Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-25, 4:33pm
boro color bender

Talking Glass Alchemy Wizard Sticks... new products... review of tests so far...

I received some of GA's new products and so far, I'm loving them. Haven't made too many things, but played for about an hour tonight with their layered cane called Wizard Sticks... it works smooth as silk...

I can't wait to open the kiln and play some more tomorrow... I'll post pictures... I'm really bummed the sculptural flower i was working on took a header onto the table... last punty mark and I went for a weird angle... tweezers slipped and it crashed hard. Will definitely make another flower. I think the Tahitian color will yield perfect petals. It's definitely quality cane...

They are also making shards... will test those next chance i get as well.

If you're playing with Glass Alchemy's new stuff, feel free to chime in...

Much love and many thanks to the boro color companies for working to get us new and exciting products... I'm in love with this industry and where we're heading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-02-25, 4:40pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Seriously...you are the worst enabler EVER.
Wizard Sticks???? More layered boro cane?

I'm going to short out my keyboard with all this drool....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-25, 4:52pm
In search of her path....

how can you talk about this and not show us a picture of at LEAST the cane!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-02-25, 4:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
how can you talk about this and not show us a picture of at LEAST the cane!
Yes, this thread is USELESS without pictures!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-02-25, 5:31pm
boro color bender

Will snap a few pics in the AM...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-02-25, 6:22pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-02-25, 6:54pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Yes, this thread is USELESS without pictures!

Sue
He knows it makes us crazy.
Such a tease......

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-25, 8:16pm

You guys are funny, in a good way.
Old 2010-02-25, 9:20pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Yes, major tease......NOT FAIR!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-26, 12:25am
He can do the origami

Brent, is this the stuff they were talking about when you were in Portland last time?

Otter
Old 2010-02-26, 2:45am
boro color bender

It's something they brought up... but I hadn't seen any. It's basically the same as what I was working with Northstar on... layering one color over another and making it in bulk. I'm about to go look at what i made...

Old 2010-02-26, 3:16am
boro color bender

It definitely has promise... can't wait to play today!

This is thinner than what I'd use for gathers. the layer of silver color is thinner than the last batch of Serendipity i had Northstar make for us... but the color is a more saturated silver color. Not sure which one, but my guess would be triple Passion over Sno White. I'm pretty sure it's a different process than what we were using at NS. Same end result in that one color is over another. With at least two companies working on this, we'll get better quality and the prices will be kept down. Competition is great for the industry... I'm working on some projects myself... independent of the color companies and i LOVE these developments. In the end, it's all about US, the artists, being able to push our work further. Variety is the spice of our lives... neat times we're living in...

Thanks GA and NS for listening to your customers and working so hard to develope new things for us to melt... both companies rock out loud!

Old 2010-02-26, 5:06am
Serenity Now!

I'd love to see some pics from someone...anyone! ...same with the Serendipidity glass ~ I don't recall seeing many pics of that one either! Let's see 'em folks!

Personally, I also admire all the work going into new concepts and colours and all, but I'm now at the stage of "wait and see" - I've been more than a tad disappointed with some of the "new" and, IMHO (over) hyped ones, and don't want to accumulate yet more glass that doesn't seem to be "quite there yet" - and ends up in my trash. Just my two cents worth.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-02-26, 5:12am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I got a sample with my order but since I only make beads my stuff is unimpressive. The sticks are cool though. If I can I will get pics. No promises, life is too insane to promise anything.

Old 2010-02-26, 6:18am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
I'd love to see some pics from someone...anyone! ...same with the Serendipidity glass ~ I don't recall seeing many pics of that one either! Let's see 'em folks!

Personally, I also admire all the work going into new concepts and colours and all, but I'm now at the stage of "wait and see" - I've been more than a tad disappointed with some of the "new" and, IMHO (over) hyped ones, and don't want to accumulate yet more glass that doesn't seem to be "quite there yet" - and ends up in my trash. Just my two cents worth.
I remember you bought some of the very first Serendipity and then sold it off... admittedly, that batch had a much thinner layer than i wanted. I returned what I had left or got returned to the factory and got another batch. the second batch was sooooo much better.

