Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-03-24, 10:59am
Likes to melt stuff...

Default Venting Question

Here's my conundrum: The only way to vent out of my new studio space is through a non-opening window. I have an 8inch fan that ventilates at 140cfm.

I have contracted a glass company to replace the existing window with a
1/4" tempered pane with an 8" hole cut through to accomodate a duct which will go to my fan. However, on a recent trip to Home Depot, I saw a reducing duct that went from 8" to a hole of 4". That would reduce the size of the hole I would need cut into the glass, which also reduces my costs in labor and probably makes for a more stable pane of glass. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not that's a viable option?

To reitterate, there's no way through the walls -- the window is my only option.
Old 2009-03-24, 11:20am
I fart diamonds

Without more information (size/type of hood, etc.) it's hard to tell, but it really sounds a bit inadequate. And where is your makeup air coming from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-24, 11:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
Here's my conundrum: The only way to vent out of my new studio space is through a non-opening window. I have an 8inch fan that ventilates at 140cfm.

I have contracted a glass company to replace the existing window with a
1/4" tempered pane with an 8" hole cut through to accomodate a duct which will go to my fan. However, on a recent trip to Home Depot, I saw a reducing duct that went from 8" to a hole of 4". That would reduce the size of the hole I would need cut into the glass, which also reduces my costs in labor and probably makes for a more stable pane of glass. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not that's a viable option?

To reitterate, there's no way through the walls -- the window is my only option.
From Mike:
Quote:
140 CFM is nowhere near enough volume to ventilate any kind of torch.

A non-opening window isn't usually a problem, what I suggest would be to completely remove the glass, and replace it with treated plywood that has been painted to match the exterior of your house and sealed. This will allow you much more flexibility in your ventilation options.

Never use a reducer -- you only end up creating more problems.

Read my ventilation primer to give an idea of how to get started with ventilation ideas: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

First decide on how big of a hood or enclosure you want, then based on the size of that, you calculate how big of a fan you need.

Fresh air is a major consideration as well - it has to come from outside, at least 10 feet away from the end of the exhaust duct. You cannot use the air inside your house.

: LE2009
Old 2009-03-24, 11:46am
Likes to melt stuff...

Thanks for the input. I think I have found someone locally to help me out.
Old 2009-03-24, 6:51pm

Mike's primer is excellent, by the way. I've found it invaluable as I designed my ventilation system. I'd recommend reading it so that you can ensure that the contractor you found will be building something that will be sufficiently safe. In cruising the studio and safety parts of LE, it seems that most folks like a vent hood on the order of 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide and 20 - 24 inches above their work counter. Your preferences might be different, but that size hood works out to need a fan on the order of 750 cfm or so and works best into about a 7" or 8" duct. Shawnette's right, 4" ducting is too small for almost any configuration I've seen on LE and other forums. The static pressure alone of such a small duct dramatically reduces the effective cfm of most fans. Mike's primer will walk you through why.

Good luck!
Linda
Old 2009-03-25, 6:10am

Mike has written a paper on how to set the height of your hood above the torch: http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/20...torch-workers/

: LE2009