Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-06-22, 3:00pm

I'm not reading a bunch of posts because I have a bunch of orders that need to be out of here in the morning! BUT~Is Sherry almost done with the tutorial? I'm going to wait for it before I even try the technique. I hope she is not feeling too pressured...Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-22, 3:36pm
Passion for Glassion

[quote=Kevan;1920953]

Or this-

Kevan, just as an FYI, I thought these beads you made were a great
example of "using the technique, but making it different". You put
a nice twist on the look. I remember thinking this when you posted it
in the Gallery. Nice going. I really like the white and pink one.. the other one
too...

Suz

Suz

"Things are beautiful if you love them. "
Quote by Jean Anouilh

Old 2008-06-22, 4:03pm
Born Facing Left

Update regarding the tutorial!

All the photography is done, and most of the text as well. I expect to send two "beta test" copies to my official "test it out" people by midweek, and with luck, it will be available in it's final form by next weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, I just didn't want to rush this, and wind up with something not up to my standards, or your expectations.

Old 2008-06-22, 4:03pm

Oh My......... Maybe a dose of your medicine is in order Brent...
sleep well.....

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Why would anybody "need" that? There are a lot of things in my life that I think I need and probably don't... this isn't even a blip on the radar.

You may want to consider lighting the torch.

I have no problem with taking appropriate steps to keep people honest about what they are selling... it just makes me sad to see some people getting so wrapped up in it that they are neglecting their creative side. People can get as wrapped up in this and make it as dramatic as they want to. I was simply trying to remind them that there are other things... and those other things bring me joy. If being right in the middle of this type of situation is what makes them happy, I say go for it. Make this a big part of your life if you want to.

Does this look familiar to you??

Old 2008-06-22, 4:22pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Update regarding the tutorial!

All the photography is done, and most of the text as well. I expect to send two "beta test" copies to my official "test it out" people by midweek, and with luck, it will be available in it's final form by next weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, I just didn't want to rush this, and wind up with something not up to my standards, or your expectations.

This is great news, Sherry! It sounds like it will be something we can buy directly from you then rather than wait for a published article somewhere?

Old 2008-06-22, 4:37pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post
Oh My......... Maybe a dose of your medicine is in order Brent...
sleep well.....

Why would anybody "need" that? There are a lot of things in my life that I think I need and probably don't... this isn't even a blip on the radar.

You may want to consider lighting the torch.

I have no problem with taking appropriate steps to keep people honest about what they are selling... it just makes me sad to see some people getting so wrapped up in it that they are neglecting their creative side. People can get as wrapped up in this and make it as dramatic as they want to. I was simply trying to remind them that there are other things... and those other things bring me joy. If being right in the middle of this type of situation is what makes them happy, I say go for it. Make this a big part of your life if you want to.

Does this look familiar to you??
Sure does. I torched both yesterday and today. Happy with everything I made and I didn't save not one of these threads to my hard drive. I hope you had wonderful torch sessions as well.

Wanna show and tell what we made?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-22, 5:22pm

Sure..... I have some in the kiln cooled waiting to clean and a bunch on the counter ready to take pics....

No need to get snarky with me.. I was just reminding you of your advice...

Oh and you must not have seen my response to you yesterday.... so here it is...

I wish I could physically stay at the torch the hours that you and other do. Problem is that physically I can't. A majority of my day is
spent lying around because of back, leg, neck and tailbone problems. It will never get any better. To me even though not "directly"
affected, we are all "indirectly" affected. That is why I offer to keep up with these files and transfer them into different docs. The
"REASON" someone might need them would be to show Etsy, Ebay or whoever proof of the lying, copying, stealing etc. Dumb me! I
thought I was "HELPING the Lampwork community". It is easy for you to judge when the type bead you make is not being stolen or
copied, or misrepresented.

