Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-02-18, 3:26pm

Default Boro Shorts

Hello,

Does anyone have any boro shorts that they would not mind parting with? Please PM me, and we can discuss $$/shipping.

Thanks,

Candace

Minor
Old 2009-02-18, 3:47pm

I use up all my shorts, but if you're looking to try out glass before you buy I can send sample rods of what I have. PM me if interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-18, 5:05pm
product of the universe

I've got a lot of shorts around here. Don't know what they are i just throw em in a box. I can figure a price out if ya want. Also sometimes i have lots of broken Chinese colored tubing, It can't be worked as tubing but it is color i just hate throwing it away if people want it I'll start putting it to the side and its free just pay the shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-02-18, 5:25pm
Button Queen

Shorts are GOOD! I heart shorts...
Old 2009-02-18, 9:47pm

I have some on the flamedame website. Just put a "boro shorts" in the search box. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-19, 3:30pm
funny mofo

I read "boro shorts" and immediately thought you were talking about short pants made of boro. I just didn't see the utility. How could you sit? Though they'd be easy to wash. Then I figured it out.... but I still like the idea. Except I think they'd have to be made in little panels with holes so you could lace them together into clothing.

Yeah, I know, I need a lot more sleep...
Old 2009-02-20, 6:17am
Pyromaniac

Don't feel bad AuntD I have the same kinds of thoughts....well not exactly the same. I was thinking of a sexy new swimwear line in simax clear I just usually manage not to betray them ... usually. Another post that always gets my mind working is the "Am I hot enough for boro" post... if I had gotten the first post I would have posted something like "pix please" =)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-02-20, 7:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
I've got a lot of shorts around here. Don't know what they are i just throw em in a box. I can figure a price out if ya want. Also sometimes i have lots of broken Chinese colored tubing, It can't be worked as tubing but it is color i just hate throwing it away if people want it I'll start putting it to the side and its free just pay the shipping.
Hi Chris,

I PM'd you.

Thanks.

Minor
Old 2009-02-20, 7:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I have some on the flamedame website. Just put a "boro shorts" in the search box. Paula
Thanks, Paula. I'll check them out.

Minor
Old 2009-02-20, 7:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntD View Post
I read "boro shorts" and immediately thought you were talking about short pants made of boro. I just didn't see the utility. How could you sit? Though they'd be easy to wash. Then I figured it out.... but I still like the idea. Except I think they'd have to be made in little panels with holes so you could lace them together into clothing.

Aunt D,

You are too funny. Just shows the extent of our imaginations. Not a problem.

Minor
Old 2009-02-20, 8:24am

Quote:

I'm the EXACT OPPOSITE. I went by a resale shop last summer on a walk and the sign in the window said "Shorts $1.00" and I actually stopped right where I was. It took a second to figure out they meant the ones you wear.... and then I laughed at myself. Kinda like me hitting the brakes when I see laundry hanging on the line cuz it might be a yard sale!

Sad, just sad.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-02-20, 8:55am

LOL. I saw a sign last fall at a place that looked like just a house, that read "All Glass Rods On SALE" I almost had an accident pulling in. Come to find out it was a tackle shop.

Old 2009-02-20, 9:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
LOL. I saw a sign last fall at a place that looked like just a house, that read "All Glass Rods On SALE" I almost had an accident pulling in. Come to find out it was a tackle shop.
Oh, Rob, I would have been in the car behind you doing the U-turn. They would have caught me too!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-02-20, 11:32am
funny mofo

You know, clothing made of boro squares would be great to wear for torching. You'd never get burned, and you'd never get holes in your clothes. They could be laced together with kevlar or something in case a little piece landed between the squares. Boro gloves might be hard, though. They'd HAVE to have open fingertips.

Not making anything out of clear, though. Nope nope nope. Not for me. I'm too fluffy for that. But I'm amusing myself imagining different colored squares.
Old 2009-02-20, 11:35am
Pyromaniac

Candace,
PM me your snail mail address and I'll send you some. They may not all be labeled . . .

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-02-20, 1:28pm

Thank you, Lana. I really appreciate it.

Minor
Old 2009-02-20, 3:29pm

Quote:

Old 2009-02-20, 3:31pm

I know this started out asking for boro shorts I just wanted to say these replys made my day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Old 2009-02-20, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post

I know this started out asking for boro shorts I just wanted to say these replys made my day!
That's great!! It's all about enjoying, having fun, and encouraging.

