Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-04-22, 9:26pm
My gang!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Of Course!!! I think you'd have standing room only at your demo!
Wow, sounds good but nerve racking!! LOL!! But I've been making them for 8 years, so should be able to do it with no problem.
Old 2009-04-23, 9:33am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I just checked the site again, and it looks like there WILL be a
woman auction:
Quote:
WOMAN AUCTION: PROCEEDS TO LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER OR WOMEN'S CRISIS HOUSE, YOUR CHOICE!

OPEN TORCH 7-10PM
Sweeeeettt....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:55am

I'm pretty new to glass. I took my first class last May (boro), but didn't get to do anything over the winter because it was too cold in my "studio." The only thing that may deter me from GlassStock '09 is the demo. I'm willing to somehow get that weekend off from work, fly from NY to Portland, then rent a car and drive to the show and shell out money for all this, but the demo is really freaking me out. I'm a very outgoing person and will feel comfortable in class. I honestly feel like I have nothing to do even with all of the positive feedback. Another part of me is like...ok come on...you have 5 months...you can come up with something! We'll see what happens.....
Anyone coming from NY? or anywhere on the East Coast?
Old 2009-04-24, 3:54am
My gang!!

I'm sure you will do fine. I'm just about to set up my torch after years of inactivity. But I have confidence I will get back very quickly what I had already learned. I do however have show-itis. I shake all the time, but esp in front of someone, even a teacher. So I'm going to do a glass related demo, unless between now and then I become a big show off or something. LOL!! I hope this made sense.

Lea, or LAJ, is coming from NY. You might want to get with her about travel buddies or something. Most people seem to be staying in a house, but I think there are a few of us in hotels. Jo and I are in the new Holiday Inn Express right across the street. There's also the La Quinta about a block away. I think they are starting a list for a second house, so look for that too.

What's your real name?

I look forward to meeting you.

Chelle
(Mitchelle pronounced Michelle)
Old 2009-04-24, 7:52am
Master Procrastinator

Soxia, I'm on LI. Which airport are you planning to fly out of? I'm in the midst of looking for flights myself, hoping for 1 of the 3 major NY airports (La Guardia, JFK or Newark).

AFA the demos go, I'm trying not to think about it at this point. From all I've read, it doesn't have to be strictly a glass demo, but can also be a glass RELATED demo. Do you make jewelry? Maybe do a demo on stringing or wire work? Or possibly beadwork? Hmmmm, maybe I'd better stop throwing out all these ideas. I may need to rely on them myself. LOL!!! I had applied last year too but didn't get in. While I was waiting to hear, I read all the posts in anticipation & it sounds like this is much more of an icebreaker than anything else & to not put too much emphasis on it, so that's what I'm doing, or trying to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-24, 4:09pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

At the risk of sounding crass and kind of rude, you REALLY have to
realize that this is SUCH a small and insignificant part of the WHOLE
experience. After you do it, you'll seriously be kicking yourself in the
ass for being SO worried about nothing.

The demos are really just for fun. No one really expects to learn a
lot from them (I mean, we'd all LIKE to learn from them, but mostly
all of us are SOOOOOO hung over and exhausted from the whole days
activities (two classes each day!) that we'll be really glad if we don't spill our
beer while watching you make a bead).

I could regale you with the tales of all the people who messed up their
demos if it helps. I've seen bubbles appear where there were supposed
to be none. Many mandrels were burnt through by accident. Hands
were burnt. Beer WAS spilled (that was the saddest one of all ),
Flowers came out looking like aliens, and some aliens looked like flowers.
And there will ALWAYS be the one or two people who make this look
flawlessly easy, and everyone applauds when they are done (not me,
I work hard for the money, baby, the only thing I can do flawlessly is
burn myself).

We've had newbies demo how they encase with clear even. People
show how they make a twistie. You can show other skills that compliment
lampworking like wire work, macrame with beads, etc.

Look, it just is what it is - a quickie demo. It's most definitely is the
part of this shindig that INSPIRES the most terror, and is most definitely
the one that should NOT. I was terrified the first year, and the second
and now the third, I'm like "whatever - I'll just do something I like".
It's mingling hour, and like being at a really big party with lampworking
people. I promise you, you'll have a lot of fun. Just pick something you
find really easy to do (or really like doing) and show us. You'll maybe have
tops, four or five people at your table (remember, there are lots of other
demos going on at the SAME TIME) and we're all really nice!

repeat after me....

DON'T SWEAT THE DEMO.

