Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-05-04, 12:27pm
Floral Obsessed

Default Heather's off-mandrel star technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2 View Post
I am such a loser, I need visuals. Can anybody show this step by step, or on a video? I would so love that. CC2
Okay, here's my best Paint-style tutorial!

Step one:

Make a big gather. Make it in one colour, many colours, fritted - it's up to you. Then, squish it into a lollipop. I like to use lentil-style mashers but flat works too.

Step two:

Cut the gather into five "petals" using steel scissors. I usually start with the centred cut at the tip of the lollipop, then do the two cuts on either side of the glass handle, then the final two between those. If you don't get perfect fifths, don't worry - you can pull off excess glass in later steps.

Step three:

Use a small paddle or, for faster results, a star masher, to shape the "petals" into rough points. Also shape the fins on either side of the glass handle.

Step four:

Punty onto one of the two points furthest from the handle. Go ahead and do a hot seal, since this join needs to be pretty secure!

Step five:

Make a loop by heating, stretching and looping the glass from the tip of the original handle-rod around to the back of the top star point. Once you've tacked the lop onto the back, flame-cut the connection point and free the original handle. (From this step on it will be used as a cold-seal punty to pull out the star points)

Step six:

(This image is a side view) Melt in the loop "tail" left from the handle and ream out the loop hole until it is a good size. Remember that the loop should stay *behind* the point, not at the top (if you want it to be "invisible".)
Now, heat the *front* of the looped point deeply and evenly. Warm the tip of your point-pulling punty slightly, then blow on the tip and barely touch it to the point just below the tip, on the front. Pull this out to a point and curve it slightly like a pinwheel. Blow on the connection point - if your cold seal was successful, it should just wiggle off. If necessary, you can nip it off, or as a last resort, flame-cut it off. Don't struggle with it or you can lose your current handle punty!

Step seven:

Pull and curve the other three points that don't have a punty. You can attach your cold-seal right at the tip of these ones because you don't have a loop to hide. This is the stage at which you would pull off excess glass if you have one or two extra-big points.

Step eight:

Flash your entire star in the flame to even out the heat. Warm a hook-shaped dental pick in the flame and insert it into the loop. Heat the connection point of the punty and try to stretch it out and curve the tip in one step. If this doesn't work you can remove the dental pick, attach another punty very delicately and fix your final tip, then re-insert the dental pick and release the final punty). Now get your finished star into the kiln, fast! You'll probably lose lots of them to cracking in the beginning, if you're working in soft glass (I know I did)! Good luck!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2008-05-04 at 12:39pm.
Old 2008-05-04, 3:02pm

Wow! Thanks for the incredible tutorial! I can't wait to try it.

Lisa
Old 2008-05-06, 5:14am

Heather great tutorial!
Old 2008-05-06, 9:54am
Glass-aholic

heather you make my all time favorite stars so I am glad that you have posted here!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-06, 9:55am
Glass-aholic

especially the one in your avatar!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-06, 11:23am

Heather it is really nice of you to share your technique. Thanks. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-06, 3:08pm
Floral Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
especially the one in your avatar!!!
Thanks for the comments everyone - appreciation makes it worthwhile to spend the time making tutorials! I'd love to see photos of results if anyone tries this!

Jaci - my avatar star was actually made on-mandrel, which I find harder in a lot of ways! The hole goes through the two horizintal "arms". But the colour combo is cobalt, silver leaf and rubino.

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2008-05-06 at 3:12pm.
Old 2008-05-07, 9:01am

Hello everyone, love the tutorial! I am a newbie and I was wondering about the term 'cold seal' Iam guessing you don't heat up the punty to attach it. Would I be correct?
Teresa from Hansville
Old 2008-05-07, 9:48am
Floral Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerrill View Post
Hello everyone, love the tutorial! I am a newbie and I was wondering about the term 'cold seal' Iam guessing you don't heat up the punty to attach it. Would I be correct?
Teresa from Hansville
It's a term I learned here on LE from Cosmo and Smiley, I think... You're definitely on the right track with your guess, except that you do have to heat up the punty a *tiny* bit. Then blow on it to cool it down. The bit you want to attach it to for stretching out (or as a *very* temporary handle) should be soft-hot but not glowing-hot. Touch them gently until you see them press together, then pull back a touch. If your timing is right, you should be able to gently snap off the punty once the other side cools down, or after blowing on the seal. It's very handy for all kinds of things!

Old 2008-05-07, 3:36pm

Thank-you Heather-I'll give this a whirl!
Teresa from Hansville
Old 2012-02-08, 11:49pm

omg this thread is old but awesome!

Old 2012-02-09, 7:11am

This is awesome, thank you so much for the photos, I would never have gotten it otherwise. Trying this for sure!

Old 2012-02-09, 7:46am
Formerly FishBulb

Hey, what a cool tutorial! Thank you so much (if you're still here!)

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-02-09, 10:10am

How did I miss the original post? This is wonderful -- thank you for sharing!
Old 2012-02-09, 10:34am
...displaced ocean lover

Lori, I'm glad you found and bumped this old thread. I don't see some of the photos tho...
also couldn't access the tut but I may need to join to do that.???

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-05-21, 5:45am

I do them just like Jodie - the only recommendation to newbies trying that technique is not to cut too far into the center. Cutting too far in and then melting back out doesn't work out so hot. Also if you want free-form sculpture I'd cold seal the bottom first. When I do them I also coat a clear gather in color to save money because I'm dirt poor, but this also gives a cool effect to the finished product depending on my method of coating...

I have recently been putting them on bottle stoppers, so I leave a tail coming out of the bottom so that the glue holds. If not that'd be where the cold seal would go, and hopefully wouldn't get melted off partway through! Good luck

Old 2013-06-16, 4:47pm

I just noticed this thread and earlier today saw a killer video of Stephanie Sersich demonstrating her starfish during a class at Corning. It is in the second half of the video, http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/34216237
PLease forgive me if someone else posted this, I can't read this whole thread on my phone! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2015-09-10, 9:52pm
I fart diamonds

Bump

Old 2015-09-12, 7:37pm
Phill

Thanks Shawnette.

Yet another good find!