LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-03, 5:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Torch Distance Question

Would someone please address what is the safe distance between the torch and a non-flammable ceramic tile back, and between the torch to the height of the exhaust ducting above (for both a Hothead and a GTT Cricket or small-medium mixed fuel torch)?

I have a Hothead now, and plan to upgrade to the GTT Cricket in the future. The exhaust ducting is aluminum or thin sheet metal (?) from Lowes.

The present distance is 20 inches from the end of the Hothead Torch to the ceramic floor-tile back, and 22 inches from the torch head up to the aluminum ducting.

I would appreciate information on the heat and the safe distance requirements.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-02-03 at 9:58am.
Old 2010-02-03, 6:38am

That's a great question. I just purchased a betta (working on a hothead also). I am trying to set my table up and think about how to do the ventilation also. I'm not sure what my backboard will be yet, but I want to make sure I have the right amount of distance from my torch to the wall. Might seem like a dumb question, but not when you have a new torch to deal with. Thanks for asking the question and hopefully someone will help us.
Old 2010-02-03, 8:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I agree - it's a really relevant question that I don't see addressed, and it is critical to safety!

My husband built the 2" x 4" frame on 3 sides - attached to the top of this large desk, and then he cemented the floor tiles to it for a fireproof surround. Then he took sheet metal and made 3 sides and a top for it and set that on top of the tile surround and then attached the ducting to the ceiling of it.

I have always wondered if it is to shallow or low to handle a dual torch, so perhaps one of the Senior Advisers can help us...

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-02-03 at 8:46am.
Old 2010-02-03, 10:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

The distance for wall to torch seem best if its about 24 inches or more.... Real test is if you have had torch on for some time and wall in front of torch is cool enough you can lay hand on it with out any discomfort (warm maybe -but not hot) you are probably ok.... Wall is probably just picking up some radiant heat...

As for hood height, probably should be as close to flame as practical, meaning it will not be a head bumper or you will not be hitting it with tool/rods but it should be "in line" with torch combustion plume...

Plenty written about this in "safety" forum....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-02-03, 10:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Plenty written about this in "safety" forum....Dale
Thank you! I will dig in to the Safety Forum and I really appreciate your basic minimums. This link was just suggested in the Safety Forum for any who want a quick one:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=149806

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-02-03 at 11:02am.
Old 2010-02-03, 2:56pm
Alaska Boro

Will also add that there should be nothing on the wall that can burn. In my case use tile on the table top covered with ceramic backer board. i.e. beads bounce better on the backer than on tile and chips of glass and release are easier to clean off. They do not get between the tile joints. Of course if it is grouted in then that is a non issue.

The wall, in my case, is covered with cement backer (mostly cement) and as others have stated it should not get hot. But please, remove all of that fire loving paper from your wall!!
Old 2010-02-03, 3:51pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you! I use it for inspiration, but I see what you mean!