Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-16, 4:45pm

Default How do you shape your pendants?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering how people like to shape their standard round boro pendants (implosions or whatever). Do you use a marble mold? Plain gravity? Something else? So far I've had trouble getting a nice even shape using just gravity, or it gets way to bulbous on the front, and when I use a marble mold I get a nice shape but I tend to flatten the design inside a bit. I think as far as finished shape goes what I've liked most so far is to use a 1.5" marble mold to make a sort of cabochon shape, just I use it on both the front AND the back so that they are both curved, instead of a flat back, but again I seem to flatten the design inside when I do this. Any suggestions, preferences, or just want to share your process?

Check out my Etsy shop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-16, 6:03pm

ok here is how i do my boro pendants- take clear rod or tube; frit, or implode or whatever in doing. use a glass rod as a punty to pull it off the tube; rod. then i work the face spinning in the flame at a 75 degree angle or so; rod angled down, pendant side up.Flame hitting the face- super hot till it runs into a rounded lense that has no distortion from being uneven. since i am holding it on a rod on the back, if it starts to sag down or bend i take my carbon paddle and hold the glass vertical on the stick and hold the paddle horizontal and spin the piece around lifting the edges up in the back. i dont push up with the paddle, just let spinning the piece with the edge on the paddle there do the work.
When I am teaching students, I don't let them use tools--only gravity.
They think I'm mean.
Old 2010-02-16, 6:08pm

if I want the back curved in, and sometimes this helps allow more light in to focus on the design, then i tilt the marver paddle a little while spinning.

Really the secret is heat and more heat--till it flows
Old 2010-02-16, 7:29pm
ManBearPig

Heat and gravity. No tools.

I'll expand on what constant flow said... the secret is knowing where to heat the pendant...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-17, 12:37am
Piper.

it really depends on the final shape. it's 99% heat, gravity and centrifugal force though.
i'll use a mold for my round floral pendis that are like 2/3rds marble.
Old 2010-02-17, 12:46am
He can do the origami

Heat and gravity

Otter
Old 2010-02-17, 4:34am

yep, heat and gravity.
Old 2010-02-17, 8:07am

Yeah, heat and gravity. There is way too much reliance on tools and presses out there. Tools shouldn't subsitute for a lack of skill. The only shaping tools I use are graphite paddles, tungsten pokes/rakes, and a marble mold for doing spheres.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-02-17, 8:18am

When i am first teaching someone they always end up with a bulb in the middle, and a valley between that and the edges. I always try to get them to heat what they want to move and the part they want it to move to. The hot glass will not roll onto cool glass. I hope that makes sence, it's so hard without pictures to explain.
Old 2010-02-17, 8:28am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant flow View Post
When i am first teaching someone they always end up with a bulb in the middle, and a valley between that and the edges. I always try to get them to heat what they want to move and the part they want it to move to. The hot glass will not roll onto cool glass. I hope that makes sence, it's so hard without pictures to explain.
Yeah. I always explain that by saying "glass follows the heat"...

Old 2010-02-17, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Yeah. I always explain that by saying "glass follows the heat"...
Thank you, thats a good way to put it
Old 2010-02-17, 2:56pm

i use heat and graphite marver. this way less heat, esp for dichro pendants.
when punti back and remove feed rod then i heat top and press lightly not exactly down but moving lightly down and at the same time moving graphite more back and forth across the top to even out any high spots (think of frosting a cake basically), I do it a few times if necessary ,reheating in between to heat what needs to move focusing above the center line of the lens, then final is heat only.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-02-17, 4:07pm
Tamara Knight

And if it is 2am and it is pissing you off - you grab the BBQ mashers and pliers - squish it heat it up - jab it - pull it - push it - put a loop in it somewhere
call it an organic shape and
charge double for it

If this does not work for you - then at 3am plunge it into glass of water and watch it explode - no loop needed

Last night did not go well - should have went to bed sooner.

LOL
Old 2010-02-17, 6:26pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKnight View Post
And if it is 2am and it is pissing you off - you grab the BBQ mashers and pliers - squish it heat it up - jab it - pull it - push it - put a loop in it somewhere
call it an organic shape and
charge double for it

If this does not work for you - then at 3am plunge it into glass of water and watch it explode - no loop needed

Last night did not go well - should have went to bed sooner.

LOL
LOLOL I think we are relatedmust a been twins separated at birth

Old 2010-02-17, 8:17pm
Borovangelist

occasionally I use scissors.

|
|
Old 2010-02-17, 8:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
occasionally I use scissors.
oops, me too, forgot to mention my shears.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-02-17, 9:48pm
Flamewoman

http://smartflix.com/store/video/806...orked-Pendants
Rent this, seeing is believing. You will see how it is done, this is a good video.
I have rented most of the lampwork videos they have. You will learn a lot, and it does not cost $40 or more to watch it once or twice.
Oh crap, I just saw that it is back ordered to rent. Well get on the list, or maybe someone can loan it to you, sometimes
I have seen this in the garage sale section.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2010-02-17 at 9:51pm.
Old 2010-02-17, 10:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
yep, heat and gravity.
And tongue position. You have to hold your tongue
correctly or the whole thing won't work.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-17, 10:37pm

Rofl! I do that when I'm working...

Check out my Etsy shop!

Old 2010-02-18, 3:48am

hahahaha....oh yeah...tongue position and holding yer breath
Old 2010-02-18, 5:28am
Serenity Now!

LOL Karen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
And tongue position. You have to hold your tongue
correctly or the whole thing won't work.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-02-18, 7:07am

You guys are hilarious. Love the 3 o'clock plunge and the tongue, well I do that.
Old 2010-02-18, 2:28pm

I recently started teaching lampwork, and i had no idea what kind of faces I made or the things i did with my mouth while working till i started doing demos for students and they started laughing. If one of them makes a vid of me working I'll post it. I still don't know what is so funny!
Old 2010-02-18, 4:21pm

i cant wait to see the video, i have no idea what i do, i never thought about it?
too funny
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.