Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-06-03, 4:44pm
Corgi Cult Member

Default Mac Photo Editing

I'm a new Mac user and was wondering what program everyone uses to edit photos? IPhoto doesn't seem to have a great deal of adjustment capability (unless I've missed something) compared to Piccasa. I couldn't seem to adjust the background to neutral with Iphoto. That is one of the steps I often use to adjust the color in my bead photos. Any suggestions on what I should use? Please keep in mind I'm not terribly computer literate. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-04, 6:41am

Hi Kathy!

I'm a recent mac convert as well. I got my imac in Feb. and I've been using phototshop elements 4 for my pics. It works pretty much the same way as elements for the pc. I haven't used it for bead pics yet, but adjusting the color isn't too bad. (I've been having too much fun smoothing wrinkles and whitening smiles!! It's a bit tedius, but the results can be pretty nice.!)

Mary
Old 2007-06-04, 7:19am

Thumbs up

Have you tried Graphic Converter? It's very good. http://www.lemkesoft.com/ It's what we've had for our Macs for forever (we've had Macs since the early eighties).

Or just Photoshop Elements.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-06-04, 11:39am
Corgi Cult Member

Great, I'll check both of those out! Smooth wrinkles? Yippee! I'm a master at cropping, it's like instant lyposuction to my butt!! Thanks for the suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-07, 8:36pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Seashore. It's free and works pretty well. Takes a little bit to adjust to because it's laid out differently than Photoshop (what I am used to). I also have Photoshop, but Seashore worked well until I was able to get it.

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/index.php

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2007-06-07, 9:39pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks MistyCherie. I went ahead and ordered Photoshop, but, I'm going to check out the other for my DD.

Old 2007-07-16, 3:03pm
Rare Florida Native

I am sure I am having an moment. Hope you don't mind me posting in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I am also learning how to use my new iMac which I purchased a couple of months ago.

I purchased Photoshop Elements 4.0 and having a problem in resizing my images............

Anyone know how to resize a image - reduce size so it can be posted on LE.
I am missing a step somewhere.

Any pointers would be a big help.
Thanks

Old 2007-07-16, 3:27pm
make beads not war

From the menu bar, go to Image/Image Size. In the pop up window, check the boxes Constrain Proportions and Resample Image.

Next, under Pixel Dimensions, enter your pixels height and width (I think the max width on LE is 600). Under Document Size, make sure the Resolution is 72 dpi.

Click Ok. Hope this helps.
Old 2007-07-16, 3:40pm
da General

Charlotte,

Instead of just saving your image - under the File menu, choose Save for Web & Device. Save it as a jpg but change the quality to lower than 100% if you want to size it smaller for LE (eBay can take it at 100%).

Couple of tricks - set your cropping tool (I think Elements is the same as full Photoshop on this one) to crop at a set pixel.

Select the cropping tool, and put in the number manually for the Width and Height (examples: 400px x 300px for LE and 750px x 600 px for eBay). Since most cameras shoot at 72 dpi, you don't have to change anything, it will remain at 72 dpi.

Then Save for Web & Device. This creates a new file so make sure you close the image and NOT save as not to alter your original.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-07-16, 6:55pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks so much Melissa and Hayley.
I will try it out the tips and hopefully can get the pic's of the studio and new exhaust system posted as well as some beads!
You are right Hayley - the iMac is awesome - I just have to learn new tricks

Old 2007-07-16, 10:11pm

I use GIMP. I'm very pleased with it and it's free. I can't believe no one's mentioned it!

http://www.download.com/The-GIMP/300...ml?tag=lst-0-1
Old 2007-07-21, 9:41pm
Rare Florida Native

The instructions worked just great......many thanks!
Pictures posted in the "Studio" and "Safety" threads.

Old 2007-07-22, 5:19pm
Hummel factory reject

Charlotte, you can also just export the photo's from i-photo. Select the image in i-photo pull down the file menu and select export. In the window select scale images no larger: add the width and the height will auto fill. I use 400. Press export. Keep a folder on your desktop for these photo's and for easy access when you upload to L.E....

Old 2007-08-01, 10:01am
Glass-aholic

seashore!!!!!
________
Volcano Vaporizer

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:53pm.
Old 2007-08-01, 2:55pm
Rare Florida Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Charlotte, you can also just export the photo's from i-photo. Select the image in i-photo pull down the file menu and select export. In the window select scale images no larger: add the width and the height will auto fill. I use 400. Press export. Keep a folder on your desktop for these photo's and for easy access when you upload to L.E....
Thanks I will try that. I love Photoshop Elements 4.0!

Old 2007-08-03, 4:17pm
www.tortugacraft.se

I´m gonna have a look at seashore, thanks!

/Lina