ABR ended up buying the stuff I returned to northstar and sold it here on LE in the sale rack for $60 a pound. If you got the first batch from me (and chose not to return it) or ordered some from ABR and did not like it... give it another shot. It's super nice stuff and with the thicker layer of Amber Purple, it struck out soooo pink!

Here's a pic of the Serendipity when they got the layer thick enough...

Old 2010-02-26, 3:29pm
funny mofo

Those are gorgeous, Brent!
Old 2010-02-26, 8:00pm
Tamara Knight

on melting pot it says:

"We made shards from a few different colors and we made Wizard Sticks w/ a couple color combos... The Tahitian Sunset is Persimmon Strike layered over Sno White, which is one of my favorite combos. Lookout for Poseidon's Wrath as well." from Thomas at GA
Old 2010-02-27, 3:24am
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I remember you bought some of the very first Serendipity and then sold it off... admittedly, that batch had a much thinner layer than i wanted. I returned what I had left or got returned to the factory and got another batch....
It would've been nice to know it was dud-glass, and "send-backable" rather than dropping two bills.........But that's just that particular cane - I said I was in a "wait and see" mode because there's been other (new and over-hyped) colours as well.

That doesn't take away from the fact I still want to see pics from peeps.

Old 2010-02-27, 4:20am
boro color bender

If there is ever a problem with anything i sell, all you have to do is contact me. As soon as i realized there was an issue with the thinner rod striking, i offered to switch it with cane that worked... you didn't contact me, you just resold it. I would have gladly resolved the issue with you directly.

I promise not to over hype anything. For me, it either works or doesn't... I've gotten in trouble with the color companies a few times for giving feedback that wasn't exactly a glowing review... they try really hard and some times they slam dunk... and some times they throw up a brick, but don't we all?

Old 2010-02-27, 5:54pm
Serenity Now!

Indeed! No prob Brent - I wasn't pointing a finger or anything at all. Peace. I just wanna see some pics folks! Let's see 'em...........

Old 2010-02-27, 9:23pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I remember you bought some of the very first Serendipity and then sold it off... admittedly, that batch had a much thinner layer than i wanted. I returned what I had left or got returned to the factory and got another batch. the second batch was sooooo much better.

ABR ended up buying the stuff I returned to northstar and sold it here on LE in the sale rack for $60 a pound. If you got the first batch from me (and chose not to return it) or ordered some from ABR and did not like it... give it another shot. It's super nice stuff and with the thicker layer of Amber Purple, it struck out soooo pink!

Here's a pic of the Serendipity when they got the layer thick enough...

Wow Brent! Those are pretty! I ended up using my Serendipity cane like it was just white and encasing it in either DAP or Silver Creek. Kind of expensive glass to encase! Anyway, when I get some more spare fundage I might consider trying the new batch!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-03-13, 11:20am
boro color bender

the fins of these are made with Poseidon's Wrath... it's Jamboree over black...

These are the Sunset color... it's Persimmon Strike over Sno White

So far, I love these new rods for this type of sculptural application. Will keep you posted on other testing as I find the time.

Old 2010-03-13, 5:37pm

currently, I make my own persimmon over white cane. Persimmon is an awesome color. I hated it when I first started out, but over the last 2 years it has become one of my favorites. So, I will have to try some of these wizards sticks when they become available.

did you use a wizard stick for the sparkley green color fins on your other fish in the gallery?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Last edited by e. mort; 2010-03-13 at 5:37pm. Reason: forgot a word, duh.
Old 2010-03-13, 5:37pm

Brent,
I love your fish- there is great depth, variation in the application of colors, and oh such lovely grace. What an artist you are!
Cyndi
Old 2010-03-13, 6:48pm
boro color bender

The sparkle green ones I made the cane for... seriously wish it was available ready made... am working on it.

Old 2010-03-14, 12:19am
He can do the origami

Well maybe they will read this thread and be encouraged there is a market out there.

Otter
Old 2010-03-15, 9:18am
Astro Cat

Brent, I love what you did with the 2 different canes. thanks for showing. I especially love the poseidon's wrath. Wow!!