No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-04, 7:10pm
Tamara Knight

Tips -
Tsp Striking red - encase this with a very thin layer of Med Amber - it will strike super easy and the amber will even out the red so it does not have streaks - nice base for flowers or decorating - great for making red heart pop

Anice white base - super thin lines of regular black - over heat in the torch- makes little veins and turns purple from the black. Does not work with Vet Black.

Gray - encase with tsp steel - 1 thickness gray and double or more thickness tsp steel - makes nice base for decorating as well as nice etched.

Acid Yellow encased in tsp cobalt makes great stringers for leaves - another trick is to put the acid in a steinart mold - add thin lines of black moretti in the creases, then encase with tsp cobalt - also for leaves and stems - the black will add more depth.

I guess maybe I don't have any Sodona - this one is not familiar to me
Otherwise I have not met a color - or a glass I did not like.

OK - I could do without exploding rods at 2AM

Last edited by TAKnight; 2010-02-04 at 7:15pm.
Old 2010-02-04, 9:04pm

I have not yet gotten any sedona....but...if it works & behaves at all like edp, I'm sure i'd adore it

and coral....sigh....i adore all the corals....(Nikki's right--they're strikers--you have to play with them a little to get them to behave, & not panic when they look "grey" the first go-round--just strike them, cool them, strike again & ta-da, gorgeous!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-02-05, 7:08am
Karen James

Nikki...Thank You! You gotta deal! If I cannot get it to work, it is yours!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-02-05, 11:15am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakeke View Post
Mary - I'd love to hear how to get good results from copper ruby frit - I've tried all sorts without success

Robyn
Hi Robyn!
Ya know...copper ruby by itself isn't all that much too look at, true. All it really is is a brownish red super dark. No big deal- but it is hyper reactive with silver and THAT is the magic.

Here are a couple of links to threads on LE that I was active in before about copper ruby frit. They answer your question better than I could do it here. Be sure to follow the links that are posted in these threads too. They lead to good places.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=peacock

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=peacock

there is some marvelous info here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ht=copper+ruby

~~Mary

Old 2010-02-05, 12:44pm

I bought some DH terra 2 or 2.1 and I absolutely hate it. I have not been able to strike it no matter what I do. It is the ugliest mud brown and I paid a lot for it.
Old 2010-02-05, 12:46pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohhhh- I'll give it a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingetraud View Post
I bought some DH terra 2 or 2.1 and I absolutely hate it. I have not been able to strike it no matter what I do. It is the ugliest mud brown and I paid a lot for it.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-02-05, 12:57pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingetraud View Post
Put a dash of Reich. Iris Amber Gold frit and rake it in. Does wonderful things for me!

Old 2010-02-05, 1:02pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcorgi View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to respond "OMG I LOVE Sedona!". Then I would invite you to come back the truck up. So far no luck.

- Becky in MN
I love Sedona! I love it so much I bought 5 pounds when it was on sale! The longer you work it the more brown you get. I haven't found the devit any worse than EDP and that doesn't really bother me if I blast it real good just before I put it in the kiln.

Old 2010-02-05, 2:39pm
into the fire

Sedona is gorgeous and EDP is not so evil IF you can get it to not blow up !
Old 2010-02-05, 11:27pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Frantz has Fish Pink in their Points Store - I think a quarter pound is only 175 points. Yep, I'm a Fish Pink lover too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBraid View Post
oh man, if any of you Fish Pink haters want to part with it, I'll take it! I really adored that color as an all time favorite! It made the best twisties with other translucent purples it was a great base for translucent purple dots as well.

Corals and yellows, yuck!

Striking red transparent made me nuts... I wanted the glossy candy-coated apple look and just could never quite get it....

Great thread! I saw lots of interesting and opposite opinions that make me really want to try some of those combos so I can agree with one camp or the other

Old 2010-02-06, 5:08pm

Default anise white tamed

I did a class with Jim Smircich. He made a beautiful bead, ( I bought it, $35) by making an Anise white stringer after pre warming it VERY slowly,( count to 100) then squiggling it onto a hollow black bead. Heat it to very hot and get wonderful browny purple edges to the white.
Great for organics. Until that time I thought Anise white was equivalent to burning dollars.

KMD
Old 2010-02-06, 5:56pm
Jamaican Me Crazy

yellow and red, but when I run low on glass I melt them too

Pete
Old 2010-02-07, 12:30pm

if you want candy apple glossy striking red, use lauscha--it's the best for striking red--works on a hothead too!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-02-07, 6:18pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I have not yet gotten any sedona....but...if it works & behaves at all like edp, I'm sure i'd adore it
Here's a set with the sedona, and I LOVE this color! It behaves quite well actually, and I don't understand why they say it devits like EDP. ???

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=39423805

This is just swirls on Effetre black, I didn't have to do anything special except take a little care like with EDP and try to not get it so hot it goes white and bubbles. The colors I got are a dusty rose, terracotta, and a little dusty lavender. Maybe you might wanna try sedona now??
Old 2010-02-07, 6:27pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakeke View Post
Mary - I'd love to hear how to get good results from copper ruby frit - I've tried all sorts without success

Robyn
Copper ruby - I discovered why it turns so dark, and almost black! Leaving it in the kiln too long. To keep the pretty rust/red color I do this:

Make only one or two beads at the very end of my session. Because if I make more than that, they will all end up being different colors because of the different lengths of time spent in the kiln. So, it might take me a week or two to make all these beads! A PITA, but worth it!

If you batch anneal, you can get them pretty much all the same color, and since most batch anneal cycles are short, the color will be fabulous!
Old 2010-02-07, 7:28pm
Sheila Davis Designs

American Beauty,Yuk!

