Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-03-25, 2:35am

Default "venting" about ventilation

Are there companies in the Chicago area that install ventilation systems? The HVAC company that services my furnace and the Home Depot don't do it and they were unable to recommend anyone. Setting up ventilation in my basement with duct work, hoods is something I am personally unable to do. What/who can I contact for help? (Sorry to sound so pathetic. I'm so frustrated! Each thread and website I read confuses me more than the last.)

Will the fan at the link below work for ventilation for my HH torch?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/9166D.html

Product info:

Specifications
  • Storm guard feature lets you close the window behind fan during inclement weather or when away from home
  • Fits windows 27-38"W x 26 1/4"H
  • Extender side panels provide a safe, custom fit inside or outside the window trim
  • Electrically reversible for air intake or exhaust (6 speeds)
  • Draws in cool air, exhausts hot air
  • High-quality permanently lubricated split capacity motor
  • Blade Diameter: 20"
  • CFM (Air Delivery): 3560 (newer conservative rating)
  • Motor RPM (High/Med./Low): 1,600/1,450/1,100
  • 120 V/60 Hz
  • Watts (High/Med./Low): 170/145/115
  • Amps (High/Med/Low): 1.4/1.2/1.0
Description
Why choose between reliability and versatility? The Air King 9166D window exhaust fan combines both with its durable construction and adjustable mounting and functions. Full steel construction makes this unit sturdy and resistant to damage and everyday wear and tear. Extendable side panels allow the fan to be mounted securely either inside or outside the window trim. The Air King 9166D is electrically reversible, so you can choose to sweep cool air in or exhaust hot, stale air out of your living space. The storm guard feature allows you to close the window behind the fan when you leave home or during harsh weather.

-Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-25, 6:05am

Sorry, no, but that is a general purpose room fan, and is really not suited for ventilating your torch work space.

Please read Mike Aurelius' safety blog on ventilation to get a better idea of what you need to do: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

Any HVAC company is able to do the work if they want to and are interested in getting some work. I'm guessing that the company you talked to wasn't interested.

Mike suggests that you read up on what you need to do, then draw up a handwritten design with a floor plan (also print out some pictures of existing ventilation systems from here on LE), then actually go visit a couple of HVAC businesses and sit down and discuss with one of their people what you need to do. It's a good idea to have a copy of Mike's Ventilation Primer with you when you go so they know what it is you are looking to build.

Good luck.

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-25, 6:21am

Thanks for your suggestion, Ed. I had already read the three -part primer. My math and visual/spatial abilities are so impaired; I don't understand much of it. But at least I do know now that HVAC companies should be able to do it, and I would think with the economy at such a low, I should be able to find someone willing to take on this job. I'll use your suggestion and bring the ventilation primer and some photos of members who posted pics and got it done right.
Thanks again.
-Tracy

Old 2009-03-25, 8:01am

As far as installation, I talked to someone (HVAC guy) who my DH knows recently and he said that most companies won't do that type of installation because of liability issues... it's not a typical installation for them and they don't know if it's appropriate for what you are wanting it to accomplish. "Let me worry about that" isn't usually enough for them because if you don't have enough ventilation and you end up sick because of it, they don't want to get sued because they didn't know/understand what you were using it for, etc. and sometimes a simple explanation *isn't* enough for them. (Not to mention the fact that there are some people out there that could be looking for ventilation for their meth lab or whatever... how's *that* for a liability issue...lol!!)

With all of that said, the guy I talked to is a friend of DH and said if he didn't have so many other things on his plate, he'd be happy to look at the safety subforum here on LE (or whatever else I could show him that would help) and figure out something for me. Fortunately, I don't need him... I'll be doing it myself (mine installation is going to be an easy one). If I were you, I'd keep asking around... maybe even call one of the HVAC companies and ask if there's someone there willing to answer some questions and see if they can recommend someone who can help you out (assuming the company won't do the installation). Hopefully someone will be willing to check out the site, do the math and install a system for you!

