Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-08, 4:22pm
Flamewoman

Default Let's See your Serindipity!

Thanks Brent! I got my glass today!
I can't go out to the studio for awhile, as I had
knee surgery last thursday, not doing steps covered with
snow and ice for a bit. But when I can....
I would love some ideas on how to use this
interesting looking glass. I have 2 very FAT rods
that are double layered and 2 smaller rods that have a larger
white center. I like to do alot of implosions, and I
also love making heart pendants. I'm thinking this will be good
for both of these.
Post your pictures, and I will post mine when
I can get something made.
This is really motivating me to get better fast!
I also have some of the new dichro colors from
GA and I suck bigtime with dichro so that
will be a learning curve for sure!
Happy Holidays to All! I'm getting a puppy for Christmas!
No, really a puppy! A golden retriever, the best dogs in the world!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-12-09, 4:46am
boro color bender

Here are a few ways I've used it...

For hearts, I use some diamond shears to pull of a fat gather from the thicker rods. First i heat the tip and neck it down with the shears. This pulls the Amber Purple down over the end. You'll only see one tiny dot of white in the very center. Next, I heat the rod about an inch or so from the end and neck that down with the shears as well. Once it cools a bit, just wiggle the shears and it pops right off. I make a bunch of these little pieces and i'll anneal the really thick ones... then I put them on a hot plate to heat them up, before I use them. You don't have to preheat them, if you're willing to heat them up slowly... this just allows me to go right into the flame. I don't like heating them in the kiln, because the kiln dust gets on them... I get the tip of a clear rod hot and just touch to these little gathers. If you pick them up on an end, you only have one tiny white spot to cover with a dot of Amber Purple... if you pick it up in the middle, you have two dots... I burn off all the haze, do my clear pattern and rock out a heart... it really really speeds things up.

You can also lay clear lines down a longer piece and then neck it down and pop off the gathers. I do this if i just want clear stripes...

I've also used it for eyeball cane... nip off a chip and make an eyeball out of it... very pretty!

If you want to use it for an implosion, pull one of your smaller pieces you've popped off into thick stringer and draw your petals with it... very nice for flower implosions...

I've also used it as the core for a twisties... just ad a few stripes of other colors and clear... twist it up!

This cane has so many uses... I'll take some pics later and post what I've made from it... it's a shame making this cane takes so long... i wish I had the ability to get it flowing for you guys... it's really gonna catch on and be in short supply. I'm trying to get the production ironed out...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-12-09, 4:47am
boro color bender

Here are a few ways I've used it...

For hearts, I use some diamond shears to pull of a fat gather from the thicker rods. First i heat the tip and neck it down with the shears. This pulls the Amber Purple down over the end. You'll only see one tiny dot of white in the very center. Next, I heat the rod about an inch or so from the end and neck that down with the shears as well. Once it cools a bit, just wiggle the shears and it pops right off. I make a bunch of these little pieces and i'll anneal the really thick ones... then I put them on a hot plate to heat them up, before I use them. You don't have to preheat them, if you're willing to heat them up slowly... this just allows me to go right into the flame. I don't like heating them in the kiln, because the kiln dust gets on them... I get the tip of a clear rod hot and just touch to these little gathers. If you pick them up on an end, you only have one tiny white spot to cover with a dot of Amber Purple... if you pick it up in the middle, you have two dots... I burn off all the haze, do my clear pattern and rock out a heart... it really really speeds things up.

You can also lay clear lines down a longer piece and then neck it down and pop off the gathers. I do this if i just want clear stripes...

I've also used it for eyeball cane... nip off a chip and make an eyeball out of it... very pretty!

If you want to use it for an implosion, pull one of your smaller pieces you've popped off into thick stringer and draw your petals with it... very nice for flower implosions...

I've also used it as the core for a twisties... just ad a few stripes of other colors and clear... twist it up!

This cane has so many uses... I'll take some pics later and post what I've made from it... it's a shame making this cane takes so long... i wish I had the ability to get it flowing for you guys... it's really gonna catch on and be in short supply. I'm trying to get the production ironed out...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-12-09, 6:13am
Angie09

Hey Brent ... as a newbie to boro .... please, please show this in a video. I am terminology challenged and the only thing I've ever "necked" ...well, you don't want to know!

My gorgeous rod of Serendipity is still living in the dark of the tube container you sent it to me in. I know you are extremely busy so even a short, not great quality video on using this beautiful glass would be the Christmas present I would wish for ... please Santa let me make something wonderful for the holidays.
Old 2009-12-09, 6:25am
Pyromaniac

Angie,
I don't think you have to have shears to do what he is doing -- you can use tweezers to pull the AP coating over the white on the ends so the white doesn't show through. Do the same thing on the other end after you cut it with nippers. Then the AP is covering all the white.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-12-09, 9:10am
Creatrixie

So nice of you to take the time to tell folks how you're using this lovely new cane, Brent!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104