To not go to this event because you're afraid of doing a 20 minute
demo in front of your friends.....you will forever regret not participating.
It's worth so much more than those very few moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxia View Post
I'm pretty new to glass. I took my first class last May (boro), but didn't get to do anything over the winter because it was too cold in my "studio." The only thing that may deter me from GlassStock '09 is the demo. I'm willing to somehow get that weekend off from work, fly from NY to Portland, then rent a car and drive to the show and shell out money for all this, but the demo is really freaking me out. I'm a very outgoing person and will feel comfortable in class. I honestly feel like I have nothing to do even with all of the positive feedback. Another part of me is like...ok come on...you have 5 months...you can come up with something! We'll see what happens.....
Anyone coming from NY? or anywhere on the East Coast?

Old 2009-04-24, 7:17pm

I know I'm probably worrying about nothing. =) My real name is Sarah. I'll be most likely flying out of Albany then connecting to Chicago or Atlanta the flying in to Portland.
Old 2009-04-24, 7:18pm

I used to make jewelry back in highschool a long time ago. Since I started making glass beads though I've started wire working and what not again.
Old 2009-04-24, 7:49pm
My gang!!

I look forward to meeting you Sarah. All of us newbies will get through the demo one way or another. LOL!! We will be fine.
Old 2009-04-25, 8:09am
Boheme Flamework Designs

Hey Karen,

Are we going to have a silent auction again this year? Last year's was so awesome.

I love the man auction last year. Got myself a huge gorgeous vortex marble by Brian.

Last year was the first GS for me and everyone made me feel so welcomed and doing that demo bead was easier than I imagined.

Deb Cline
Old 2009-04-25, 8:50am
Critter Mom

Everyones demo ideas sound wounderful to me. I've only been doing lampwork for 2 years and would love to see any of the demos mentioned. Since I work with Bullseye I think I'm the odd one in the group. At this point I make sculptural critters...goofy lookin critters at that. Can't do any fancy decorations, no fancy encasing, can't do anything related to jewelry, know nothin' about color or color reactions...guess I'm just gonna have to demo a critter of some sort and hope for the best.

I was also wondering if we would be bidding on dudes and what exactly we were supposed to do with one of them if we won 'em. I'm so glad to get that straightened out.

Old 2009-04-25, 9:25pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Bonnie, your critters are great -I'd love to see them demo'd. And I use bullseye sometimes too, tend to forget I have it for a fe wmonths, then pull it out to play for awhile.

Old 2009-04-25, 10:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
I was also wondering if we would be bidding on dudes and what exactly we were supposed to do with one of them if we won 'em. I'm so glad to get that straightened out.
Sexual jokes aside, whatever (GLASS) you want them to do.
If you bid on one of the boro boys whose specialty is making
paperweights, then you should probably have them make you
a paperweight. Like I said before, Angie bid on Mark who specializes
in making goblets and glasses, so she had him make her a beautiful
martini glass.

Old 2009-04-25, 10:03pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
I look forward to meeting you Sarah. All of us newbies will get through the demo one way or another. LOL!! We will be fine.
You guys will all do great I'm sure!
If you are really scared, look me or Patty up and we'll come
sit next to you and hold your hand

Old 2009-04-25, 10:46pm
Dakine glass man

So last year was my first year at GS and i'ld have to say the first demo went a little rocky for me.....no major miss-haps but couldn't get used to using the torch i was demoing on. As far as i can tell you all though, these demos are mainly to help you get over your fears of torching (hopefully somebody will pick something up from you along the way) My later demos went better with a torch that i was more comfortable with.

And for all you ladies.....If you bid on me I can guarantee you one hot piece of (gl)ASS!

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2009-04-25, 10:58pm
My gang!!

Oh, it's great to hear from one of our boro boys!!

That's one thing I will worry about for the classes. I'm about to tranfer from a HH to a Cricket. Then when I get to GS I know they won't be using crickets, so I'm worried I won't be able to control a large torch. I can practice on a larger torch when I am visiting Jo (Vanityfaire). I forgot what she has.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:02pm
My gang!!

Quote:
You guys will all do great I'm sure!
If you are really scared, look me or Patty up and we'll come
sit next to you and hold your hand
I was looking at the classes and Deb's made more changes. I saw she added a couple of pendant making classes and was like, crap there goes my demo. But, BUT my pendants are made a different way and look different than that. I know how to do that style and do it sometimes, but the one I'm talking about demoing has a lot of culy qs in it. I should have some in my etsy shop.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:04pm
Dakine glass man

my problem was a center fire that wouldn't really sharpen or heavily oxidize (i think the torches are provided by carlisle...i believe they are mainly bobcats but don't quote me) For you the torches for beading are gonna be about the same size as you are used to working on. you will have to get used to a new knob setup but you would get anyless heat out of these torches than you do from your cricket....My suggestion is before you demo just sit down and play with your flames for a minute or two

