No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-01-05, 10:45am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I use Quark Xpress, which is the program that Adobe copied when making InDesign, and it does the same thing. I think it's more expensive than InDesign, though (although it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better).
I beg to differ, Chad. I had been using Quark everyday since its inception in 1986, before that PageMaker.. . until a couple of years ago. Quark is going the way PageMaker was since Adobe released InDesign CS2 for InDesign IS now much, much, much better. Just look at the market share and what offset printers prefer, especially in print ready pdfs.

Quark 7 was more expensive when it was first released . . . at $1499 ($599 for upgrade) . . . but with its diminished market share, the new Quark 8 is $799/$299 upgrade while InDesign CS4 is $699/$199 upgrade.

Sorry to derail this thread . . . just had to stand up for my favorite application! Now back to the regular programming . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-05, 11:20am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruna View Post
all I would ask of authors is not to use backgrounds. They look pretty, but I don't want to waste all that ink when I print it. I haven't bought a lot of tuts, but I think one of them has this problem. I didn't print it out because of that. Is there a way to prevent backgrounds from being printed?
=)
Hi Bruna...the first version of my jellyfish tutorial I released had backgrounds...they were very transparent, but they were there. When I realized the printing issue this was causing people, I removed all the backgrounds, colored banners and anything else extraneous. I then re-emailed the new version to anyone who had purchased the tutorial.

If my jellyfish is the tutorial you were unable to print because of the backgrounds, that means that my email attachment with the fixed file must not have made it to you. Please let me know if it was mine and I can send you that no-background version asap.

~~Mary

That goes for anyone else with that problem as well.

Old 2009-01-05, 12:31pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I beg to differ, Chad. I had been using Quark everyday since its inception in 1986, before that PageMaker.. . until a couple of years ago. Quark is going the way PageMaker was since Adobe released InDesign CS2 for InDesign IS now much, much, much better. Just look at the market share and what offset printers prefer, especially in print ready pdfs.
I don't know a single offset or print-on-demand printer (and there are more than 30 in my area) that prefer InDesign over Quark. There really isn't anything InDesign does better than Quark, and it has a lot more drawbacks than Quark.

But, to each his own I guess...

Old 2009-01-05, 2:29pm
da General

I am not going to argue with you, Chad. Being a full-time graphic designer, I choose programs that are the most efficient and I pick InDesign after using Quark for 18 years. I just hope, for your sake, that Quark won't go the way PageMaker did . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-05, 2:54pm
ManBearPig

I would be interested in knowing why you like InDesign. Maybe I'm missing something. We have a copy of it, and I used it quite a bit (about 6 months straight) when it first came out, but I never really liked it or found it easy to use, which is why I'm back with Quark. Now we only use it for the occasional customer who uses it.

Old 2009-01-05, 3:12pm
da General

Geez, Chad . . . do you have all day? lol! Which version of InDesign do you have? I have CS3 and hope to upgrade to CS4 soon.

Now keeping in mind that I stopped at Quark 6 so maybe some of these features are in Quark 7, I wouldn't know.

Take importing/editing images or graphics as one example.

In Quark, you import an image, then you have to resize it by changing the percentages but nothing less than 10%. In InDesign, you can choose the direct editing tool and select the image itself, not the picture box, which allows you to just grab the corner of the image (which can be MUCH larger than the picture box) and holding down Shift to constrain, just drag the image to whichever size you want. You can SEE as you drag how your image is cropping/sizing.

In addition, right click on the image and select Edit Original will take it either to Photoshop or Illustrator with the native image/graphic file opened . . . you do your changes, save it in its native program, when you click back in InDesign, it has already updated the image for you! No more finding your file on your desktop, open it in Photoshop/Illustrator, then back to Quark and have to update the image.

I switched to InDesign by doing a 300-page book using that program and never looked back. Took a while to transition completely over tho since it's virtually impossible to open old Quark files in InDesign without losing something . . . I have spent many hours rebuilding files but it's all worth it, for me anyway. I just opened my Quark for the first time in probably over a year and a half!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-01-05 at 3:17pm.
Old 2009-01-05, 10:18pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Mary,
that's a great thing you did, unfortunately I haven't bought your tuts... yet. Now that I'm working again, I shall tuttify myself. Still, I think that's was a great move in re-sending the file without backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hi Bruna...the first version of my jellyfish tutorial I released had backgrounds...they were very transparent, but they were there. When I realized the printing issue this was causing people, I removed all the backgrounds, colored banners and anything else extraneous. I then re-emailed the new version to anyone who had purchased the tutorial.

If my jellyfish is the tutorial you were unable to print because of the backgrounds, that means that my email attachment with the fixed file must not have made it to you. Please let me know if it was mine and I can send you that no-background version asap.

~~Mary

That goes for anyone else with that problem as well.

Giving
a try!
Old 2009-01-07, 8:33am
Butterfly Rancher

I like having a good preview of the tutorial. It definitely helps me make up my mind as to whether I'm willing to spend the money or not. If you want to see excellent examples of this idea, check out Sarah's and Mary Moth's previews on their websites.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado