Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-12-13, 5:29pm
Carpe Beadum

Default Persistant email bouncing as Undeliverable with Pappashop

I've had Pappashop for a few years now, and for the most part, things have been running smoothly. But now I'm beyond frustrated, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

For the past year or so, there will be occasional emails that get bounced back as Undeliverable due to Pappashop's server being blacklisted for spam. These aren't mailing list emails or anything. These are regular, unremarkable emails sent to a few people who requested that I contact them. And I know of more than one occasion that the emails weren't bounced as Undeliverable, but were shunted to people's spam folders.

I was told by Pappashop that there was someone else hosted on the server that was the original cause of the problem. While Pappashop never elaborated, I assume someone was sending out lots of mass emails from mailing lists or something. But regardless, my emails bouncing wasn't due to my website or my emails, but because the whole server was blacklisted by various sites.

At one time or another, I've had my emails returned as Undeliverable from MSN, Yahoo, and Roadrunner email addresses. Now I'm getting other emails returned like ones I'm sending to my bank's represetitive or other business contacts who's addresses are sent to their individual websites. Since all of the Undeliverable messages are sent from different companies, this is an ongoing problem.

Now, I have to say that once I inform Pappashop of the problem, they do respond quickly and email the site that maintains the spam blacklists and request to be removed, and usually within 12-48 hours, I can send to those emails again.

However, when the emails are time sensitive (which is sometimes the case), it's very distressing and more than a little embarrassing to have to explain why I couldn't email like I promised.

I've been on Pappashop's case from the beginning that they should be more proactive about this kind of thing, since they know it's a reoccurring problem. The answer I keep getting is that they can't know until one of their customers notifies them there's a problem. I say that can't be the ONLY way. Most of the sites that blacklist will let you sign up so you can be notified if you're blacklisted again, and the most recent site for Anti-Spam has a search function so you can put in the offending IP and check many blacklist sites at once.

Is it so much to ask that they be more proactive? I really don't want to move my website, but I can't keep wondering if my next email is going to be returned as Undeliverable. Am I being unreasonable?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2010-12-14, 2:04pm

You are not being unreasonable at all. You could ask them to move your site to a server that they KNOW has NOT had this trouble, but I doubt they will as I had a similar problem and was told NO! you can not move and I had to relocate my whole site to a new hosting company. But it completely fixed the problem and I have never had it again.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-15, 5:35am
ManBearPig

It may be time to look for a new hosting company. There are many hosting plans out there that offer a lot more for a lot less money.

Old 2010-12-15, 7:44am
beads....mmmm

You could also get yourself a gmail account so you have a backup. I'm with Cosmo on this though - you shouldn't have to deal with this at all.
Old 2010-12-17, 10:05pm
Carpe Beadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Cobb View Post
You are not being unreasonable at all. You could ask them to move your site to a server that they KNOW has NOT had this trouble, but I doubt they will as I had a similar problem and was told NO! you can not move and I had to relocate my whole site to a new hosting company. But it completely fixed the problem and I have never had it again.
thanks, Chuck. that was pretty much my experience too. However, I'm betting that it's not really the server that's the problem, but the fact that the whole IP has been compromised, and they can't do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
It may be time to look for a new hosting company. There are many hosting plans out there that offer a lot more for a lot less money.
Yep, I came to that conclusion myself. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
You could also get yourself a gmail account so you have a backup. I'm with Cosmo on this though - you shouldn't have to deal with this at all.
I have an old hotmail account, but I hate using it. I don't really want emails to be stored in both, because then I never know where anything is.

But thank you for replying, Chuck, Cosmo, and Deborah. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I ended up signing up for new hosting. I found a site called Westhost, and got a premium Business account which has unlimited everything, a free SSL certificate, free shopping carts, my own dedicated ISP, mailing list software (which was denied at Pappashop and a email cap per hour was instituted), and they even pay my domain renewals for as long as I'm a member. Plus, they use cPanel and they transferred my entire website, all of my pages and images, and even my email history for FREE! Everything was transferred in less than twelve hours from when I put in the request.

Plus, their live chat help is on 24/7. Seriously, I chatted with them at 2am!

There's a deal on until the end of Dec, that if you buy two years hosting, you get a third year free. I paid $234 for three years, which averages out to $6.50 a month, and I'm saving even more because I won't have to pay my domain renewal when it expires next year (or the year after, or the year after that!).

So, it was a huge unexpected bill for me, but now I don't have to worry about paying for my website for three full years. Whew! (Merry Christmas to me! LOL)

Old 2010-12-17, 11:36pm
beads....mmmm

Ah, perfect! I'm glad you got it all worked out. It's nice to have one less thing to be concerned about.
Old 2010-12-18, 9:55pm
Carpe Beadum

Thanks! I agree.

Old 2010-12-23, 10:57am
novembersfyre everywhere

I have 4000+ emails coming in that claim they are undeliverable because my email address has sent out too many emails!

It looks like PS's email server has been hacked as none of these emails that bounced came from my sent mail.

I opened a ticket. Is anyone else experiencing this problem.