Old 2009-04-25, 11:18pm
My gang!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
my problem was a center fire that wouldn't really sharpen or heavily oxidize (i think the torches are provided by carlisle...i believe they are mainly bobcats but don't quote me) For you the torches for beading are gonna be about the same size as you are used to working on. you will have to get used to a new knob setup but you would get anyless heat out of these torches than you do from your cricket....My suggestion is before you demo just sit down and play with your flames for a minute or two
Thanks. It might be a bobcat that Jo has, I'm not sure. But that's good advice about playing with the knobs and flame a bit before the demo.
Old 2009-04-26, 4:49pm
Bitten by the travel bug

I use a pirahna, and I havent really torched with anyone else since I upgraded from my HH a couple of years ago, so Ill will be interested in checking out how everyone uses the flame. I feel like I dont get the full advantage of having a faster torch now, as whenever I get too hot, I can bubble/discolour etc my glass, so I tend to use a fairly small flame. Im sure there must be a way to work with a bigger flame without that happening - maybe Im just too short and I should be working higher in the flame - it will be interesteing to see, regardless.

Old 2009-04-26, 6:21pm
I'm meeeeelting

The bobcat is a GTT torch. The small carlisle torch is the mini cc. Suz, I have a piranha, but I've also used a minor in classes and, briefly, played around on a friend's mini cc a few months ago. The knobs on the piranha are reversed and, if I recall correctly, turn in the opposite direction, but the heat isn't so different that you should have a huge problem.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2009-04-27 at 1:45pm.
Old 2009-04-27, 12:14am
Dakine glass man

oh yeah carlisle makes the hellcat!! my bad. (got my cats messed up)

Old 2009-04-27, 12:32am

Since I'm claiming the title of rank beginner at this event. I think I'll demo how I make some of my favorite stringers. I do twisties, ribbons, dicro stringers, and latticino. Love making them, finally using them.
Joan
Old 2009-04-27, 12:20pm
Type ZZZ personality

Sounds perfect Joan!

John, we'll let you slide this time!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-04-27, 4:41pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wait till you see Maui John do his "I work in a small room and
have to attract customers" Big massive gob of glass whip
technique. He's an amazing sight. Well, I mean, he's a hottie
too - but the boy can handle his glass .

Old 2009-04-27, 4:42pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
Since I'm claiming the title of rank beginner at this event. I think I'll demo how I make some of my favorite stringers. I do twisties, ribbons, dicro stringers, and latticino. Love making them, finally using them.
Joan
You will be surprised at how many people make lots of glass, but lack
the very simple ability to make nice looking stringers.

Seriously people, do NOT discount any abilities you may have. You'll
be amazed at the response to something that YOU feel is very simple
and basic.

Old 2009-04-27, 4:46pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Oh, it's great to hear from one of our boro boys!!

That's one thing I will worry about for the classes. I'm about to tranfer from a HH to a Cricket. Then when I get to GS I know they won't be using crickets, so I'm worried I won't be able to control a large torch. I can practice on a larger torch when I am visiting Jo (Vanityfaire). I forgot what she has.
I felt exactly the same way - going from a minor to using one of the
"big girl" torches at the event. Scared the g-string off me.
However, after getting over my fear and playing with one of the
four knob monsters, I felt an entirely DIFFERENT feeling come over me.

Torch lust.

Serious, painful, "when we part, I shall never be the same" torch lust.
It still hasn't left me. I came back home to my little torch, and well...
things haven't been the same between us. I still love her, and respect her
but she knows I ran with the big dogs, and try as she might...well....it's just
not the same between us....

We're only staying together for the sake of the Oxygen concentrators.

Old 2009-04-27, 4:58pm

Quote:
Torch lust.

Serious, painful, "when we part, I shall never be the same" torch lust.
It still hasn't left me. I came back home to my little torch, and well...
things haven't been the same between us. I still love her, and respect her
but she knows I ran with the big dogs, and try as she might...well....it's just
not the same between us....

Old 2009-04-28, 1:26pm

Karen you are the bestest girl for starting this thread! I remember my first year....soooooo nervous, sat next to Jill Symons. When I was done she said she liked the way I made my hollows.....I still love her for that. Karen is so right, there are always so many loving people at GS that you will never feel awkward.. We all just love glass and love to watch people play with glass. No matter how new you are there is always something to teach another lampworker... Seems like we all do things differently, and one thing you may do may be just the technique I was waiting to learn! I look forward to meeting all you new GS'ers!
Hugs,
Julia
Old 2009-04-28, 10:27pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
The knobs on the piranha are reversed and, if I recall correctly, turn in the opposite direction, but the heat isn't so different that you should have a huge problem.
eek, Ill probably singe my eyebrows instead then, or try and light the oxygen. *gulp*

Quote:

ROTFLOL!!!

I hope I dont get Torch Lust, as I cant afford the oxy cons - mine cost me $1400 second hand - I get so jealous when I see they are a few hundred in USA.