Last edited by Lizabeads; 2008-06-22 at 5:31pm.
Old 2008-06-22, 5:57pm
boro color bender

That was a playful reply... just sayin I have taken my own advise... thanks for the reminder though. If I was glued to this forum, I may have needed it. Some times an outside voice of reason is just what I need. I've been working and relaxing too. Checking in here during breaks.

Sorry about your back.

You're probably right about me not being a good judge. If my beads were stolen, misrepresented or copied like yours have been, then I might be more upset and involved.

My beads have been copied and stolen (not in this go around), but never misrepresented. I might get more upset by the misrepresentation than I was about the other. The other didn't bother me much. I'll PM you if I ever get really pissed off and need help.

I hope the kiln opening is a happy moment.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-22, 6:08pm

sherry, I will buy the tute. Thank you. Brent, I'm with you on this.

Old 2008-06-22, 6:13pm

Sherry, great news about the tutorial! I can hardly wait for Glass Stock - I'm in your Chaos class and I have soooo much to learn. Any way we could speed up the calendar???

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2008-06-22, 6:29pm
boro color bender

I may have found the solution to all our problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naYVZ...eature=related

Old 2008-06-22, 10:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I may have found the solution to all our problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naYVZ...eature=related

I kinda liked this one !! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlbH-...eature=related

Old 2008-06-22, 10:53pm

Quote:
That was a playful reply... just sayin I have taken my own advise... thanks for the reminder though. If I was glued to this forum, I may have needed it. Some times an outside voice of reason is just what I need. I've been working and relaxing too. Checking in here during breaks.
Sorry about your back.
You're probably right about me not being a good judge. If my beads were stolen, misrepresented or copied like yours have been, then I might be more upset and involved.
My beads have been copied and stolen (not in this go around), but never misrepresented. I might get more upset by the misrepresentation than I was about the other. The other didn't bother me much. I'll PM you if I ever get really pissed off and need help.

I hope the kiln opening is a happy moment.
Tis cool !! I just figured you needed a nudge....
I must not have been around when yours were stolen.. don't remember it. Sad thing for anyone to go through.
I'm always willing to help anyway I can especially when it affects us all.

Old 2008-06-22, 11:52pm
I speak Murrini!

Brent...Dude!!! As you pointed out, Sherry has done a wonderful job of staying on track and it looks like that tutorial is going to be available soon! I'll get in line...I think right behind Shaun T, who's first, right? (wink!)

I can't speak for Sherry, but if I were in her shoes, I'd be feeling kind of sad how this thread took a turn. I think her beads are wonderful! I also think Anouks are, and Kevans are, and I'm sure once the tutorial comes out, there will be a lot of this technique being used by many people - and a lot of wonderful examples. Personally I don't have much of a stomach for the copying subject anymore...I think it's silly and pathetic!

Of course, I don't live far from an intersection where, on April 29th 1992, someone nearly lost their life (IMHO) with a similar "bang the drum" resonance to it's ignition point. Interestingly, in the end, the phrase that reverberated most loudly was "Can't we all just get along?"

Looking forward to the Tutorial, Sherry - and the wonderful examples of the technique that come along with it!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-23, 12:51am
See my quote!!

Quote:
wrong #2= you lump everybody together and insult our members as a group
Don't go putting words in my mouth. I did not lump everyone together. I said an LE country club which in my mind was a select few who become the copy police, the ethics committee, the sayers of what is right and what is wrong. There are actually some very beautiful people here who do not feel the need to constantly police what everybody else is doing and enjoy melting glass for what it is - who have FUN sharing ideas without thoughts of ill intent. But talking about what they love, how they got there, and the path they are following. Sadly, some feel the constant need to bring a NEGATIVE vibe into everything!!!

Just one last thought. Somebody mentioned how many views. The views to this thread multiplied at a very fast pace once a negative energy took over and it basically became a pissing contest of who was sorry, squeaky clean, did nothing, did something and got extremely nasty. The last thing I think on some viewers minds was 'how to use the technique' but more of a who was going to have a go at someone next.

