LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-19, 8:41am

Obviously you didn't check out those threads.
Old 2009-10-19, 8:44am

yes but one big difference is
Those people do not post exclusively to one thread this is his only interest.
Old 2009-10-19, 8:48am

That's not true. Folly has posted in several other threads. Click on their name and view their posts, and you'll see that you are incorrect.
Old 2009-10-19, 8:50am

Here's a quote from the Devardi glass website: "We strive with great care to alter our pictures to match the glass color exactly. We use three computer monitors to do this, since each monitor is different, and we use powerful software."

Yellowbird, I think some of your comments were well beyond negative. That's why people jumped you. I would have too, but others said it perfectly.
Old 2009-10-19, 8:52am

LOL...I have backspaced sooo many times replying this morning.

I like the fact that they did state that they altered the pictures. Of course, I chose not to read everything, and didn't notice the repeated photos, but that's my error if it's stated.
Old 2009-10-19, 8:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

As I demonstrated this morning - we are all just human.

Sorry I was unkind myself. This is a neat blog and I really like that people talk freely.
Old 2009-10-19, 9:01am

six post humm lets think about that .
Looks like you joined just in time to get snarky with anyone who disagrees with him.
Old 2009-10-19, 9:22am

Yellowbird-

Do you see conspiracies often, or just about this glass?
Old 2009-10-19, 9:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
six post humm lets think about that .
Looks like you joined just in time to get snarky with anyone who disagrees with him.
"Him" is a her... I'm Kristina, and I was the one who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and was rude to Amazon/Karen about being "for real" in her fears. It was not nice of me and I'm sorry.

Did you real my apology? I hope that counts for something.
Old 2009-10-19, 9:43am

Folly, Yellowbird is suggesting that there is a connection between you and Firemagic, since Firemagic has only posted in the Devardi thread.

The conspiracy seems to have grown, you see? Not just you and Devardi having an unholy relationship, now we're adding in Firemagic!

Old 2009-10-19, 10:13am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Folly, Yellowbird is suggesting that there is a connection between you and Firemagic, since Firemagic has only posted in the Devardi thread.

The conspiracy seems to have grown, you see? Not just you and Devardi having an unholy relationship, now we're adding in Firemagic!

Oh. I guess I'm slow - I didn't get it.

But what's there to HAVE a conspiracy about? Either you like the glass or you don't. If you don't then don't order it again.

I have to say that I am not sorry for defending them. They are truly sweet people who are trying hard to start a new business selling glass for a great price. And they have been getting hammered with ugly attacks... which I just don't get...

If one of us was working our guts out trying to launch a new business, and getting all kinds of ugly press I would hope people would step up and say something.

So that's why I got my back up and defended them. But I am sorry I wasn't nice as I did.

I just can't figure out what's the problem with glass that sells way below the standard cost?
Old 2009-10-19, 10:26am

That's just too simple for some people, Folly. They have to make up convoluted reasons for things rather than just accept the simplest solution-ie, you like the glass, and want to be able to continue to use it. Which means you defend it, because if no one buys it, then soon enough there won't be any more available to us.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:54am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default "if no one buys it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
That's just too simple for some people, Folly. They have to make up convoluted reasons for things rather than just accept the simplest solution-ie, you like the glass, and want to be able to continue to use it. Which means you defend it, because if no one buys it, then soon enough there won't be any more available to us.
That's so true - the losers will be those of us who want to use it if we don't speak up. The people who just keep dogging it won't be sorry for one minute if they put this small Mom & Pop operation out of business with their mean comments.

Think of how many businesses aren't making it these days... it's scary... and imagine how you would feel if you had sunk your savings into starting an inexpensive glass business... we should be thankful for a cheaper glass, it allows us to do our work at a price we can manage in hard times.

I say let's be open and truthful about any problems this glass may bring and help each other with solutions, and let's be thankful for the low price and huge color selection!

People who are trying to kill this business aren't solving any problems, they are hurting us and the owners.

Am I out to lunch or is this a realistic view?

Old 2009-10-19, 10:55am
Semi Retired

I hope we don't kill this thread with unfounded accusations again. I used all brands and COE of soft glass. There are many favorite I use from each.

My Devardi favorites are salmon, sop peach, lime green, black, metallic black, white, brown, and the orange/amber filigrana. The black and white are inexpensive and great for making murrini.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|

|

Last edited by dichromary; 2009-10-19 at 11:51am. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-10-19, 11:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default "Metallic Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
I hope we don't kill this thread with unfounded accusations again. I used all brands and COE of soft glass. There are many favorite I use from each.

My Divardi favorites are salmon, sop peach, lime green, black, metallic black, white, brown, and the orange/amber filigrana. The black and white are inexpensive and great for making murrini.

Do you know, will the Metallic Black turn silver on a Hothead torch?
Old 2009-10-19, 11:57am

Well there have been people with dual ids and it does seem rather strange to me that someone is there to support you with only this thread as a interest ?
I do think it is rather strange.

As for me wanting to do away with a mom and pop business come on please let me get the hankies.
Old 2009-10-19, 12:17pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Well there have been people with dual ids and it does seem rather strange to me that someone is there to support you with only this thread as a interest ?

