Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2012-02-10, 2:58pm
Finally doing what I love

Default Fingers Crossed

Every year I want to go and so far every year something has come up.....
but this year so far so good....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
It's very hard to lampwork with your fingers crossed!

How many people usually don't get in?

Christina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do what you Love and Love what you do!
Old 2012-02-10, 7:19pm

Christina,
I felt so lucky to get in my first year, but it was so dangerous for me- it got me on my glass addictions. I tried boro and furnace glass for the first time! I have always wanted to try glass blowing and I was still such a newbie at lampworking so it was fun trying some of the big torches and seeing how other people work. I was (and still am) so in awe of everyone there, and everyone's so friendly and willing to share. I think everyone got in the first year I went (two years ago), but I still keep my fingers crossed too
Old 2012-02-10, 8:22pm
I'm meeeeelting

I think everyone got in last year, too.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-02-12, 10:29am

Default I sounds like my kind of place

Wow, it sounds amazing! Just like my kind of place. I try to do a class in lampworking every year to keep myself inspired. Which is easy to do when you can find such amazing classes. This year's line-up is right up my alley because I've been making complex Murrini and there are two murrini makers coming! Woo hoo!

Still keeping the fingers crossed

Christina

Old 2012-02-14, 1:18pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Christina, as Brenda and Felicia said most if not all folks got in last 2 years!
This year's sign up is going great, can't tell yet if it will be a lottery. We do take half new folks so your chances are better being the first time (we never want a "click").

We have really approachable and amazing teachers, some great new classes from "staff" and always a friendly, family atmosphere....we would love to have you!
deb

Old 2012-02-14, 4:49pm

Default It sounds amazing!

It sounds just amazing! I'd love to meet more lampworkers. I really don't know very many.

It's very nice of you to let new people have a good chance to come. I'm very much looking forward to the opportunity.... Though my luck is not always good

If I don't manage to be one of the lucky ones I'll just keep trying until lady luck gives me a break

Deb: Thanks for planning such an amazing event.... Good classes are hard to find.

Christina

Old 2012-02-21, 8:20am
Wooohooo,GS!

Christina, sorry, had a super busy weekend!
Almost everyone that is "new" to Glass Stock gets in...the returnees have a harder time as there are always more returning than new folks. Taking half new attendees always keeps things fresh and exciting!
Thanks for the thanks, it is an unbelievable amount of work (I start 9 months ahead) but worth every minute spent every year! It is folks like you who keep me doing this event, plus of course, seeing the rest of our family every year rocks!
Hugs! deb

Old 2012-02-21, 6:20pm

Default How many people attend?

Wow, sounds like my chances this year are good.... But next year I'll be praying to get in again Everyone I've ever talked to about it says it's addictive... You get hooked after your first class

The planning for this kind of thing sounds brutal! I'm sure everyone that attends is appreciative though... As I said good classes are hard to find. I seem to need to travel more and more to find good ones.

How many people attend? You must be limited by how many torch stations you can set up. It's nice you do a variety of classes... It will force people like me to try something other than lampworking... My husband says I'm obsessed. He's right... I am!

Old 2012-02-21, 6:45pm
I'm meeeeelting

It's completely addictive. So much sharing, so much fun, awesome peeps and so many crazy antics.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-02-21, 7:15pm
Type ZZZ personality

Yep, yep, yep!!

My friend Mari tried to get me to go 2 years before I did, and I kick myself for not listening to her right away!

It's definitely the highlight of my year!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2012-02-26, 1:11pm

Default Have you seen her work?

Hey Deb,

I know you likely have all the instructors you need for this years show but in the future maybe you would be interested in Ayako? I absolutely LOVE her work and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Her murrini is to die for

Ayako's website: http://www13.ocn.ne.jp/~shiro-ya/indexenglish.html

I believe she is on LE too.

Old 2012-03-10, 10:03am
Wooohooo,GS!

Christina,
Thanks so much for the referral, we love to have staff and attendees suggest new featured artists. The featured artists are what keep the staff learning new things too.
We will definitely consider her for 2013!

The sign up for West is going great, East is a little slow as it was last year. All you East coast peeps, please don't wait too long to sign up so we know how many to expect!

Have a great weekend everyone...I am going out to make some stoppers for the incredible perfume bottles my son made yesterday. We are having a BLAST making them...we might just do a demo at GS on them for everyone...so much FUN!

Glassy goodness!
deb

Old 2012-03-10, 10:11am
Wooohooo,GS!

DROOOOOOL....Ayako's Waterlily with dragonfly...WOW, just amazing work, thank you for sharing.....that sure makes me want to fire up...great timing!
deb

Old 2012-03-13, 1:44pm
Still makin' flowers...

Hey everyone!

Deb asked me to go ahead and post on here that they currently have something like 9" of snow on the beach in Oregon. They have limited power, so she hasn't had a chance to send me the class descriptions and photos. The website classes won't be up as soon as we had hoped. I'm going to try and rearrange my schedule so when she gets the listing and the photos to me this weekend I can get them up for everyone to see.

I probably shouldn't mention that its something like 78 and sunny here....

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2012-03-14, 2:29pm
Wooohooo,GS!

No Hannah, you shouldn't....bad girl!
Thanks so much for helping post all these classes, we have over 60 classes, 36 torch, 6 torch demo....a killer line up!
It will be sometime this weekend now before I can get to it either....might even be next week but definitely before
I head to Vegas!

It has been crazy here....no power...no internet.....finally got both today, woohoo!
Well, at least we have dry wood still!

Ok, going to find pics of our lovely weather for ya'll now.....

