Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-12-28, 7:02pm

Default Drawer Pulls help

All of my drawer pulls are fractured next to the stainless steel inserts. There are no external cracks. I flame anneal and anneal in the kiln as I would any larger boro piece. Can any one give a me tip to keep this from happening?
Old 2006-12-28, 7:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffydog View Post
All of my drawer pulls are fractured next to the stainless steel inserts. There are no external cracks. I flame anneal and anneal in the kiln as I would any larger boro piece. Can any one give a me tip to keep this from happening?
I have heard this same complaint from others when it comes to making drawer pulls with boro and stainless inserts. It seems to work fine with softglass though. I am guessing that the stainless is expanding more than the boro is and cracking it. If so, I would suggest making them on a mandrell with heavy bead release and then maybe glueing the stainless steel inserts into them after they come out of the kiln. Just an idea.....

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-28, 9:05pm
Formerly known as LT

The COE for that metal is to different for the boro. Like Eric said it works for soft glass if you are careful and hold your head just right. I usually epoxy mine on for this reason.
Old 2006-12-28, 9:23pm

Default Drawer pulls are driving me crazy

And using the soft glass is a problem for me. I am so used to working boro, I boil all the soft glass. I've bought pounds of soft glass and books and read everything I can find and I still can't make a decent soft glass bead. They come out pretty nice with the boro with the exception of florals and I love them best.
I keep wanting to give up on the soft glass, but I am too bull headed and will keep trying. Thanks for the help!
Old 2006-12-28, 9:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Recently I've been using 5/32" mandrels and making the knob with the hole all the way through, like the old-fashioned glass ones in our 1909 bungalow. I like the finished look a lot, and the replacement screws are easy to find at hardware stores for about 20 cents each. I'll have to post some pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-28, 9:35pm
Glassbrat from Oregon

My soft glass cracks on the stainless insert. Help what am I doing wrong. I use bullseye and everyone I have made have cracked. Advise please.

thank you Kim

Creating is the greatest proof of being alive.
Old 2006-12-30, 8:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Recently I've been using 5/32" mandrels and making the knob with the hole all the way through, like the old-fashioned glass ones in our 1909 bungalow. I like the finished look a lot, and the replacement screws are easy to find at hardware stores for about 20 cents each. I'll have to post some pics.
Kalera, I would love to see your drawer pulls..... please??

Old 2006-12-30, 8:39pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh yeah, pictures! I'll go do that now...

Old 2006-12-30, 9:17pm
I'm a lilac!

OK, that only took freakin' FOREVER! Taking the pic was the easy part... but resizing it was a PITA because apparently Photoshop and iTunes don't get along, ergh! But here they are, all the ones I've made so far:
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-30, 10:16pm
Fire Bug Mommy

Kalera, those are awesome!!! That's just one long screw?

BTW, I don't think iTunes or iPhoto get along with anything! My iPod and my camera duke it out on a daily basis too. Lol!

Lauren
Old 2006-12-30, 10:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Lauren! Yes, it's just a long screw that goes all the way through... easy peasy! Here's a place where you can order them if your hardware store doesn't have them:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02002302/

Old 2006-12-30, 10:53pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh, and I use a hollow mandrel to poke an indentation at the top of the knob, where the screw head is recessed.

Old 2006-12-31, 4:40am
Nah, not really...;)

Wow Kalera, those are stunning!

And thanks for the tips and link.

Old 2006-12-31, 6:34am

Oh my gosh! Kalera, those are absolutely gorgeous. And thanks sooo much for taking the time on the picture. Don't you hate it when someone asks you to do that and you don't already have it set up?? !!!
These are worth putting in my "howto" folder.....yup yup yup

Old 2006-12-31, 10:58am
mystical cat lover 56

Beautiful !
Old 2006-12-31, 11:27am
Glassbrat from Oregon

wow

Creating is the greatest proof of being alive.
Old 2007-01-01, 9:42pm

Kalera you rock!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-01-01, 9:46pm
I'm a lilac!

<blushing> Thanks! I'm glad I could be helpful. I've been meaning to take pics of them, so I'm grateful for getting the kick in the tuchus to get it done!

Last edited by Kalera; 2007-01-01 at 10:04pm.
Old 2007-01-01, 9:57pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh Kalera,
I've been wanting to make drawer pulls, even got the stuff from home depot but hadn't tried it. Yours are GEORGEOUS!!!! I keep going back to look at them!! WOW!! Can I ask what kind of glass you use? (moretti, CIM, ASK?)
I just LOVE the colors!!!! Thank you for taking the time to post, I'm so excited to try them now!!!
sue

Old 2007-01-01, 10:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Sue! Some of them are Bullseye, some are Uroboros, and one is, I think, Gaffer. I like using the kind of translucent-y glass colors for knobs, so people don't assume they're painted or ceramic. Someday, I'll have my whole kitchen done! Hopefully by the end of 2007.

Old 2007-01-02, 7:44am

So, I am guessing these were made on a mandrel and then inserted over the bolt? I would love to attempt these for myself. Can you tell us what size mandrel you used??

Old 2007-01-02, 7:55am

Love those!!! I looked for those stupid plain-head screws and couldn't find any!

Now, if only someone could figure out how to make handles!

The best I've come up with is using a bar handle shaped like a TT and making something for the extending ends. They're really big though.
Old 2007-01-02, 8:52pm
I'm a lilac!

I *think* the mandrel size is 5/32". You might even be able to use 1/8", I haven't tried though. You can get them here: http://www.sundanceglass.com/glass-bead-tools-r.htm

Old 2007-01-02, 9:41pm

For some reason I'm thinking that boro needs brass? And stainless steel works with moretti, but not bullseye? Don't use galvinized, it will crack. The coating of zinc does something funky with the glass. You *can* burn off the zinc coating, then file the remainder off but you need some serious ventilation. Probably simpler to find non galvinized stuff to put it on. Wish I knew what worked with bullseye.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-01-03, 5:54am

Does anyone know if a person could get this size at a welding shop? Thanks, Kalera. You are a jewel for sharing this with every one....

Old 2007-01-03, 12:36pm
Type ZZZ personality

Those are awesome Kalera!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-06-29, 11:48am
Borovangelist

wow!!!

|
|
Old 2009-08-10, 4:22pm

Default I use Stainless steel inserts with Boro

I use stainless steel #8-32 inserts with boro glass without cracking. The trick is to heat the insert until it is glowing red, apply the boro, and work it as if the insert isn't there (making sure not to cover the hole).

Anneal for 30 minutes at 1060 F then ramp down at no more than 100 degrees per hour. I stop when I hit 80- degrees. I have yet to have a knob crack due to the incompatibility between the steel and the glass.

I use stainless steel coupling nuts as my inserts. They are much cheaper than the cabinet pull inserts I have seen at the big internet glass suppliers. They are available at boltdepot.com. I use #8-32 X 1/2 inch which accepts the standard knob bolts. Any #8-32 screw available at your local hardware store will work. Hope this helps someone. I have cracked many knobs until I figured out a ramping schedule that works.
Old 2009-08-10, 7:32pm

Kalera those are very beautiful !!!!!! adding this to my todo list.

R-118
Old 2009-08-11, 4:59pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Just found this thread and Kalera, those are amazing~!