No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-06-17, 9:46pm
Tam

Default Where to vent? Help!

I am setting up studio in my utility room. It is entered through my kitchen and has a door to the garage. It also has a door to the outside on the opposite side I will be working. No windows. No walls to the outside to cut a hole in.

I can bring air in by opening the door, but I don't have a wall or window to vent out of.

Can I vent through my attic to the outside somehow? I don't mind cutting a hole in my roof if I have to. ( I know I can't vent into the attic)

Or

Vent through my garage....and if so how far could I actually run it and have it still work?

Or

Vent out the door that my fresh air would be coming in from...but that would be too close? Right???

AARRGGGHHH!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by firedwired; 2008-06-17 at 9:59pm.
Old 2008-06-18, 7:36am
Dichro Addict

I would vent through the attic and out the roof. That's what I'm doing. I had a roofer come in and cut the hole in the roof and install the roof cap. It's really nice because I was venting directly out a window and rain and wind were a real problem. Now, I can work in any weather! And no, you can't use the same door for fresh air and exhaust unless the openings are ten feet apart.

You could also duct out the door that goes directly outside and use the door to the garage for makeup air. You would have to also open the outside garage door a bit so you have fresh air coming in. Personally, I think it would be tough to vent out a door because it all has to be closed off so the exhaust doesn't come back in.

Also, I would not exhaust through the garage. It needs to go directly outside, and that would be really hard to do going through a door and all the way out the garage to the outside.

Last edited by lenora; 2008-06-18 at 7:42am.
Old 2008-06-18, 7:39am
Tam

Thanks! I was leaning towards the roof idea.

Old 2008-06-18, 8:37am
Tam

I saw where someone is venting to an existing gable....is this a safe option?

Old 2008-06-18, 8:42am
Tam

Nevermind! I just found a post by Mike saying it will mess up the airflow in the attic if I use an existing hole. I guess I will just have to make a new hole.

Just want to get it done, but safely! Thanks