Old 2012-03-14, 2:42pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Default Crazy weather

It sure has been a crazy lion's March here, the snow is about 7"... one of my 20' rhododendron trees feel last night 3' from the house....2 other trees fell on my property, within 3-5 feet of house Monday night. One of my trees snapped off and ended hanging on my neighbor's roof.

At least we are all ok...my kids slept on floor in living room next to wood stove...my grand daughter was really scared, you could hear the trees crack and just wait for them to thunder down somewhere. It was so dark you didn't know where they were landing, we got almost no sleep that night! Thank god for wood stove to heat and make coffee, get food hot....

No cable or power...it sucked... but I got to read by the fire! FINALLY internet and cable today...but not for too long, they are warning 60-80mph wind gusts again tonight with the temp power fixes...they think we will lose it again tonight...so I am scrambling to get PC stuff done and auction shipping....the winds are already whipping again at 50+, it is going to be another long night! So hang on to get these classes posted...and check out latest roster revise teachers...should be in your mail boxes now.

I may lose power anytime, so may not be back here today.
Here are a couple pics for you guys....
Attached Images

Last edited by deb c; 2012-03-14 at 3:42pm.
Old 2012-03-14, 2:48pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Default Cats hunker down....

The last pic in post above is out front on my road.
The first one here is my poor rhodie...ripped up by the 4' root ball...

And I have to post the cats taking one for the team when we had no power.....
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-14, 4:07pm
Type ZZZ personality

They don't look worried at all! Little Zelda is getting so big!

That looks crazy! The weather is so bizarre! We have record high temps today. Stay safe and warm Miss Deb! We love you!

I echo that we have some awesome classes on the roster!!! Lots of new stuff as well as many popular classes from the past. EVERYONE should sign up to attend!!

Can't wait to see you all again this fall!

Old 2012-03-14, 4:59pm
I'm meeeeelting

The class list is fantastic!

Stay warm and dry, Deb. The coast isn't supposed to get snow!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-03-14, 9:43pm

Wow, that's really wild, and scary! Stay warm and safe Deb. Love you!!
Old 2012-03-15, 7:31pm
Eugene, Oregon

Sorry about the rhody..

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2012-03-16, 8:25am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks everyone...it was very scary! Good thing I have taken 30+ trees out in the last 3 years, just had 3 taken out a month ago. Still have over 150 trees on my property. One 60' tree was leaning on my storage shed (really should have been taken out before the shed was built!) and full of ivy...the snow would have taken it down too and wiped out the shed full of glass. The guy who takes them out for me said it is a shame they weren't culled before things were built under them....about 1/2 the Beach Pine trees were way too tall and heavy at the top when I bought the place.

Anyway, need to have 6 more taken out in a couple weeks when the wind dies down, at least I use all the wood for the 3 wood stoves so the carnage has purpose too! Plus I am getting way more sun as the bad trees come down!

BIG hugs and a super thanks to everyone, especially those who came to help move trees, limbs and some even drove over with their nice cars full of dry wood (we had gone through our normal 6 cords for winter already) when we had no power!! We really appreciate all the help from awesome friends!

I have been madly working on GS roster...should be posted this weekend for all of you to peruse! Also working on my debut of my spiral blowing molds..woohoo! I will post details about my new shell molds on the self-promotion page in a little while.

You all rock....love, hugs and sighs (as long as the winds stay calm!)
deb

Old 2012-03-16, 8:26am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Nancy!
We are going to try and stand it back up...will have to prune 1/3 of it and then wench it up to a tree next to it...they are tough plants. It is a sight to see 20+ feet of pink flowers every year...this is the biggest rhodie I have ever seen, although they do grow wild here.

Old 2012-03-17, 1:01pm

Hi deb, hope your doing okay ! We had 17 feet of snow last winter and know what it's like worrying about trees and your roof collapsing ! Hope it's over soon !
Don't know if I can afford to go to glass stock this year, my daughter got accepted to broadcasting school...yeah ! But may have to miss this year to help her with school. I've had such an amazing experience learning and meeting all my wonderful glassy friends !
You all rock ! Hopefully if things work out I will see you all again in September, if not hopefully next year !

Penny
Old 2012-03-18, 9:41am
I'm meeeeelting

Penny, Congratulations to your daughter, but .

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2012-03-18, 11:18am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Mmm.....just a tidbit - I saw the preliminary roster for the classes,
and this year is going to be INSANE. If you've never gone to Glass Stock,
this would be a great year to start.

Wow.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-03-19, 1:00pm
Type ZZZ personality

^^^ Yup, yup, yup!

Plus you'd get to see that Karen is just as insane in person and she seems online...

Old 2012-03-19, 3:10pm

Default These classes are awesome!

These classes look amazing! The problem is narrowing down which ones you want to take! Soooooo manny to choose from

Christina

Old 2012-03-19, 9:22pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks you all!
Missed that about Zelda, Patty, sorry! Yes, she is getting big....and just as crazy! Her latest thing is grabbing my hair while I am sleeping and trying to run away with it!
Thanks for the concern everyone, expecting more snow Thursday after the next 2 days of solid rain...OH JOY!

Penny, aw, I understand but hope you can come after all...fingers crossed for you and congrats!

Thanks Christina, I have almost all of the classes posted now...a few demos left to post, a couple "other" classes, wrangle up a few more folks pictures, etc. Should be complete by Sunday. You can all go see most of what will be available..I think we have a total of 61 classes this year! It is such a sight to see 45 torches going pretty much non-stop for 4 days...woohoo!
Good night everyone,
deb

Old 2012-03-20, 6:01pm

Looking good Deb.