Minor
Old 2009-02-20, 6:27pm
product of the universe

Hey beybey I think there is about five lbs or more of shorts i'll weigh it up and get ya a price. It is this and that kind of stuff so it'll be cheap. You may find a milli in there, i don't know for sure but it is a possibility .

As far as the broken color tubing goes the first amount i come up with is spoken for. But as it goes, it sometimes gets smashed/crushed on the palette during shipping so i never know what i'll be getting. The rest is stuff that breaks on me because sometimes i forget to be gentle with it at first. But like i said it cannot be used as tubing but it is color. Now that i know people want it I'm gonna start saving it all and putting it to the side. I'll let you guys know when i have a bunch more.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-02-20, 6:37pm

Thanks, Chris.

Sounds like a plan. I'm definitely interested in the shorts. I'll let you know about the tubing.

Candace

Minor
Old 2010-02-21, 9:07pm

Hey Candace - it was great meeting you today at the meeting. I have some shorts here too. If you're still needing some when the March meeting rolls around, PM me and I'll bring 'em. Or if there is a color you want to try, let me know and I'll see if I have it. I'd be happy to share.

Old 2010-02-22, 8:04am

I don't understand how anyone can wind up with any "shorts". When my pieces of glass get too short to hold on to, I just attach them to another rod of the same color and keep on melting. If you don't have any more of the same color, you can attach to the end of a clear rod and pull it into a stringer. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-22, 1:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I don't understand how anyone can wind up with any "shorts". When my pieces of glass get too short to hold on to, I just attach them to another rod of the same color and keep on melting. If you don't have any more of the same color, you can attach to the end of a clear rod and pull it into a stringer. That's just my thoughts on the matter.
I do understand where you're coming from, but I think everyone has their own way of melting glass. For me anyway, it's simply a matter of habit. I use my rods until they get short, and then set them aside. Call it lazy, in a hurry, whatever. I don't consider them garbage by any stretch - I just don't deal with them immediately. They do seem to accumulate and sometimes I do as you describe - attaching them to another short of the same color, or a short of clear. Sometimes I share them with glassy friends who could use a little boro color. Sometimes I send them to someone who wants to try out boro. Regardless, they're never wasted, so I really don't think it's a BAD thing.

Old 2010-02-22, 8:23pm
Tamara Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass View Post
I do understand where you're coming from, but I think everyone has their own way of melting glass. For me anyway, it's simply a matter of habit. I use my rods until they get short, and then set them aside. Call it lazy, in a hurry, whatever. I don't consider them garbage by any stretch - I just don't deal with them immediately. They do seem to accumulate and sometimes I do as you describe - attaching them to another short of the same color, or a short of clear. Sometimes I share them with glassy friends who could use a little boro color. Sometimes I send them to someone who wants to try out boro. Regardless, they're never wasted, so I really don't think it's a BAD thing.

For me shorts are usually broken rods from shipping, and left over from teaching classes. Some bench scraps. I use to tell myself I'd sort them and use them. But more often then not I am tring to finish something and I need an exact color and don't take the time to sort through the shorts.

I box them up and move them on to someone elses work bench.
Old 2010-02-22, 10:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKnight View Post
For me shorts are usually broken rods from shipping, and left over from teaching classes. Some bench scraps. I use to tell myself I'd sort them and use them. But more often then not I am tring to finish something and I need an exact color and don't take the time to sort through the shorts.

I box them up and move them on to someone elses work bench.
I almost bought some the last time you had them in the GS!

Old 2010-02-23, 2:27am
Boro Bum

all the glass stores on this board are having sales on shorts right now like 10.50 a lb for NS & GA and like 12 or 13 a lb for Momka.
I believe that's a good deal for a lb of glass

AcidFly
Old 2010-02-23, 6:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
all the glass stores on this board are having sales on shorts right now like 10.50 a lb for NS & GA and like 12 or 13 a lb for Momka.
I believe that's a good deal for a lb of glass

AcidFly
Make sure they are first quality shorts! I have some short that are seconds - filled with stones and air bubbles. Almost worthless accept for pulling out into stringers, or using as filler glass.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-02-23, 6:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Make sure they are first quality shorts! I have some short that are seconds - filled with stones and air bubbles. Almost worthless accept for pulling out into stringers, or using as filler glass.
Wow, that is a great point. I never would have thought to ask but I will from now on!

Old 2010-02-23, 7:06pm
Tamara Knight

There is a Guy out of Canada who sells Momka stuff on ebay and they are all seconds