Old 2010-02-07, 9:18pm
Formerly FishBulb

This is a great thread! What a lot of good tips for some of the unloved glasses. I'll have to try some of these ideas.

I love, love, love the colour of Moretti Uranium Yellow Opaque, but I have not been able to use it a single time without it shocking all over my bench. It doesn't matter how slow I melt it. Say the word "flame" too loudly and BOOM. UY frit all over the place. I'm afraid to use it.

I have some pink filigrana that devits where the core hits the outside of the bead. Blech.

I have some Blue Aventurine frit that makes black dots. No blue, no sparkle. Expensive for black frit.

There's some Vetrofond odd lot that has a yellowish outside and a green core, and it makes the most awful colour. I can't recall the name, but blech.

I'm glad I only have one rod of Pandora -- it won't kiln-strike for me either. I won't be buying any more of it.

Elektra is another one I can't get to do anything good. I have no trouble reducing and striking DH glasses, but Elektra just sits there looking blue.

I know it's not 104, but Dense White in 96 (Gaffer maybe?) devits all over the place. I hate it too. Ditto for Copper Ruby, although I'm going to try some of the tips here.

Otherwise I like everything else.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-02-07, 9:31pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love American Beauty, it works up like veiled Rubino for me.

Love Bordello too, it makes wonderful plunged floral petals over white or Opal Yellow.

I just got some Reichenbach Garnet, wow is that a gorgeous transparent ruby red.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-07, 10:29pm
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

I also don't like any of those stupid odd lot greens with the idiotic blue centers. They were all named stuff I thought would make great frogs like swamp moss or whatever...but they were useless. Basically, when I couldn't use them for what I wanted to use them for...I didn't have any motivation to find something else to do with them so they just sit. Rejected and alone.

~~Mary

I love the Lemongrass odd - it's a great base for faux boro.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-02-07, 11:07pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Angie - I think the Vetro Odd lot your talking about yellow on the outside and green in the core is called "relish". It's sort of a yellow ochre color. I'm not in love with it either. I don't like yellow ochre either, but I've seen some LE peeps do some pretty combos with those colors.

Ebay:
Old 2010-02-07, 11:34pm
I know, I can't spell

I find that I hardly ever use the blue and green colors. They are beautiful but for some reason if I can't have red orange and yellow I am not as happy.
If I could get a good picture of the weaving I did with red yellow and orange beads I would post it but it looks awful in pictures.

Yet I seem to own a huge ammount of blues and greens, just can't find a good pine green.

I actually thought I was going to cry when I wound up with a whole bunch of dusty Rose Coral and could not come up with a way to use it but if you use it with Strawberry Sweet and SIS then you have some incredible colors going on. in fact I used all my Strawberry Sweet up. Now I need a couple of pounds more. and of course more Dusty Rose.

I don't care to use the opalinos or alabasters mostly because I am too impatient.

Soon new stuff
Old 2010-02-08, 2:53am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Whoever wants to help me get rid of
- Petroleum green (Streak City of Hell)
One of my favorites. Looks almost like malachite, and is much more stable than malachite. Wanna sell?
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-02-08, 12:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinvermont View Post
I have the largest supply of dark blues, cobalt, I guess, in both opaque and translucent and a bunch of other darkish blues that are similar, and all this has been collecting dust, don't know why. Aalso my TAG glass has been just sitting around. I'm going to try the idea suggested above, make stringers of it and use with dark ivory or light ivory and see what happens.
All my Gaffer is just collecting dust, even the Chalcedony, as I can't get it to play nice with me at all.

Nancy
try taxco with over silvr foil with light aqua transparent with dark ivory as a base bead....yumm. Or the above over CIM Hades. Don't encase the bead just use it as decoration...some of my all time fav beads were these combos
Old 2010-02-08, 12:28pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maren View Post
One of my favorites. Looks almost like malachite, and is much more stable than malachite. Wanna sell?
Sorry Maren, it's already found a good home (in Iowa)!

Old 2010-02-08, 12:41pm
organically speaking

Pandora. Hate this glass.

Old 2010-02-08, 1:34pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Sorry Maren, it's already found a good home (in Iowa)!
I love petroleum green! I used it along time ago to make my turquoise swirl cane, and it was awesome!
Old 2010-02-08, 2:35pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Pandora. On Copper Green, gorgeous.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-08, 2:46pm
Jamaican Me Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post

There's some Vetrofond odd lot that has a yellowish outside and a green core, and it makes the most awful colour. I can't recall the name, but blech.

ditto I think I got some of that too

Pete
Old 2010-02-08, 2:49pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
*gasp* I love Effetre black, Vetrofond black was made in one of the circles of Hell as far as I'm concerned...
I SO agree with this!!!! When I was a newbie (not that long ago!), I bought a pound of Vetro black because AS was out of Effetre at the moment. I figured they were both black, both 104, how different could they be? Ummmm... right!! I hate the Vetro black, and would rather go without than use it again. And I use black A LOT!

Old 2010-02-08, 2:51pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
I SO agree with this!!!! When I was a newbie (not that long ago!), I bought a pound of Vetro black because AS was out of Effetre at the moment. I figured they were both black, both 104, how different could they be? Ummmm... right!! I hate the Vetro black, and would rather go without than use it again. And I use black A LOT!
I love Vetro black! I have to use it for one of my color swirl canes, because nothing else will give me that hue!

Vetrofond black + 104 white + 104 medium lapis blue = "Denim Blue" - Wow, you guys don't know what you're missing!

This cool shade of slate grey was made with Effetre white and Vetrofond black, blended in a color swirl cane. If I added just a touch of the lapis blue to the mix, I got the faded denim color.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=39423761

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-08 at 11:19pm.