I'm off to focus my energies else where. This argument will continue to go around in circles.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-23, 3:38am
boro color bender

Shelly, I am not a member of the copy police or a country club. I generally stay out of the copy threads. I am however big on respecting each others work. That is why I stepped up and said something here. Sure, a few of us went round and round... but that's bound to happen from time to time, when emotions get involved. Let's face it, we weren't discussing the weather.

Like you, I'd rather focus my energies on something good. I started a challenge that is really a challenge. I hope folks who want to try something new will come join that and try to figure out a way to win... the SA crew could get super creative, have fun and maybe walk away with some great glass and cash... if you're up for it, I do hope you'll join in.

Old 2008-06-23, 3:56am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Default please read before commenting....

Quote:
Nobody said people couldn't try it... nobody! It's the working it out in public view, when the tutorial is being written by the artist already that was pointed out as disrespectful.
Brent, darling if you remember when the thread was started after many people had chimed in about it, and already gotten info from Anouk about where she got her coper mesh from (though she had stated to try and take a class from Sherry) It wasn't until the 3rd page that sherry stated she was writing a tutorial but gave no specific date....
Quote:
For those who are still having difficulty with this technique, I will be publishing a tutorial on it, with photographs. Just not sure of the publication date.....I'll keep you posted!
She didn't say say stop trying, she indicated she knew people were trying, and she knew people were having difficulty attempting. She didn't say she felt it was disrespectful.
In fact she was sweet enough to lend some advice before this all turned very snide.....
Quote:
Laurie, breaking the bead release is a hazard with these beads. Be as gentle as you can.I only use Bucket'o Mud now, because even if it breaks a bit the break doesn't 'travel'.
So for the people that were working it out in public they had already been doing that....I went back and reread the thread - it bothers me sometimes - we do fight like a family - but even families get their feelings hurt.

Quote:
I may have found the solution to all our problems... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naYVZ...eature=related
BTW you are certifiably crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyD View Post
I'm off to focus my energies else where. This argument will continue to go around in circles.
I also need to let you guys know I know Michelle and she is the most warm hearted spirit. She is very far away - and she does frequent a different forum (where I know her from) She doesn't come over here often b/c of things like what happened here. her comments about the "country club" I find true at times as in all communities we have our "clics" and when one of us is put off, others come to back them up, when not knowing the full details or not bothering to reread the particular thread and sit back and take a neutral view, before jumping in.

I am guilty of doing that.

:smooches: to you all.

So I pose a question to Sherry.....do you find it disrespectful that people were trying to work out the/your technique here?

Old 2008-06-23, 3:59am
boro color bender

I don't know if the people arguing that picking this apart is ok realize something about what was picked apart in this thread. Something like this tech doesn't come along very often. Maybe you thought this was just another bead... but it's not. It's unique in a way that I've not seen in my bead making career and that's why I stepped up. If you look at the other people who agreed with me, you'll see people who normally don't get involved. Why is that?

If you take me up on the challenge, I think you'll understand a bit more about my perspective. Maybe you'll understand why it's so rare and see my point... or maybe you'll come up with something new and I'll eat my words. Maybe I'll learn a lesson and I'll see that this is easier than I thought and shouldn't be respected. Here's a fun and creative way to get me to eat my hat... and I'd absolutely love to eat my hat and send you the prize... because that would mean the bead world has found something else that's new... that people got creative where it didn't hurt anybody else... and we all win when that happens!

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2008-06-23 at 4:02am.
Old 2008-06-23, 4:01am
Nature Coast

Give it a rest people!!!!

Old 2008-06-23, 4:09am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
Give it a rest people!!!!
Why, because you said so?
Just unsubscribe if you are tired of reading it...
I agree it is being drug out but who are you to tell people to just dismiss some they feel they need to discuss?

Old 2008-06-23, 4:43am
Rose colored glasses…√

I obviously can't speak for Sherry, but has anyone wondered if perhaps what Sherry's doing in this thread is making lemon-aid from lemons, and "grinning and bearing it"? What if she is hurt? Think about it...if you were in her shoes, would you share your hurt feelings, with the board at large, in a high traffic thread? I rather doubt it. I know I wouldn't.

