Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-12, 8:38am
Covered in glitter

Default Boro Sunburn

I have really fair, sensitive skin, damnit. I've had light sunburns before while using 104 so I'm pretty good about using sunscreen but lately...man, oh man. Since I've been doing boro, the day after I torch my face and neck are red, VERY itchy and feel burned. I slathered on SPF 70 before I torched yesterday and it still happened. Anyone have any hints for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-12, 9:35am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Get a bench shield instead of glasses - I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine - don't have to worry about popping glass hitting my facec or neck either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-12, 9:40am

My husband made a shield. It hangs down from my hood.

. It has ACE 202 glass in it - a 6x6 inch piece, but it could just be regular glass or whatever clear plastic you wanted.

It's great for keeping off the heat and popping glass. (I use shade 5 clip-ons when I use boro)
Old 2009-11-12, 10:51am
Covered in glitter

Is the shield really big enough to protect your face, neck and upper chest? I wore a high necked top yesterday and still got my upper chest burned. Maybe I can figure out a bigger one that I can still work behind.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-12, 11:59am
Powers Art Studio

I use a blast shield from http://www.theblastshield.com/ It works great and attaches to the torch. Mine is 4x6 and blocks all the heat to face, neck and chest.

Old 2009-11-12, 12:13pm
Covered in glitter

Oh, I think I need a blast shield! That sounds like it would be perfect. Thanks for the link.

Old 2009-11-12, 1:01pm
product of the universe

I get such a tan from boro people think i just got back from vacation.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-12, 1:18pm
Karen James

If someone wouldn't mind clarifying for me...The Blast Shield is used along with eye protect. Is that correct? I'm asking because I wear prescription eye glasses and when I am at the torch, I put in contacts so I can use my Auralens glasses. I would love something that I could use as eye protection and wear my prescription glasses.

If I should have asked this elsewhere, let me know...

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG

Last edited by KJJames; 2009-11-12 at 1:21pm. Reason: addition
Old 2009-11-12, 2:07pm

Deb, I keep mine at a height that blocks everything coming back from the torch. The only place I have issued now are hands and forearms.

Karen, you can get a blastshield with two slots. One for heat protection and the other for regular flare protection
Old 2009-11-12, 2:12pm
Karen James

Thanks Lynda!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-12, 3:21pm
Borovangelist

You might want to double check your ventilation too. While it won't pull all of it away, it should help direct some of the heat away from you and the torch.

|
|
Old 2009-11-12, 7:55pm

I love my blast shield. No more sunburn.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-11-12, 8:20pm

when i first started I got fryed to the point where I thought this craft was a done deal.
I think I was crowding the plate as they say. I learn to work from further away and invested in a blast shield.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.