Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-30, 9:58pm
Tamara Knight

Default Colors you don't use

Everyone has a list of the favorite colors but what about those rods you just never use.

What are the colors you just don't ever use?

I make beads and there are a few colors that just don't do anything for me. GA Grape looks cool in the rod when you hold it up to the light but other then rolling it in frit It just does not excite me. Some of the others are paris green, Phthalo green, kriptonite, and teal.
I been rolling them in frit to make encased beads - and use them up
not sure what else to do with them.
Old 2010-01-30, 10:18pm
one day at a time

OOPS I thought this was about soft glass, I'm sorry! But I will love to see the answers everyone comes up with!
Old 2010-01-31, 4:35am
Happy Beadmaker!

Cranberry (Ns? gA? can't recall), thought it sounded like one of MY colors, nope, can't do a thing with it, cased/uncased, nope! (How's that for a rambling sentence?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2010-01-31, 9:06am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Teal is really good for making an anemonie in a seafloor marble. Just stripe it with black and twist it as you put down a small circle to implode. For this one use it is my favorite color.

Old 2010-01-31, 9:08am

Colors that I don't plan to buy more of.....

NS - Aurora - Never works that great for me, and is brittle.
NS - Green Exotic - Love the color, but found that it is also brittle.
NS - Cranberry - can't get it to work.

GA - Ruby Blues - could never figure out how to anneal this stuff without having it strike into red, and I don't sell un-annealed glasswork.
GA - Cobalt 6 - too stiff for me, and couldn't keep it from greying on the back of a sphere.

Momka - Silver Tears - don't care for the color range
Momka - Yellow Pearl - don't care for the color

TAG - haven't found one yet.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-01-31, 9:25am
Borovangelist

I love kryptonite! It's one of my favorite greens.

I have bibidibobidiblue that I don't use often, it's kind of boily and I'm not always that patient...

Umm...auroa doesn't come out very often, silver tears, sex on the beach, purple cream soda, paris green 6, purple thunder (I'm kind of purple challenged )

|
|
Old 2010-01-31, 10:09am
Harold Williams Cooney

I maintain a list of 'evil' colors; materials that may or may not be good in the shop but are known to absolutely hate me none the less.

I will not put this list up on here because i fear opening a portal to hell - it has been a decent few weeks in the shop, I'm not looking to start anything with the powers the be.

But, I will say, number one on the list, the most hateish of all the haters:

Fucking NS Pumpkin.

I hate you too, Pumpkin. Me and you have business; old and unfinished. You will pay. You will pay.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-01-31, 12:02pm
ManBearPig

Blue Caramel is the first that comes to mind. I've never gotten anything out of that color.

Old 2010-01-31, 12:31pm

Solara comes readily to mind. Can't get color out of it.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2010-01-31, 12:48pm
just another glass addict

I'm really just in the beginning of exploring boro colors. I've learned quite a bit recently. Surface colors bubble and internal colors crack or don't strike. I don't really understand the point of blue caramel or those blizzard colors either. But I sure am having fun!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-01-31, 12:48pm
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I love kryptonite! It's one of my favorite greens.

I have bibidibobidiblue that I don't use often, it's kind of boily and I'm not always that patient...

Umm...auroa doesn't come out very often, silver tears, sex on the beach, purple cream soda, paris green 6, purple thunder (I'm kind of purple challenged )
Well Tom, I see what your problem is right there! Paris Green 6 isn't purple! No wonder you can't get it to work!
Old 2010-01-31, 1:39pm
Harold Williams Cooney

dude, a lot of colors in this thread are fantastic: paris green 6 and blue caramel (NS) are used a lot by me.

although, I do agree that ruby blues is stupid, even for an inanimate object.

Old 2010-01-31, 1:44pm
just another glass addict

Please clue me in on the blue caramel Harold. I like the texture and the rod color. It just always comes out all caramel in the end. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Polly

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-01-31, 2:19pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntD View Post
Well Tom, I see what your problem is right there! Paris Green 6 isn't purple! No wonder you can't get it to work!
Ha. Ha.