I realize the thread is about a technique, but it also should be realized that it's about a very kind person, and that tends to bring out the "protective gene" in some of us. That's all.

An apparent clique, LE Country Clubber...and I didn't even know it.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-06-23, 4:50am
boro color bender

I'm still trying to figure something out that's very important to me... sorry if that bothers some people...

I want to know if we've evolved into the fashion industry... where the things we are working on have got to be kept under lock and key, until we're ready to do what we want with it...

If we're going to be rushed by the masses, maybe we need to have a bunch to sell and a tutorial written before we share it.

I've rather enjoyed how I've seen things done so far. I've seen artists come out with exciting things and everybody supported them and waited for them to release the tutorial. We got to see a lot of the development progress along the way...

If things have changed, I would like to know it has changed... and that's why I am still involved.

So, what's next? How do we move forward?

Old 2008-06-23, 5:17am
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaColligan View Post
I also need to let you guys know I know Michelle and she is the most warm hearted spirit. She is very far away - and she does frequent a different forum (where I know her from) She doesn't come over here often b/c of things like what happened here. her comments about the "country club" I find true at times as in all communities we have our "clics" and when one of us is put off, others come to back them up, when not knowing the full details or not bothering to reread the particular thread and sit back and take a neutral view, before jumping in.

I am guilty of doing that.

:smooches: to you all.

So I pose a question to Sherry.....do you find it disrespectful that people were trying to work out the/your technique here?
Thank you, that meant more than you could ever know.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-06-23, 5:35am
See my quote!!

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure something out that's very important to me... sorry if that bothers some people...

I want to know if we've evolved into the fashion industry... where the things we are working on have got to be kept under lock and key, until we're ready to do what we want with it...

If we're going to be rushed by the masses, maybe we need to have a bunch to sell and a tutorial written before we share it.

I've rather enjoyed how I've seen things done so far. I've seen artists come out with exciting things and everybody supported them and waited for them to release the tutorial. We got to see a lot of the development progress along the way...

If things have changed, I would like to know it has changed... and that's why I am still involved.

So, what's next? How do we move forward?
I am no fashion guru. I think I'm what Oprah calls a 'Slumpadink'. But my take on is it is that the Fashion Industry depends on setting trends. Not everyone can afford that exclusive item coming down the runway so somebody else caters for that. Maybe my thinking is naive but maybe by keeping designs under lock it key creates an 'expectation'. Everybody just cannot wait to see what's going to be the 'have to wear of the season.

back to the issue at hand.

I am guilty of wanting to know the technique and rushed into like a bull to a red flag. BUT, my intention was never to duplicate the 'Chaos' bead, it was a technique I wanted to use in my work. And the argument about how everyone went about this will go on and on........all I know is that I have learnt my lesson. And to be honest if I want a Sherry bead I'll darn well wait until I can afford one, the same goes for a Kimberley Sea Horse and an Andrea Heart to name a few. I am not going to go and buy someones cheap imitation of it. Whether I would ever be in a position to purchase one of those beads is a completely different story. But those are my ethics.

The moment those beads hit the internet - someone out there was working furiousley to duplicate it and in all honestly I don't think this thread would have been the original contributing factor to that.

Yes it is sad and it's unethical but it happens in all walks of life.

The thing is and this is just my opinion on it. You would need a consensus from every lampworker and I mean every lampworker not just ones found in various forums but each and every single one to come so some form of an agreement on copying, techniques, style etc. for it to be truly understood. And you will still get some person who will see something, see monetary value in it and will copy it verbatim.

It would just be nice if issues like this could be dealt with in a friendlier manner.

I'm off to melt glass and pack. Cause at this rate I doubt I will be ready for my move at the end of the week.

