Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-07-10, 9:43pm
Corgi Cult Member

Default Photoshop CS3

What would be a good manual to learn this program? I was looking at Photoshop for Photographers http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0240520..._rd_m=ATVPDKIK,
but was wondering if anyone had a better recommendation?

I think I would prefer a book instead of a DVD, call me old fashioned. But, if there are excellent DVDs out there, I might be swayed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-10, 10:12pm
da General

Kathy,

What do you want to do using Photoshop? it's a program that offers extensive possibilities - I have been using it for years and never even scratched the surface.

Do you just want to manipulate exposure and learn how to use level effectively as well as some light color adjustment? Do you want to retouch, learn how to use layer masks and paths?

I may be able to point you to the right path if you let me know what you want out of the program.

You can always pm me too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-07-11, 6:19am
Dead man walking

All kinds of free tuts and training on this web site Kathy:

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/

and send me a PM if you need something from Adobe Press.
Old 2007-07-11, 8:03am

Any comments on Photoshop Elements? It is my understanding you can work with manipulating exposure, light and color adjustment, retouch, and use layer masks and paths. I know Photoshop is considered the "Big Gun", but is Elements worthy of a look?
Peggi
Old 2007-07-11, 1:21pm
Corgi Cult Member

Hi Hayley, I would never have spent the big bucks for CS3, (because I'm not very knowledgable about editing), but a very kind person, with an employee discount, set me up for an amazing price!!!! Many of the features will be over my head, but I would like to learn to edit in layers so I can make objects pop off the background and look more dimensional. As I learn more, it would be great to alter some family photos. I've seen people actually "add in" a family member to a portrait that couldn't be there when the picture was taken. It would also be nice to remove objects and do special effects. I know professional photographers have several different ways to turn a photo B&W besides hitting one button, and that could have some fun possibilities.

I really don't know if my "wish list" is concidered complicated or easy. This is almost like the day I received my beginning lampwork kit. I opened the box and stared at the torch, tools and pretty glass. The whole experience was a mixture of exciting possiblities and fear of the unknown process! I thought about taking a community college course, but currently they only offer one on Elements 4 and I didn't know if the information would translate well. They haven't put their fall courses online yet, so that may still be a possibility.

Hey Jason! Thanks, I'll go check out those free tuts! I'm really anxious to learn about the program.

Old 2007-07-11, 2:58pm
da General

Kathy,

The best "tips and tricks" I found is this group called Software Cinema -

http://www.software-cinema.com/

they have seminars all over the country for minimal fee. The seminars are geared towards photographers, which is perfect for us. The seminars are inexpensive because, I think, their major objectives are sell CDs and DVDs.

I own a few of those as well and they are GREAT. Much better than learning from books or from Adobe's Classroom in a Book Series (you have to read the book and do the tutorial). Software Cinema's CDs/DVDs are presentations.

Once you put a few hours playing around with the program, why don't you give me a call and perhaps I can walk you through some stuff - levels, drop shadows for your dimensional effect, layer masks, etc.? Two tools you almost never use in Photoshop (and beginners always use them) are the Eraser tool and the Cloning tool!

Yes, I am one of those that put myself in family photos coz I am usually the one taking the pictures! LOL!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-07-11, 3:50pm
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggi View Post
Any comments on Photoshop Elements? It is my understanding you can work with manipulating exposure, light and color adjustment, retouch, and use layer masks and paths. I know Photoshop is considered the "Big Gun", but is Elements worthy of a look?
Peggi
Yeah it is Peggi, it is essentially Photoshop Light if you want to think of it that way. In general, for what folks are doing here with photos on EBay and Etsy, elements will work well for you. Here is a link for the free 30 day trial:

Photoshop Elements

And another link on features and benefits:

Features

Hope that helps!

Hi Kathy Hope you have fun with it. I won't make OT but my better half will be there with Lana in tow . You can ask Heather questions at OT, she is a Graphic Artist and will have some ideas for you, or ping Wendy as well if she is at OT, she is a professional photographer and uses CS all the time.

Last edited by jjglass; 2007-07-11 at 3:57pm.
Old 2007-07-11, 7:12pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks everyone! Will check out everything mentioned. I had a chance to play around on it a little this afternoon. I need to do a lot of that so I know "what" to ask. I really appreciate everyone's offers of assistance!!

Jason, we'll miss you at OT, but look forward to meeting Heather!

Old 2007-07-11, 8:44pm

I haven't tried the DVDs as I just came across the web site the other day, but they do look interesting. The site is www.rickspixelmagic.com

Mary