Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-19, 5:47pm

Question Trapping liquid in blown glass???

Can anyone tell me how you can trap liquid in boro? I've seen blown birds filled with blue liquid. I'm wonder how this is done and what is the liquid??

I read about this in a forum a while back but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the forum. There were even some adult items filled with liquid. There was a lot of very tallented pipe makers and stuff there.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
* website/blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-19, 5:59pm
Tamara Knight

my friend did hummingbirds she would leave the beak open. Fill with water with food color after they were cool. And then use a mini torch to seal the beak.

She also did a couple other animals some of these were filled with water then the last hole was filled with clear appoxy but most she used the mini torch on
Old 2010-02-20, 7:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaisy View Post
Can anyone tell me how you can trap liquid in boro? I've seen blown birds filled with blue liquid. I'm wonder how this is done and what is the liquid??

I read about this in a forum a while back but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the forum. There were even some adult items filled with liquid. There was a lot of very tallented pipe makers and stuff there.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks =)
www.thegldg.com is probably the forum you were thinking of...

Old 2010-02-23, 2:49pm

Thanks cosmo!

* website/blog:
Old 2010-02-24, 7:44am
Run Free Sweet Boy

well.. in my early years of working glass I worked in a swan factory.. and we also did barometer swans, they were filled with colored water. The swan had a long thin beak and we would gently heat the bottom of the swan and then stick the beak in a container of water. The hot air inside cooling created a vacuukm and would draw up the water... WARNING dont over heat because they can and will blow up sometimes till you learn the knack of that.... been there done that.

I have a pal that makes the cutest little animal necklaces that are hollow and he wills them with chopped up gold leaf and a firly dense liquid.. its been years since I talked to him about it, but I think it was maybe kayro syrup because its dense and the gold flakes stay suspended in it.... he used a large bore syringe to fill them, sealed em with a dot of strong jewelers glue and put a small bell cap over the fill spot to hang them with.

The adult toys I have seen that are liquid filled are also done with some sort of glue/sealant to cover the tiny hole where they were filled. I inspected a couple well in a shop out of curiosity one time.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."