Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-11-29, 4:32pm

Default Fuji s5100

Can any one give me tips for dummies on how to get this camera to take good close ups?? I keep messing with it and I am feeling really stupid because I don't think it should be that hard..
I am thinking of a macro lens, but I think that I should be able to take some decent picures with it without a macro lens no???

Thanks,

Arlene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blogger
Old 2006-11-29, 4:41pm
In search of her path....

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...500_Manual.pdf

Found a link to the manual you should have a way to choose macro setting on it I think...most of the fuji cameras have that choice its usually a lil button you push at least on mine thats very similar to yours it is you push it once for regular macro and twice for Super macro...Im not sure if your camera has super macro but I saw references in the manual to macro.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-29, 7:10pm
Missing presumed fed

What's going wrong? Can you post some pics? Are you using a tripod and the self-timer so you eliminate shutter shake?

You're probably going to want your wide angle to be set at its widest. According to the manual, that lets you get as close as 3.9 inches in macro. If you're not getting that close, maybe you want to slide your wide angle a little bit toward the middle. Don't try to put your camera closer to your subject than 3.9 inches. You can always crop your photo if that gives you too much background. If you absolutely, positively have to get closer, that's when you'll need the macro lens, but you probably don't need the macro lens.

You should be able to use macro no matter what mode you're in. From what I've been reading on this forum, people suggest Aperture Priority (A on the dial on top of the camera), and set the smallest aperture you can get away with. (Apertures are fractions, so the larger the number, the smaller the aperture. f22 is really small, f16 is the next bigger one, and so forth.) You're definitely going to have to use a tripod, because you're going to end up with a really slow shutter speed. The camera will set the shutter speed based on the aperture that you've chosen.

I've got a Fuji (not this one, though), so I should remember how to get into macro mode, but I don't. From looking at the manual, it looks like you just press the 9:00 position (<) on the dial on the back. That should give you the tulip. Tulip=macro.

If you're trying to take a picture of something really shiny, the autofocus might be screwing you up. Autofocus doesn't like shiny. Try reading the directions for Autofocus Lock and trying to get the camera to focus on something non-shiny at the same distance as your shiny subject, then moving the camera back to your subject. (This is one function that your camera seems to do differently from mine, and I'm not entirely understanding your manual.) Alternatively, you can try going with manual focus.

Make sure your camera is set to focus on the center. It looks like that's the default for your camera, so it probably is.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert, but I've been fooling around with my Fuji, and yours is kind of similar to mine.