No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-24, 12:25pm
Detail G-Mama!

Default Fishing lures??

Hey y'all! I have gotten a request to make tuna lures on metal wires. I was wondering how big the metal can be before it's just too big and cracks? Can I use soft glass, will it hold up or should I use boro? He wants them really sparkly and colorful and about 5 inches long. Any advice or help would be great! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-02-24, 12:45pm

Hi Anne. I make garden stakes directly on 1/16 mandrel. Some of them are up to 3-4" tall. I made the first ones about 10 years ago, and so far, none have broken/cracked. I used 104.
Old 2016-02-24, 1:12pm

Stainless steel and boro don't get along well. I tried pretty small 24g and had some cracking. Kanthal wire worked OK, but again, it was 24g and 22g.

Can you put holes in the ends so they don't need to be directly attached to wire? You could use any glass then. Been awhile since I've seen a tuna lure though.

Old 2016-02-24, 1:24pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks y'all! He wants it on the wire so that there are loops on each end to put swivels on and a hook on one end. The wire has to be stong enough to hold up to a 200 lb tuna. I'm not sure a 1/16 being heated up would be stong, wouldn't that weaken it?

Old 2016-02-24, 2:20pm

There is a picture with handwritten instructions here:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...hlight=fishing

I didn't see any guidance on wire size, but I didn't look carefully.

It looks like the best results would be making the lures separately from the fishing leader wire; that is, so that the finished lures can be threaded onto the wires rather than be built on the wires.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-02-24 at 2:25pm.
Old 2016-02-24, 3:49pm

Yeah, 1/16th isn't going to do it for a 200# tuna. I had no idea how much a tuna weighs. The size wire that would be required would probably cause stress fractures in the glass. I agree with making the glass separate and then epoxy to the lure.
Old 2016-02-25, 7:29am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks y'all! Now he wants to be able to add an led pen light into it! Argh!!! They make 104 tubing don't they?

Old 2016-02-25, 9:49am

Lauscha tubing. The source I know of is C & R Loo, but I don't think it is on their website. If you can't find another dealer, you might want to give them a call. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they still had some on the warehouse floor.

You can't see any in the picture, but it used to be standing in bins to the left of these rods.
http://www.crloo.com/About.asp

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-02-25 at 9:56am.