Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-05-31, 6:39am

Default Goddess beads

Hello all,
I'm new to Lampwork etc and I'm upgrading my HH to ?. I'm torn between the nortel Minor Bench Burner and the Carlisle Mini CC Bench Burner.

One of the main reasons I want to move up in torches is to be able to do goddess beads. Which of these two would be the best to use for beads like these or can they even do them?

Thanks in advance
Iwannabead
Old 2009-05-31, 9:11am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I have both the minor and the mini cc, and they are about the same. I think I am favoring the mini cc though.

I am curious what others think?????

I recently got a bigger bench burner, the Bobcat. OMG, it is great, especially for more sculptural work and it does a much better job with Boro. I guess it just depends how big you want to go.

I suggest starting with the CC and if your work gets bigger than 3 inches, or you have trouble with thermal shocking, just graduate to something bigger. It's easy to sell your equipment here on LE if you want insta cash for the upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-31, 9:45am
Goddess

I prefer the Mini CC because it has a wider flame which is nice for sculptural beads. That said, you can make sculptural beads with either of these torches but the minor has a narrower, more pin point flame which I don't really care for. I also prefer the overall design of the Mini, I like that it is made of brass, that the head is movable and especially that you can get a nice torch top marver which is also adjustable. I would be lost without that marver!

Old 2009-05-31, 9:47am

Thank you for responding. I can't wait to order my torch.

Iwannabead
Old 2009-05-31, 5:02pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Well said Teresa. Yes, the CC is more adjustable and the marving pad is really nice too. It can adapt to any angle an artist wants.

Old 2009-05-31, 5:15pm
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

how about a cricket? i love mine

Old 2009-05-31, 5:42pm

Goddess beads can be made on all of the torches mentioned, including the HH.
Old 2009-06-01, 4:42am

Smile Goddess beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildoodmunky View Post
Goddess beads can be made on all of the torches mentioned, including the HH.

With the names I've called my HH, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to sculpt a Goddess on it. That just might cause a major disturbance in the force.

Iwannabead
Old 2009-06-14, 10:11pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

OK, I'm LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannabead View Post
With the names I've called my HH, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to sculpt a Goddess on it. That just might cause a major disturbance in the force.

Iwannabead

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-06-15, 7:07pm
Glassy Broad :-)

LOL!!! I make my goddess's all on my HH. I love this old timey torch beyond words.
That being said, I'd love to have a dual fuel torch, but it's just not in the cards for me for a while....I'll show you mine if you show me yours, LMAO!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-16, 8:03am
burnin' glass just becuz

i made all my goddess, sculptural beads and focals on the HH for over 2yrs - some over 3". Still have my HH, still love it and still use it for certain effects.

i now work on a Mega Minor which has a really nice soft flame that works great for big sculptural beads as well. I can work really fast but the flame isn't so intense that it overmelts fine details. One thing i'm still learning to adapt to though is it doesn't have the huge, wide flame (and resulting radiant heat) as the HH so if i forget to keep my ends warm i occasionnally end up with cracking...

i recently stopped by Nortel and tried the Mega on tanked oxy - WOW was there a difference! the flame almost doubled in width and the Moretti clear i was testing practically dripped off the mandrel but with no scumming at all. I currently use the Mega with one 5lpm concentrator but i think i'll upgrade to a concentrator with higher oxy output later this year so i can have a wider flame and more heat.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-06-16, 12:39pm

Your goddess's are just beautiful. I was never able to get much out of my HH but I could make huge beads on it. Not sure why I was so successful at that part of it.

If I ever get a goddess made, I'll post it.

Iwannabead
Old 2009-06-19, 3:16pm

Question should I keep my minor or sell it to buy some more glass????

Hi I am kind of a newbie here. I have a cricket that I love and just got a used red max (needed firepower for boro). My question is for all you more experienced people, Should I sell my nortel minor torch. which I don't use very often and buy some glass, or keep it for now? Is there anything it can do better than my cricket? I told you I am new at this hence the stupid question. All advice is welcome.