LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2005-06-29, 7:53pm
boro color bender

Great job everybody! I did two soft glass ones today. It's a bit weird working with that stuff, but I kind of like it too. I'll post pics when I get them. I'm so stoked that everyone is trying these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-06-30, 8:28am

Ok I know I'm a total newbie but I don't understand the cutting the glass bit. If you cut your pancake in half won't half of it fall onto your table?

D
Old 2005-06-30, 8:39am
boro color bender

You don't cut it all the way in half... just towards the rod.

But you are correct, if you cut it all the way in half, half would fall on the table... or maybe your lap!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-06-30, 10:09am

Oh I get it now! Duh! LOL

D
Old 2005-07-02, 1:16pm
Fire Borne

Here's my first Mr. Smiley heart. Not too bad for a firsty! Thanks Brent! You can tell my loop is sloppy but I'll keep practicing. Love off-mandrel work!

pat
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-02, 1:47pm
Pete

I had trouble with the cutting part too but dammit... I have to figure this out!

Just kidding!

This is one of thousasnds that I've made over the past several years.

Pete
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-04, 10:19am
boro color bender

I love the designs in your hearts Pete... I just prefer the shape of the hearts when you cut it. I used to just make a small dent like you do, but have evolved the shape a bit and am really liking it. It does distort the internal design a bit more. Maybe that's why I am doing less implosions and such for the design. Great pink by the way! Very nice!!!

Old 2005-07-06, 5:56am
boro color bender

Getting the new house with the teaching studio (3 car detached garage) is looking pretty good. I'll let you know when we get it set up. Right now, my life feels like I'm stuffing 3 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag and doing it on a shoe string budget- LOL

If I can help with any questions until then, just email or PM.

I met Orr throught all of that too and became friends with him. Very cool indeed!

Old 2005-07-11, 4:20am
Your Royal Fritness

Good Morning,

I thought my "Brent Heart" belonged on this thread. I only cut half way down and I have to work on my loops. Thanks for the Tip's and How too's Brent.

TTFN, Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-11, 4:47am
boro color bender

Great Job!

Old 2005-07-11, 10:57pm
Princess of Sparkle!!!

Brent, Thank you so much for this tutorial, I have had a blast making these the past few days. I am only allowed to torch for like 15 minutes before taking a break, so these are perfect for me. Mine are small, the biggest one is 17 mm x 37 mm and that includes the loop.

~
~
~
Old 2005-07-12, 9:35am
CA Queen Bitch

Great job Kari!!!
I am getting mine the old fashioned way, I am buying them from Brent. LOL! I am way to lazy to try this.
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-12, 9:55am
Princess of Sparkle!!!

Thanks Suzy, they are so much fun to make. I think they are a little bit addicting. LOL!

~
~
~
Old 2005-07-12, 12:38pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Here are my first piddly attempts. I was going from memory without having read the tutorial recently so I was puntying up in all the wrong places and heating all the wrong spots! It was really a hoot re-reading the tutorial.....I had the "A HAH!" moment x 3 so I'll be giving it another go tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-12, 12:48pm
Fire Borne

Look at all the LOVE!!!!! These hearts are all so cool! I was torching this morning and was going to make one or two morning but dang! I didn't have my scissors!

pat
Old 2005-07-12, 12:52pm
Princess of Sparkle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers
Here are my first piddly attempts. I was going from memory without having read the tutorial recently so I was puntying up in all the wrong places and heating all the wrong spots! It was really a hoot re-reading the tutorial.....I had the "A HAH!" moment x 3 so I'll be giving it another go tomorrow
They look great! What did you do wrong? LOL!

~
~
~
Old 2005-07-12, 1:21pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toozygoot
Look at all the LOVE!!!!! These hearts are all so cool! I was torching this morning and was going to make one or two morning but dang! I didn't have my scissors!

pat
Pat, you watched me make one with out cutting it. You can use just about any sharp edge to push down the dimple.

Old 2005-07-12, 4:22pm
Brandie

Pssst! I have some borro here...was going to garage sale it...still might, w/ most of it....but first maybe I should try your heart
Can you send me the tutorial and any tips you might have? I have sampler pack and a bunch of clear.

Brandie

150/144/120
Old 2005-07-13, 3:04pm
Certified Glassaholic!

My second attempt. Much happier with these! Just gotta keep working on the loops

Thanks Brent!
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-14, 11:02am

Question,
You can take a sterling silver twisted loop and embed the wire into the heart? That I will try. I did one again this morning in Moretti and think I have it. Will post it tomorrow Thanks
Old 2005-07-14, 7:12pm
Fire Borne

Thanks for the reminder Brent! I tried again with scissors yesterday and maybe it was impatience but I couldn't cut thru and then I got frustrated and the result was NOT pretty!

Jeepers Yeepers! Those look like little hiney hearts! Cute shaping! And the loop is a practice, practice, practice thing isn't it?!?!!!!

OK! Will try again tomorrow!

pat
Old 2005-07-15, 5:50am
boro color bender

The loop is definitely a practice thing... You'll get it!

UPDATE: I have finally PM'ed all the requests for the tutorials back to you. Man, what a great bunch of people wanting to make hearts! I love it! Have fun and post your pics here!!!!

Old 2005-07-15, 10:35am

Default smiley heart tutorial

Hi Brent, I would like to read your tutorial. So sad that we have to worry about the other stuff. YOu make great hearts and I would aspire just to understand the process at this point. I had written some questions to the CA about how do you make hollow hearts. I had gotten one from Corri and it is beautiful. Thanks
Vanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Sorry folks... this is gonna be gone until the sharks stop circling the site. I just saw another importer posting... I won't give instructions to them... PM me if you haven't seen it and I'd be happy to share. Sorry to have to do this... once bitten, twice shy!
Old 2005-07-18, 1:30am

thanks Brent-got the tutorial... I want to try..!!!!!
vanity
Old 2005-07-19, 8:10am

Brent thanks so much for PMing me the tutorial. Sadly I think my poor little heart beadies need some help !

Old 2005-07-19, 12:06pm
boro color bender

Hey Dawn.. they look great! Try taking a little more time and lower the heat. Let gravity form the heart, not the flame. The flame is just to soften it enough for gravity to slowly do the job. Take your time.

Old 2005-07-20, 7:34am

I snagged the tutorial early. Glad that I acted quickly! Thanks soooo much, these are a blast to make.
This is my first one
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-24, 6:19am
boro color bender

The tutorial is back up... It's more work PMing it to everybody than it's worth... plus I wasn't at all discriminating who I sent it to, so what's the point- LOL

Enjoy and keep posting your beauties!

Old 2005-08-11, 7:21am
Professional Bead Pimp

Brent,

Biggest problem I'm having is that I can't get the shoulders 'puffy' enough. Below is heart # 4. It looked kind of cactus-like in color, so I added the dots LOL

Bill
Attached Images

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-12, 6:35am
boro color bender

Bill... it looks like you aren't tipping it punty side down when you are shaping the lobes. Try about a 45 degree angle and let the glass ball up. I shape one lobe at a time... it's kind of an elyptical pattern instead of a straight centered rotation, to keep one lobe in the fire at a time. Keep playing around with it... you'll get it! This excersize will teach you a lot about how to get the glass to flow where you want it to. Put on some good tunes... it helps me get in the mood. Be the glass!- LOL