No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-02, 9:01pm
LFCookie

Default Rod warmer

I can't afford $190 for a real rod warmer. I have seen somewhere that someone used a Hot comb stove to pre warm their rods which are priced at $50 which I thought was a good price. I've tried a small George Forman grill but it burned up quickly. Good thing it was used from goodwill! anyone else have ideas?
Old 2011-04-02, 9:36pm
KitseyBelle

I have a hot plate that I put a steel plate on to preheat my rods on.
Old 2011-04-02, 10:53pm
Entropy increasing....

You can also sit them on top of your kiln. Costs nothing extra.
Old 2011-04-02, 11:15pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

LFCookie... If you check out Devardi glass and see their rod warmers, I think you would be happy with it. I believe it is what you are looking for!!

http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm#PROFESSIONAL GLASS ROD WARMER

$32 seems like a pretty good deal to me, with only minor cosmetic defects. You should check it out........ it's next on my list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-04-02, 11:29pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Gold-N-Hot or similar name. Works great, is enclosed, gets to about 950 degF, ceramic element (no shock risk), costs about $50, search for curling iron warmers.
Old 2011-04-03, 4:14am
Detail G-Mama!

This is what I have and it works great! Rod warmer

Old 2011-04-03, 7:05am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
I have a hot plate that I put a steel plate on to preheat my rods on.
Ditto. I've had it for years, and it works great. It also has a heat control knob.

I found a tiny cast iron skillet, about 4" in diameter, which I put on the steel plate and in which I keep murrini and chunks of aventurine.

Old 2011-04-03, 7:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
This is what I have and it works great! Rod warmer
I have the same one and has worked great for several years now.

Old 2011-04-03, 7:57am

This is what I've uses for the last 6 years. Costs about $50 and the rack is made from a BBQ grill part and some bent welding rod.

Robert
Old 2011-04-03, 8:04am
LFCookie

Woo-Hoo! Thanks all!
Old 2011-04-03, 8:50am
Triumphantly Knit!

I have the devardi warmer, actually I have 2. The first one melted my rods, the second one Daniel sent me doesn't melt them as much. The softer rods do bend and they will fuse if touching.
I found having fewer rods in it at once works better, less heat being held by fewer rods, I suppose.
Someone suggested putting it on a dimmer.
I like what Robert did, using the bbq rack, I'm gonna do that with an old toaster oven rack as soon as I'm done typing this.
I'd go for the scarch n'dent and just know what you're dealing with.
I also shut it off intemittently, if I'm working for a long time, that way I control the heat.
They are a big help, esp. with those punky 1# cannisters. thing for me is, I always change my pallette and inevitably the rods I put in the warmer, other than clear, I hardly use. I need like a rod warming table!
I think they're worth it.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-03, 5:30pm

If you use a curling iron heater be sure to put some heavy metal screen or hardware cloth in the bottom to keep softer colors like white from sticking to the ceramic lining. If you look closely at mine you'll see a piece cut from a metal gutter guard on the bottom.

Robert
Old 2011-04-04, 8:14pm
I'm meeeeelting

Amazon has a good price on the curling iron heater with free shipping. I have a piece of graphite in the bottom of mine to prevent sticking. If you leave the rods in for hours at a time, they may warp - this thing gets hot!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-04-04, 9:12pm
LFCookie

thanks for all the tips everyone!
Old 2011-04-04, 10:02pm

Not any electric frying pans?
Old 2011-04-05, 6:37am

Electric frying pans don't really get hot enough and you have the matter of the rim giving you contact with the hot surface at only one small point. The curling iron heaters allow you to pretty evenly bring up a couple of inches of glass to over 800 degrees and reduce thermal shocking.

Robert
Old 2011-04-05, 7:55am
Ready to hit the road

I use a cheap hair straightener from Walmart with a rock on it to keep it partially shut. It keeps the rods warm, and it has a 2 hr. turn off switch, which is nice for those senior moments when I forget to unplug it.

•

•

Old 2011-04-05, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Electric frying pans don't really get hot enough and you have the matter of the rim giving you contact with the hot surface at only one small point. The curling iron heaters allow you to pretty evenly bring up a couple of inches of glass to over 800 degrees and reduce thermal shocking.

Robert
Excellent points.
Old 2011-04-06, 4:02pm

I use Electric rollers. Took the rollers out and put in some fiber blanket.
Old 2011-04-06, 5:23pm
I fart diamonds

I have fiber blanket in mine to prevent the rods from sticking.

Old 2011-04-06, 5:52pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I turned my Holey Roller upside down and tucked it into my Gold 'n' Hot. The rods rest on it and not on the bottom of the unit.

Also set the Gold 'n' Hot on top of something that is heatproof, like a piece of cement board.

Old 2011-04-07, 10:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Rod Warmer or Ceramic Heater Stove

Rod Warmers are also called Ceramic Heater Stoves, when used in hair care. You can do a search for the best prices using that name and get many. They run about $35 and up, and reach 800-900 degrees, so no Crock Pot or Grill can come close to what they do for your rods in preheating. You can see the jumbo rod in the picture for example. It will be easy to pull stringer from it after preheating.

I have a little plate on top of mine to set murrini on as well. I use one all the time, and have a medium-sized nut can from walmart turned upside down to hold the ends of my rods level. Can't get more frugal than that!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-04-07 at 10:58am.
Old 2011-04-07, 2:13pm
Ready to hit the road

You know, I might have to get one of those. I like the way you heat murrini on the top of it.

•

•

Old 2011-04-07, 2:17pm

I had an old buffet server - flat glass that heats up to keep hot food hot. I use it and works great. But I had to learn not to put bags of murini on it - the plastic melted! At least I saved the murini.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-04-07, 4:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
You know, I might have to get one of those. I like the way you heat murrini on the top of it.
I'm on a Hothead, so I also set brass presses on top for a few minutes to warm them up for a better press. But only a few minutes... 900 degrees heats things up fast!
Old 2011-04-15, 4:34am
Ready to hit the road

I bought the ceramic stove from Amazon, and I really like it!

I'm going to have to break one habit, though. For years, as a final step to remove any dust, I swipe clear rods under my arm. Just let me say that this stove heats the rods enough that it left streaks of my burned shirt to the rod.

•

•

Old 2011-04-15, 6:10am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:

I'm going to have to break one habit, though. For years, as a final step to remove any dust, I swipe clear rods under my arm. Just let me say that this stove heats the rods enough that it left streaks of my burned shirt to the rod.

Yikes, that Rod Warmer reaches upwards of 900 degrees Imagine how hot a 500 degree oven is, and then double it No more swiping!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-04-15 at 4:34pm.
Old 2011-04-15, 1:18pm
Ready to hit the road

Learned my lesson!

•

•

Old 2011-04-15, 1:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-15, 1:44pm
Living Life Creatively

I love my ceramic heater too—and just posted an article about it to my blog just before I saw this thread! LOL Here's the link, if anyone is interested:
http://loribergmann.blogspot.com/201...od-warmer.html
-
-
-