Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-12-23, 12:21pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Default My email address through Pappashop was used to spam thousands!

My email address from Pappashop was evidently used to send thousands of spam emails. This appears to be an email server problem as I don't have any record of any of these emails coming through my outlook express.

Is anyone else experiencing this? The reason that I know is because I have had 4000+ email undeliverable emails bounced back to my email address. They are all to aol email addresses and appear to be those fake emails telling you that your bank account has been suspended.

Has anyone else been affected. I did open a ticket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-23, 12:28pm
I'm a lilac!

It may not have anything to do with your server at all... usually they are just spoofing the return address of spam sent from their own server. I've had it happen too; it sucks but there is nothing that anyone can really do if that's the case.

Old 2010-12-23, 2:22pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
It may not have anything to do with your server at all... usually they are just spoofing the return address of spam sent from their own server. I've had it happen too; it sucks but there is nothing that anyone can really do if that's the case.
It wasn't spoofed. I looked at the headers. I was it had been.

Old 2010-12-23, 4:40pm

What about a virus? I'd update my virus protection and run a complete scan.
Steve

Old 2010-12-23, 5:05pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
What about a virus? I'd update my virus protection and run a complete scan.
Steve
Way ahead of you! However, my computer was even turned on at the time all of the spam purportedly went out.

Old 2010-12-23, 11:13pm
Carpe Beadum

This happened to me when I was on Pappashop too. I had a couple horrible days of a thousand return emails, then it went away. I'm not sure if Pappashop was able to block the glut of nondeliverable messages, or if it just went away because the spammers changed spoofed email addys.

I always assumed it was spoofing, because I don't know enough about the headers to tell if it's different. However, if you're right that the PS server was hacked, that might well be the cause of my further email problems with the server IP being blocked by spamlists, which was that thread you replied to that I posted about a week ago.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=182002

Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

I'm so glad I switched. I went with Westhost; they transferred everything en masse, for free. And the current sale is a great price. I made a thread last week about that too *Chuckles*

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=182417

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung

Last edited by DreamMuse; 2010-12-23 at 11:25pm.
Old 2010-12-24, 6:29pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks Disa!

I did some more research this morning and I found out that my email does not have an SPF authentication attached to it. That's where the email is checked to see if it originates from your approved email server.

I've generated the code now I need to get it installed as part of the DNS for my domain.

In the meanwhile I went into cPanel and deleted the offending email address. It seems like just before the SPAM starts they send out a test email using that email address. I have copies of those as well as copies of the headers that were bounced back with the AOL undeliverable messages.

It seems to me this type of security should have been addressed by my hosting service.

Old 2010-12-26, 10:36am

I have Pappashop as well and no problems here. Sorry that you did. What a pain!

Old 2010-12-26, 12:21pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
I have Pappashop as well and no problems here. Sorry that you did. What a pain!
Thanks, Leslie! I'm working on getting SPF information put in the DNS record.
In the meanwhile I have totally deleted that email address. Hopefully, I'll be able to restore it in a few days.

I sent some emails from my other addresses from the same domain to my AOL email addresses. They went through so I guess the volume of spam wasn't enough to get my domain banned.

All of the headers were authentic. The emails were coming through PS's server.

Old 2010-12-27, 2:11pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I checked in Cpanel and there is a way to add an SPF record there through the email authentication option. It would have been nice for them to have told me this when I opened the ticket with the spam problem. I understand that PS is mainly a self managed web hosting type of situation but I don't think the end user should be automatically expected to know all of the security ramifications of email. At any rate I've enabled this now.

Old 2010-12-28, 10:07pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

I have been having this happen to me too here lately. My AOL account has been use in this way, on several occassions and I have even had my computer "fixed" cleaned and freshly installed antivirus protection for both internet and regular workings......???????????

Old 2010-12-29, 12:45am

They used one of my email addresses too. There is nothing you can do about it. Just sit and wait until the returned mails stop.

I didn't change my email address and everything went back to normal after a week. There is no provider that can prevent these things from happening.

|
Old 2010-12-29, 11:43am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlite View Post
I have been having this happen to me too here lately. My AOL account has been use in this way, on several occassions and I have even had my computer "fixed" cleaned and freshly installed antivirus protection for both internet and regular workings......???????????
I've found that when I've had this happen through my AOL addresses that the headers are usually spoofed. I just report it to AOL as spam and *poof* it stops. I think that they probably block domains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
They used one of my email addresses too. There is nothing you can do about it. Just sit and wait until the returned mails stop.

I didn't change my email address and everything went back to normal after a week. There is no provider that can prevent these things from happening.

Mine seems to have stopped for now. The SPF record is supposed to help.