Old 2008-06-23, 6:05am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
The moment those beads hit the internet - someone out there was working furiousley to duplicate it and in all honestly I don't think this thread would have been the original contributing factor to that.
True, I agree with you but this thread does contribute to the duplicating an item thing. Weather it was intentional or not ( I don't believe it was intentional )but it still happened.

I think the only way you can move forward is to keep on creating new things, explore new techniques or develope different techniques using an exsisting technique.

For instance : the apple Iphone ( yes I want one, my life is not complete without one).
Many people think the same about it as I do, and whenever there is a great demand or a lot of money made people will copy the original. Some even take it to the extend of just reversing the apple, and therefor misleading their customers into believing they are purchasing a genuine Iphone ( then again...how can you think you are getting the real deal for 15 dollar but that's a complete different story).

Huge company's have complete legal departments to protect them against copying/using such and such techniques, they even have pattents pending on the screws beeing used to keep the whole phone together.

I believe that by following my own ethics and keep on trying to come up with something new I have a better life. I will off course never be a millionaire. As long as there is a demand for cheap knock offs, and lots of money made there will be people copying it.

I am a ferm believer in Karma... it will bite you in the ass one way or another.
Having said all this, I believe as long as we keep on pushing our own limits, and keep on exploring new stuff we will be just fine.

Old 2008-06-23, 6:36am
Passion for Glassion

Sherry,

On the other thread I have been soliciting for stories , about how your bead/technique design, evolved/developed... how many years and hours, what experieces led up to it,

how many before you were pleased with the outcome. I feel that it is important for us to understand the heart and soul of the bead and to not tread too closely....

Could you add this to your tutorial? Thank you Suz

Suz

"Things are beautiful if you love them. "
Quote by Jean Anouilh

Old 2008-06-23, 7:41am

I am getting tired of going the rounds with this in my head, and feeling like I did something wrong, all be it unintentional. I am extremly sorry that Sherrie was harmed in any way because of this thread. As a designated newbie in this forum, I have to wonder if there wasn't some way this whole post could have been deleted in order to protect her? Isn't this controversy just adding salt to her wounds? I think we all agree that we will be buying the tutorial when it comes out actually I would like to pay for it before hand just because I probably won't be coming back to LE very much, because I guess I don't really know how to participate in the right way. Sherrie I honestly never looked at your beads until this thread was very well under way. The question was does anyone know how Anouk did these? I have seen many threads where someone asks a question and everyone chimes in with the replies and some work towards figuring it out. Honestly It just felt good to participate. I have been very isolated in my studies. I have been doing lampwork for 5 years and try to spend every waking hour doing it. I push my self 8 plus hours a day trying to find my voice in glass. (I think it might happen when I am 80 and then I will move on to glass blowing.) I have avoided combing the internet over the years and joining forums so I wouldn't get jaded or depressed by other peoples work. I stumbled accros LE looking for bead racks, and found what seemed to be a great community and in my enthusiasum stepped on toes. For that I am VERY SORRY!!! I think I was happier sitting in my basement being oblivious to it all just melting glass.
Old 2008-06-23, 8:24am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswhimz View Post
I think we all agree that we will be buying the tutorial when it comes out actually I would like to pay for it before hand just because I probably won't be coming back to LE very much, because I guess I don't really know how to participate in the right way.
Sorry chicky-poo; no can do. I'm already processing your application. Are you fish, meat, or vegan for the annual bruhaha?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-06-23, 8:36am
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Fancy View Post
Sherry,

On the other thread I have been soliciting for stories , about how your bead/technique design, evolved/developed... how many years and hours, what experieces led up to it,

how many before you were pleased with the outcome. I feel that it is important for us to understand the heart and soul of the bead and to not tread too closely....

Could you add this to your tutorial? Thank you Suz
Absolutely, Suz!

Old 2008-06-23, 9:49am

I can't wait to buy your tutorial Sherry as well as getting into a class with you. Your post on your blog was very enlightening about how you feel on the subject that has been discussed. I am so glad I read it.
I suggest you guys check Sherry's blog for her opinion and the truth!