Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-05-04, 6:16pm

Default compress a pic

dose anyone know how to compress a pic mine come out better if i use the flash but then it makes the pic too big to load on to LE

My Etsy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-04, 6:26pm

Download GIMP. Open the image.

After cropping and stuff, which reduces the size, do this.

You want Image->Scale Image. Then scale it to 640x640 I think.

Hit Ctrl+Shift+S and check the 'display preview' button. Slide the bar until its under 80kb.

This is from memory, so I'm not completely sure if this is exactly correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-04, 9:35pm
Alaska Boro

If using PhotoShop save at 72 ppi and Save for Web Devices.

If you do not have PhotoShop, then use a free program call IrfanView. One can specify the maximum image size say 300 x 300 px and even batch compress images at the rate of three per second depending on original image size and format.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:12pm
ManBearPig

The flash won't have anything to do with image size. It's the image size that your camera is taking them at that's the problem.

Old 2011-05-05, 3:13pm

I don't know i have it on the lowest setting when i take it without the flash it's like 63 kb but when i use the flash it's like 87 to 130 kb

My Etsy
Old 2011-05-05, 5:48pm
Alaska Boro

An image with more detail, will have a larger file size. i.e. the flash could open up the shadows, etc and result in more pixels that are used and thus must be processed for a JPEG format. If it is JEPG that is a compressed format. Using RAW or TIFF is not compressed and will result in a larger file, but there is more data to work with if editing.

Overall, photographers do not take into account flash as that is one of a number of light sources.

What is the size of your image in pixels? What is the image format? What is the size of the image in Kb or Mb? And what is your aim point for a completed file size?
Old 2011-05-18, 8:19pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Get Irfanview... And also download its plugins and install (this will allow you to load RAW (and many other) format pictures)...

Load picture into Irfanview and select "resize & resample" and select new size you want and save resized picture (JPEG?)...

http://www.irfanview.com

And best yet, its free... And simpler than GIMP and some other picture editing software...

Also little hint along the way: NEVER save an edited picture over the original, always save any edits with new name. IF you save a edited picture over original, you have forever changed the "master" picture and this is not always good.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-05-18 at 8:24pm.
Old 2011-05-19, 12:02am
He can do the origami

Dale, that is funny... I have a friend that got me to use Irfanveiw and I hated it, I found Gimp to be simpler. Well the suggestions of Gimp and Irfanview are already here and those were the ones I was going to suggest.

I have photo shop but I never use it anymore, Gimp is all I seem to need.
Old 2011-05-20, 12:52pm
Pyromaniac

I don't know why this isn't included in Windows Vista and 7, but it's super useful... Check out the Microsoft Powertoy image resizer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-xp?T1=PT

It integrates into your context menus, so all you need to do is right-click a picture, click resize, and you're done. You can also resize multiple selections or entire folders. Of course, it doesn't do all the fancy image editing, but for a quick fix, this little utility is freakin' awesome! I use it all the time for my day job - for emailing job pictures etc and it's excellent.

Pardon my preaching

Edit: That powertoy is for Windows XP although there are similar programs for Vista and Windows 7 they are typically third-party software.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-05-21 at 6:58am.
Old 2011-05-21, 7:10am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I don't know why this isn't included in Windows Vista and 7, but it's super useful... Check out the Microsoft Powertoy image resizer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-xp?T1=PT

It integrates into your context menus, so all you need to do is right-click a picture, click resize, and you're done. You can also resize multiple selections or entire folders. Of course, it doesn't do all the fancy image editing, but for a quick fix, this little utility is freakin' awesome! I use it all the time for my day job - for emailing job pictures etc and it's excellent.

Pardon my preaching

Edit: That powertoy is for Windows XP although there are similar programs for Vista and Windows 7 they are typically third-party software.
Here is the one I found for vista n windows 7
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247
going to try it

Old 2011-05-21, 7:12am
Pyromaniac

Here is a link to the freeware I am using on my Vista machine: http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-s...image-resizer/

Unfortunately it looks like the product was sold/spun off from VSO, the developer who made it originally so I can't vouch for the quality of the current versions, but the version I am using is actually nicer than the XP powertoy version... and free

Edit: the version ChrisAnn found seems very nice as well - if anyone does a comparison let me know I may have to change!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-05-21 at 7:14am.
Old 2011-05-21, 9:58am

I have Jasc Photo shop 2..and Picassa.I like the Jasc better..love all the artistic elements...just wanted to say..good point,Dale..always rename your fixed picture.
I too have had trouble getting the small allowable size for posting on here..but I think the answer was posted early in the thread..tx Mr Meker..I think i can adapt the resizing with your suggestions
"

Old 2011-05-26, 12:12am

Audra what software are you using to edit your photos?
most software will let you save a copy of your original photo and allow you to lower the image quality at that step.
when I post a pic here I first crop the photo down to just larger than the object.
then I save the image at a medium or low quality image, this re sizes your pic to fit here.

#C-151
Old 2011-05-26, 4:22am

I mispoke..I have Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.Jasc was the old program I guess..sorry.It has all the artistic things like time machine in which it takes you to a time like the 60's and shows how your photo would look those days..also way earlier when pictures were just starting to be taken.Its so much fun.I'm still working on the compressing and gradually am "getting" it.There are a lot of real smart and helpful people on here.
"

Old 2011-05-26, 6:36pm

I am using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X3. When sizing pictures for LE I do the following:

After I'm done editing, cropping, etc. I go to Image resize: Image > Resize (Shift S)

I have the picture length/height ratio locked in (check box in Advanced section of resize)

I set my Resolution to 72 pixels per inch

I set the largest side of my photo to 640 pixels

Rename and save. The file will almost always meet the limits of LE.

Old 2011-05-27, 2:55am

Ann and Fred..perfect info for me! I didn't know they had a version 3 but the 2 sounds like it will compress the same.I so appreciate your help..thank you!
"