Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-19, 11:16am
Type ZZZ personality

Default Fuming question

I just figured out gold fuming! I had tried it but just couldn't get the gold in the right place in the flame.

Anyway, I fumed an ornament and several light pink beads, then dotted some of them. Got the prettiest dark pink and a little purple. Took em off the mandrels and plopped them in water to clean the bead release.... the fume rubbed off!

What's up with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-11-19, 12:23pm

I am not sure about why it rubbed off, but I still can't figure out how to fume!! Ant tips on that for me. I usually end up loosing my gold as it melts and falls off, before I get any reaction at all. Thanks for any advice, and good luck with your issue.
Happy Thanksgiving
Josie

Old 2006-11-19, 3:03pm

Your piece has to be hot enough for the gold to stick. I have had this happen as well. That is why I usually encase the gold or silver fume. I have had luck with out encasing it, but I had the piece at a dull red glow when I fumed it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-19, 4:22pm
FlameTree Glass, Inc.

Arrow Hi Rustic Studio, FlameTree Glass here!

Here are some fuming basics that might help.
To fume with gold, use a penetrating, driving, focused reducing flame, and hold the gold right at the tip of your candles.

To fume with silver, use a softer, more bushey reducing flame.

Gold of course gives you pinks, cranberries, etc.

Silver gives you blues and whites, and sometimes ambers if you overfume.

The combination of the two can give you beautiful bright "beetle wing green" colors.

You can also go back and strike your fuming by using an oxidizing flame to take fuming away and a reducing flame to "bring it back"
Hope this helps you,
God Bless,
Lance
FlameTree Glass
www.flametreeglass.com
Old 2006-11-19, 7:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTree Glass View Post
To fume with gold, use a penetrating, driving, focused reducing flame, and hold the gold right at the tip of your candles.

The combination of the two can give you beautiful bright "beetle wing green" colors.

You can also go back and strike your fuming by using an oxidizing flame to take fuming away and a reducing flame to "bring it back"
Hope this helps you,
God Bless,
Lance
FlameTree Glass
www.flametreeglass.com
Wow this is great information - thanks!

Old 2006-11-19, 7:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTree Glass View Post

Hope this helps you,
God Bless,
Lance
FlameTree Glass
www.flametreeglass.com
Do you mean a layer of gold, then a layer of silver, then a layer or gold, or vice versa? I love that green color but I have only gotten it once by accident, and I forgot how I did it. That was before I started keeping notes.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-19, 8:40pm
product of the universe

i like to lay a little silver down for the gold to stick to. Also you can mix the gold and silver together as a alloy and fume with that for some cool fx.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-11-20, 11:49am
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks Lance and Chris!
I think the beads were too cold. I was thinking that the gold would burn off if they were too hot. I'll try it again next time.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-11-23, 10:19pm

Thank you so much for the tips, I will try it soon!! Hope you all had a great thanksgiving!
Josie