessed with Tangerine Sparkle right now. It's the best orange I have in opaque. I have moretti, and cim pumpkin, creamsicle, devardi and some other, but Tangerine Sparkle is my favorite. My daughter is a Gator, and I think it's pretty darn close, but it does have that subtle glitter. I will be happy to send you some to give it a shot. It's also easy to work, my other oranges fry easy, but I love to fry everything, so.........

Old 2010-09-17, 10:54am
Flame On!

PS My hubby is an Auburn Alum, whole family actually, and their colors are royal blue and orange, and that the orange I use for it.

Old 2010-09-17, 11:02am

I wish I saw the "Tangerine Sparkle" mentioned. I didn't add that because it's not quite opaque.
You have coming
Bullseye Orange (2 different batches) I have three rods of the lighter orange left! I'll hold those just in case.
Reichenbach Orange--I think this is the one you will end up choosing.
Orange dreamsicle from Vetrofond
Coral Mango and Sunny mango.
I hope one of them works! It's in the mail now

Old 2010-09-18, 12:01pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you glassattic, I do have tangarine sparkle and never even thought of using it because of the color not being close......great for pumpkins tho!! The orange is exactly the same color as the moretti orange......in rod form. I dont' know what I do to it to turn it red but I obviously do something LOL

Thank you Irene, I will let you know when they arrive and I will get straight to work on them!! LOL I wrote my customer to tell her how kind you were to do this and that I would continue to try and find the color for her!!
Thank you ladies!!
Sue

Old 2010-09-22, 9:49am
Will work for glass...

I just noticed this thread...I live in Gainesville and about half my sales are to gator fans! Here's a pic of one of my beads. I have found that CiM creamsicle is the best match to the Gator orange. I use it exclusively. Recently they put out a batch that was a little more translucent with some opaque stripes in the rods, but the orginal CiM Creamsicle was really the best I have found for Gator colored beads. Good luck in your endeavors!

Old 2010-09-23, 3:23am

Hello! I'm learning about all sorts of new "orange" colors here!
I've had really good luck with Effetre "CORAL" (not coral persimmon or a variation of the name coral, but plain "coral"). Most glass suppliers sell it under the Effetre Special category. I've only been able to find plain coral through Arrowsprings.
Good luck, and hope this helps
Old 2010-09-23, 3:38am
Gonna get blow'd up!

CiM Phoenix is an orange that turns swirly orange to light orange. I plan on playing with it later today and will photo
If you're still looking

Old 2010-09-23, 3:57pm

Hi Sue,

if I want to have an orange which is not so "screaming" I use a medium Moretti-orange and then I put light or medium topas on top of it (oh Sue, I don't know how you say to it in english, if you put clear or another transparent color on top of an opak color, but I think you know what I mean)

For example I made it in this bracelet:

Name:  0910IMG_7059.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  40.2 KB

Many greetings from Germany, Iris

http://www.formartis.blogspot.com
Old 2010-09-23, 4:07pm

Oh, I just see, that it's a thread from 2006 !!!!! What was the solution Sue?
Old 2010-09-24, 4:50pm

my favorite orange is a czech glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!i love it

Old 2010-09-24, 6:16pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ok, I recieved the glass from Irene!!! I tried each one, writing down the number of spacers I put per rod so I would get the colors right. And in order to make sure I didn't have the light/dark problem on the beads I made more than 2 of each color.
The one that was the absolute match was the BE Orange in the lighter color......YES, the one Irene said she had 3 rods of!! LOL So glad she is saving them for me LOL

Iris, this is from recent, you are correct. The problem Alison and Iris is that I'm making spacers in a single color. SO, no topaz over and the creamsicle doesnt' come out right alone.
I used moretti carrot red for her blue white orange beads and it was perfect but putting it alone or even any of the oranges and creamsicle, it doesn't match the one spacer bead she had. She sent it to me and it matched the BE orange tho!!!
SO, thank you everyone for your help! I did find some wonderful new oranges to work with......for some reason working with glass orange is my favorite!! Awe heck, my living room is a dark orange........LOL
Thank you SO much!!! Thank you Irene for sending all these colors to try and holding the one that it ended up being LOL
Sue