Oh, and I like paris green 6, I just don't use it very often, which I think was the question.

I've been pulling a lot of reds and oranges lately when I work; I'm absolutely in love with Elvis Orange.

|
|
Old 2010-01-31, 2:24pm

Spring luster. I tried, really. It hates me. Ruby blues. Wtf? Most of the 47gabillion differnet cobalts. The greens that like to go livery. Nasty stuff and I have a few different ones. China black when it checks and/or devits.

Old 2010-01-31, 3:41pm

Rebecca - Try Spring Luster over boro sticks Blush...yummy. It loves to be blown out.

I'm not a fan of Steel Wool...I only get pookie rocks out of it.

Old 2010-01-31, 4:43pm

Thanks Samma. I'll try it one more time with blush on a tube then but I think I'll trade you your steel wool for my spring luster.

Old 2010-01-31, 6:22pm
Tamara Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Blue Caramel is the first that comes to mind. I've never gotten anything out of that color.
NS Blue Caramel is a fav. of mine. I make a bead with it and put elvis red dots. Then work it ina reduction flame.
The part w/o the red will take on a mirror effect. This does not work for all colors on top of it - the red elvis works the best.
Old 2010-01-31, 8:49pm

I adore the picture of Plum Krazy on the Northstar color chart, with the wispy blues and purples, but when I use it (at least in rod form), it's just . . . meh.

However, I do love the combo Northstar suggests: Blue Caramel base + Plum Krazy frit + clear = gorgeous. Which is why I'm thinking of crushing all that stupid Plum Krazy rod I bought.

I wasn't really impressed when I first tried Yellow Pearl, but then I tried layering Yellow Elvis over it, and the combo really popped. (Bonus: if you roll it in Amazon Bronze frit, it kinda looks leopard-y.)
Old 2010-02-01, 11:04am

I now hate seconds. I loved the price but hate issues in working them. pay the extra for the good stuff.
Old 2010-02-01, 11:45am
Megan's personal Sherpa

I used to be hated by Momka's Plum Harvest and Caribbean Coral but two weeks ago they decided to give me a pardon and now I can get the most wonderful colors! Go figure, I didn't think I was doing anything that extraordinary when I worked it.........just giving it another try before tossing it because I could only get baby poop with it. Now I love to work with it!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-01, 6:11pm
Pyromaniac

Magic Mirror.
It does nothing for me and I want to love it because Deb ^^^^^got some fantastic pinks from it.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-02-01, 7:24pm

Hey Samma? Ummmm no. It still hates me. Bad.

Old 2010-02-01, 7:31pm

Tequila Sunrise is evil and hates me. True story. Yet I get suckered in time and again when I see what other people get with it. Hear me now Tequila Sunrise, your days are numbered in my shop....
Old 2010-02-01, 10:02pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

MAGIC MIRROR!?!?!?!?!?!? I LOOOOOOOVE MAGIC MIRROR! It was one of the first silver glass colors that I could get to do pretty things by accident! I hope I never find out how you're really supposed to work it because then all I'll get from it is baby poop but for now, it gets all peachy and pink as soon as I pull it into a stringer and then the shine just POPS right out when I'm applying it to my ponies!

However, Lana, if you want to give me the secret to Fucshia Fantasy.......bwahahahaha!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-01, 10:44pm
Piper.

skyline blue has been giving me headaches.
chinese mint.
peach.
don't know how to use ex. light yellow.
Old 2010-02-08, 7:43pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

boxcutter: ex light yellow is the best. Put it over any of the trans red and make a twistie/rod . Make a bead then encase. I get awesome fushcia.
Old 2010-02-09, 2:29pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Boxcutter:

what is Chinese mint? never heard of that. sounds great . . .

and i agree, sky line blows.

Old 2010-02-15, 11:00am
Type ZZZ personality

All of the crayon colors! I just can't work them cool enough to not boil.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-02-15, 1:33pm

You know what a great workshop this would make if we all could get together and bring 2 favs and two "pookies". We'd all learn so much!!!