As for me wanting to do away with a mom and pop business come on please let me get the hankies.

You do what pleases you - I choose to be kind and to applaud people trying to make a go of it while benefiting others.
Old 2009-10-19, 12:24pm

Back to the glass. Their next shipment is scheduled for Oct 28. I really look forward to getting more cranberry for Christmas beads and lots of the butterscotch for the organic stuff. I want to try the denim and trans yellow. Has anyone used the smoke?
Old 2009-10-19, 1:16pm
Semi Retired

Hi Folly, Don't know if it does but if you pm me your addy, I will be happy to send you a piece to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-10-19, 1:40pm

I would love to try the cranberry! The dark rose pink transparent is an absolutely stunning pink I might add. I will most definitely continue to learn to work with this glass as I love some of the colors. I read the whole thread and then decided to try it myself lol! I am glad that I did. And yes, some of it turns to frit but since I make my own frit it doesn't bother me much lol! Here is a picture of the marine green which is just a seriously nice color! And thank you for the compliment on my skills lol! I am so addicted its not even funny. Its been about 8 weeks since I made my first bead. Anyway this is the marine green.

Old 2009-10-19, 2:12pm

Quote:
I just saw a new Devardi video on utube using the new Metallic Black. It is different from the first shipment. You do not have to use high oxygen to get the silver and it works with a Hothead.

I have also seen some samples of the new Dichroic glass. I was also told they will be stocking dichroic frit also. These are at very reasonable prices.

Like you, I love this glass. The pics. are showing some beautiful colors.

Jim
Old 2009-10-19, 2:23pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Hi Folly, Don't know if it does but if you pm me your addy, I will be happy to send you a piece to test.
Can you tell me how to PM? Sorry I'm such a Ninny!

And I just found that they have a video on the Metallic Black! It's at:

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#play/uploads
Old 2009-10-19, 4:18pm
Semi Retired

click on my LE name and select private mail. Or email me mj@jewelmagic.com Although my glass is from the last batch; so it may not work the same.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-10-19, 6:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
click on my LE name and select private mail.
W-O-W, I just looked at your website! REALLY nice work!
Old 2009-10-19, 6:30pm
Does that shed?

This is divardi luster frit and the burnt orange colour. Love it.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-10-20, 9:10am
Semi Retired

Gorgeous wire work. I see lots of sparks in the bead. Thank you for showing.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-10-22, 4:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzie View Post
This is divardi luster frit and the burnt orange colour. Love it.
WOW - what gorgeous work, and you hit it on the head with that combination of wire and glass colors!

Thank you for posting it!
Old 2009-10-22, 4:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Frit Questions

Does anyone have any tips on using the Devardi Frit?

I just ordered a variety and would like to hear how others handle it and use it.
Old 2009-10-22, 5:35pm
Does that shed?

The only ones I've tried are the luster frits and they need to be encased in order for them to really sparkle. I don't know about the others.
And thank you for the compliments. I really like that combo.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-10-22, 8:11pm

Quote:
it *should* as it's a reduction effect. I've got some of the first batch (not here, unfortunately, it's down @ the studio or I'd offer to send you a rod--I left it there because I've been sharing!) It makes FANTASTIC SHARDS--they silver right up incredibly on a bigger torch with just a dash of reduction, so I'd say just "cover the holes" on your hothead (my method was the "tinfoil collar" trick when I worked on mine @ home) & you should get a fairly instant reaction. I had someone else blow shards for me 'cause I suck @ that--& they were quite pleased with the ease of melting the glass & how it blew-out--thought it would be nice for some small vessel work as well.

Quote:

Not really--I've supported both *this* glass *and* Lauscha glass, as well as other products (and other vendors ) and I certainly make no effort to hide "who I am". Heck, you can find out anything you want about me via RAOGK, my signature links, my facebook, etc. I'm all over the internet. As opposed to *some* posters in this thread who seem to constantly poke & prod, yet we STILL don't know WHO THEY ARE....hmmm...who could that be? Oh, wait, YOU don't have a signature, or sign your name, or have a website, or anything identifying you, do you "yellowbird"???

(and for the record? Kristina & Dale are NOT the vendors of Devardi--I've actually TALKED TO the Devardi vendors/shop owners on the phone....they're quite nice folks...nice to order from, & I actually understand how they're keeping their cost-to-us low. I think they're doing US a SERVICE--and we should be VERY THANKFUL that they're bringing us a chance to grab up low-cost pinks & premium colors the way they are--it's an interesting idea & I hope it works out for them!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
I would love to try the cranberry! The dark rose pink transparent is an absolutely stunning pink I might add. I will most definitely continue to learn to work with this glass as I love some of the colors. I read the whole thread and then decided to try it myself lol! I am glad that I did. And yes, some of it turns to frit but since I make my own frit it doesn't bother me much lol! Here is a picture of the marine green which is just a seriously nice color! And thank you for the compliment on my skills lol! I am so addicted its not even funny. Its been about 8 weeks since I made my first bead. Anyway this is the marine green.
Those beads look fantastic for EIGHT WEEKS!!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2009-10-22 at 8:14pm.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi