Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-10, 8:40pm
Storm Queen

Yes, those are both encased. The white spots/blobs appear after I've heated up the glass and let it cool to turn brown. They don't budge. They were white after encasing too and changed to yellowish in the kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:18pm
Tweedle Dumb

Hey Amy, is it possible that those little spots wish to be kiln struck? Sounds like they are shifting in the kiln, maybe they have a tiny bit of Pandora's qualities? I know mine shift a lot in the kiln. Throw them in for another cycle for shits and giggles.

Ohhh! And the spots on all the beads... I kinda like them...

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-07-10 at 9:20pm.
Old 2010-07-10, 9:21pm
Storm Queen

How long would you think they would need to be in the kiln to get struck if that were the case? They were in there at 980 for about 5 hours and then my ramp down is hella slow. It takes 13 hours to get to 400 degrees. I have put other TN2.0 beads in the kiln for a second time (not for white spots) and nothing happened. I think the white spots are chunks of silver or some other metal...but that's just a guess.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:24pm
Tweedle Dumb

I would think that would be sufficient. If they were gonna do anything, they would have already, huh?

Old 2010-07-10, 9:26pm
Storm Queen

I bought four more pounds of the TN2.0 seconds. I'm wondering if that's enough? I'll DIE without that glass. DIE.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:27pm
Tweedle Dumb

I have lots, I don't want to die either. I did inventory... 10 pounds of various pulls. HOLY SHIT.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Hos.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-10, 9:42pm
Tweedle Dumb

But... but... It's gonna be worth $10 a rod some day. It's an investment. (shhh that's what I tell him)

Old 2010-07-10, 9:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Not that you would sell it, but it'll be worth a shitload of money.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-10, 9:45pm
Tweedle Dumb

Zactly.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Kind of like the Terra I have hoarded

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-10, 9:52pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ahh yes. Terra. The glass that irritates my glassy groove. The one thing the old Terra and Terra 2 have in common... I can't get them to do shit.

Old 2010-07-10, 9:56pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love them both, although I think Terra 2 strikes easier.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-10, 9:58pm
Storm Queen

A total of 5 pounds really isn't enough is it? If money wasn't an issue I'd buy a lot more.

Old 2010-07-11, 7:01am
Tweedle Dumb

5lbs is a lot. 10 pounds is "call the mental institution". I buy at least a 1/4 pound everytime I order glass.

Old 2010-07-11, 10:10am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
5lbs is a lot. 10 pounds is "call the mental institution". I buy at least a 1/4 pound everytime I order glass.
I think 10 pounds means you are on the DH "favorite customer" list.

Old 2010-07-11, 5:30pm
Tweedle Dumb

Eeee... I don't think so.

Old 2010-07-12, 5:00pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Kind of like the Terra I have hoarded
I think all together I may have a half of a pound left.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-12, 5:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I think all together I may have a half of a pound left.
Yeah, but that's like 10,341 beads for you, isn't it?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-07-12, 5:04pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I don't think it's THAT many beads...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-07-13, 9:24pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I bought four more pounds of the TN2.0 seconds. I'm wondering if that's enough? I'll DIE without that glass. DIE.
I feel the same about the TN2.1. I would DIE...

Now with Terra2 all I have to do is wave my baby-poo wand and *POOF*,

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-07-13, 10:00pm
Storm Queen

Wow. How are you getting those pinks from 2.1?

Old 2010-07-14, 7:33am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Amy, those two beads were made from the same pulled stringer of TN2.1. Many times I will under strike a bead, anneal it, and if it comes out a bit yellow, I put it in the kiln for another cycle. Usually the second time I get more of a maroon red, but this time I got that fabu fushcia. YUM!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-07-14, 8:07am
Gimme that silver glass!

Okay, now I want some of that TN Dark, but I can't find it on their website? Was it an odd or test batch?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-07-14, 3:10pm
Bad Cat Glass

It's under glass rods, go to Terra Nova 2.1, and you can buy either the light or the dark using the pull-down menu.
Old 2010-07-16, 6:26am
Tweedle Dumb

Hey Amy, did you go look at the new Pandora 2 swatch? It has tons of those little specks you don't like, I wonder if their raw materials changed... they seem to be in the Terra 2 and the TN2.1 and now the Pandora 2 too...

Old 2010-07-16, 8:26am
Storm Queen

I didn't know there was even a Pandora 2. I sure hope those specks don't start showing up in all the glass. It's in Terra2 so I just do my webbing technique to get rid of it.

Old 2010-07-16, 8:55am
Tweedle Dumb

Me either, I just went to check out what kind of seconds they had and on the home page there was a "new" looking color... Pandora 2. The colors look a lot nicer than the original, but those specks are pretty obvious.

Old 2010-07-16, 9:07am
Storm Queen

Well TN2.0 seconds are now half price. I guess I ordered a week too early. I just ordered more so I think I'm good now.

Old 2010-07-16, 9:24am
Tweedle Dumb

Shall I call the mental ward?