Old 2009-03-25, 8:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
As far as installation, I talked to someone (HVAC guy) who my DH knows recently and he said that most companies won't do that type of installation because of liability issues... it's not a typical installation for them and they don't know if it's appropriate for what you are wanting it to accomplish.
From Mike:

Quote:

YIKES!! Sorry, but I really have to disagree about that statement. While it **might** be appropriate for a solely residential HVAC contractor to make that statement, most HVAC contractors do both commercial and residential installations, and LEV (Local Exhaust Ventilation) is part and parcel of the commercial HVAC business.

As far as meth lab statement is concerned, quite honestly, that is so doggone far out there, that it borders on ...well, yeah. Way out there. First of all, a meth lab is not going to open its doors to a contractor to come in and install a ventilation system would they? Nor would they be coherent enough to even begin to talk to anyone what they needed. And where would they get the money? Please, let's have a bit of reality in this discussion. Bringing meth lab worries into this does nothing to solve Tracy's concerns!

Any HVAC company that does commercial work understands LEV, knows what is required and is able to do the work. The requirements of lampworking ventilation are among the lightest duty work and an easy day (or two) of work that many of these businesses ever have.

Old 2009-03-25, 8:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
From Mike:
Well, I wish I had the ability to quote what the HVAC guy I talked to... because he said it didn't matter how easy or whatever... that was the reason their company wouldn't contract that type of work because that's their policy. He said that off the job work, however, would be up to the person doing it... and some of them STILL wouldn't do it for liability. That may be the reason why no one called me back after he said he'd ask his employees if any of them would want to do it... back in December.

Last edited by Cassie; 2009-03-25 at 8:38am.
Old 2009-03-25, 10:42am

But not all companies will have that policy, Cassie! I can't imagine that, especially given the economic downturn, that any business that needs work is going to start turning down jobs for silly "liability" reasons.

I'm not saying that your contact didn't have this policy, just that IMO, it's pretty silly. There's been far too many people who have contracted with both HVAC firms and individuals to do this kind of work (as evidenced in this forum) to even imagine that it is a wide-spread issue.

Old 2009-03-25, 11:11am

I called an HVAC contractor today,explained in layman terms (I'm a glass artist who needs a kitchen hood ventilation system abovr\e my torch in my basement to pull noxious fumes away ftrom the torch to the outside - or now I'll call it wqhat you said - the(Local Exhaust Ventilation) Th contractor said he'd give me a call later to see when he could stop by...SO...'m going to print out Mark Aurelius' primer and hopefully, the contractor will understand the needs and not run away. I appreciate your help immensely, and I'm sure the guy will know from my smile that I'm not running a meth lab! lol

Old 2009-03-25, 11:26am

I know not all companies have that policy... I was stating what I was told by the employee I spoke with (I didn't even mention the other two companies I talked to and how I was told NO). I think I even mentioned in my original post that he stated that "most companies"... *not* ALL... would take issue with it. So please don't imply that I made a blanket statement. If I had, I would have told her to give up now instead of encouraging her to keep calling around.

You say it's silly, I agree. But I don't run that HVAC company... I don't run any of them! lol! If it were up to me, there would be someone in every single one of those companies that would be lampwork ventilation-friendly (or even have an open mind about such things), but unfortunately it's not up to me. And if it were up to me, someone would have already installed my system for me back in December when I was originally looking to have it put in.

Whatever the case, back to the OP. Tracy, I hope you get things worked out soon... I know how much it sucks waiting!

Old 2009-03-25, 11:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead_your_habit View Post
I'm sure the guy will know from my smile that I'm not running a meth lab! lol
What? You're not going around with meth mouth? lol!!

I know the "meth lab" possibility is downright silly no matter how you look at it, but it was one of the things the guy brought up... so someone's thinking about it!

Old 2009-03-26, 7:54am

Tracy - I don't normally recommend kitchen range hoods because they are seldom even remotely adequate, but here is a link posted by Dale M a while back you might find interesting

http://www.rangehoodsinc.com/rhi-cav...range-hood.php

To make this effective, you need to run the fan at max speed at all times and probably mount it no more than 24" above your work table (which is a reasonably comfortable height for many folks, it seems). You probably would also want to consider adding sides and a back to it. Since there is no CFM vs static pressure listed you'll want to be close to a window or other opening for exhaust in order to preserve the max benefit, but at least it gives you another alternative. If nothing else, it can give you a point of departure when talking to the HVAC people. I would also highly recommend reading the link Ed gave you

Linda