Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-28, 5:33pm

Default Boro Block

How many people sit at there work areas, torch on, kiln on, 30 pounds of Boro Glass rods everywhere and a bucket of frits and NOTHING is coming out right.....I think they call it an Artists-Block???? Does everyone have a day like this and if so what do you do....try try try or walk away till tomorrow???
Brenda
Old 2006-11-28, 6:32pm
Satake Woman!

Yep, it happened to me today. Eventually I pulled some twisties then just gave up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-11-28, 8:22pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Sounds like a spacer making day.....

I also have a container full of "boro shit" - you know, odds and ends...
small pieces of dichroic glass, ends of canes, broken pieces of
twisted cane, stringers I pulled (that I have no idea what color they will
strike to).

I build a base bead from a small amount of clear. Form it into a barrel.
Then start layering on crap. A cane here, a twistie here, a chunk of
Dichro here, a few dots from a random stringer here. Melt it in, encase it in
clear (or use a good hot roll in clear frit) for depth and perhaps slap it into a
bead press. Strike it in the back of the flame for good luck and then stick it in
the kiln.

My absolutely BEST beads have been made in that fashion (definitely
one-of-a-kind). Plus, since you're not "thinking" you can really just enjoy
the process of making beads. Go Zen.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-28, 9:18pm
ManBearPig

I use days like that to make my production pieces. Frit pendants, implosions, etc. The things that we always have dozens of sitting around. At least then you're making something, even if it's not what you want to be making.

Old 2006-11-28, 10:53pm
Boro Brat

Yep, what chad said. I make easy stuff or play around with new ideas...you know, like glass sketches. Normally bad days just mean I'm getting bored with what I'm working on and need to mix it up a little

Old 2006-11-28, 10:59pm
I'm a lilac!

I use days that tht to go all "Whatever, if it's not good enough to sell anyway I might as well just play" and then I goof off and do random things with the glass. Usually by the end of the day I'm feeling inspired and excited for the next day's session.

Old 2006-11-29, 1:22am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I am in the middle of a boro block as we speak. the only thing that looks nice is just plain double amber purple... ah well, this too shall pass

Old 2006-11-29, 1:50am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

sounds like you need to pack up all that boro and send it to me!!!

Only joking!

If I make 3 shit beads in a row I general turn off the torch and go inside. I never really have any good ideas but then sometimes I do great things.
I think boro is a bit easier (especially when you are a boro beginner like me) because it's not like I am going to make pink nugget shape beads with spiral dance design frit and evil purple flowers blah blah blah like in soft glass it is more like you just grab a bitta this and a bit a that and throw it together and see what you get. I find when I am totally uninspired I surf LE in particularly the gallery for about 1/2 hour. I don't get inspiration from particular colours or whatever it just sort of gets me in the mood and excited to go to the torch and create!!
I am glad you are persevering (sp?) one day people will be falling over themselves to buy your work you watch!!!
Old 2006-11-29, 12:03pm

Actually I am having one of those days today. So, I just emptied out my little jar of "stringer ends" and started melting them on to beads and stuff. One of them is going to turn out really cool I think! Just keep some notes so you can recreate it later because sometimes you will come up with a combo that will just knock your eyes out. Regardless, go have fun and play!

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-29, 12:06pm

Thanks for the responses, NOW I don't feel so dumb!!! Actually got so beads done today!
Brenda
Old 2006-12-03, 8:07am

i just play too, usually brings up a new idea to work on, or i try something ive never done before, that gets the juices flowing, i accept i will have days like this , and i use them as a break. sometimes it lasts for days. i sometimes just dont torch, ill read or watch videos, or go out and get involved in other things and get inspired by something that brings me back to the torch.
ro