LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-13, 8:02pm

Default Mini CC vs Nortel Minor...please help!

I currently use a hothead and am planning to upgrade to a better torch soon. I like to make lampwork beads with soft glass, but my try my hand at borosilicate sometime.

Which of the above two torches would you recommend and why? Is there another recommendation that you would make?

I would also appreciate input regarding the use of an oxycon vs. tanked O2. What oxycon would you recommend and why?

I really appreciate your help in making a decision...Elizabeth
Old 2006-12-13, 8:13pm
Is it May yet?

I had a Mini CC, and now I have a Nortel Major/Minor. I loved the Mini for it's bushier flame, and it was super hot. I ran it off one concentrator, and it was fine, but could have had better results from two concentrators or a tank. I got the Nortel mainly for the Major (big fire!!) and the minor on top is great for smaller stuff. Before I got the Mini, I was on a hothead, and used several different torches before I made my decision. I had tried a National, a Mini, and Minor. Out of those three, I liked the Mini the best for the bushier flame. Wow...I guess I really didn't give much pro/con, did I? A lot of it depends on what kind of work you will be doing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-13, 8:37pm
Fight glass with FIRE

Go with a MiniCC hands down! Much more flexibility since it gives off more radiant heat and the flame can be adjusted from a tiny pinpoint flame to a large flame that a Minor can't acheive. All the customers I have that went from a Minor to a MiniCC have found it to be supirior. Don't get me wrong, the Minor is a good torch but I think it has seen better days with the new torches coming out. It is almost as if the Minor has fallen in a subcategory of it's own between the Hothead and the new torches like the MiniCC,Betta,Minnow etc. It's not small enought to compare to the Hothead but too small in functionality to compare to the new breed of torches coming out.

I've used both and for the small amount of money difference between both get yourself a MiniCC. You will have a nice torch to do bigger work if you want to with a second concentrator which will let your creativity work a little more.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-12-13, 9:00pm
Broken

I have both on tanked and a concentrator.

I love my minor on the concentrator, I don't have to buy oxy all the time. It does large beads, well large for me about 2-3 inches. I don't do boro so I can't comment there.

The Mini CC is a much bushier flame, but it's not ideal to run it off one concentrator I run my of tanked oxy. It's alot hotter, but it's also alot bushier which sometimes I don't like.

They are both great torches I don't think you can go wrong with whichever you pick.

Old 2006-12-13, 9:06pm
The Crazy One

Mini cc and tanked O2 would be my first choice. Second would be mini cc and at least an M20 concentrator. Third would be a mini cc and at least 3 regular concentrators. The mini cc has a bushier flame and can still be dialed down to a smaller flame the size of a minor flame.

I had a minor on tanked O2 and attempted boro..... Ewwwwww!!!!
When I was using my mini cc and tanked O2 boro was OK...
Old 2006-12-14, 1:14am

Just wanted to add my vote to the Mini CC too, it's a great torch. Very versatile and the right kind of flame for off mandrel sculpture as well as beadmaking.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-12-14, 2:09am
The Forgetful Beadmaker

If I had it to do over, I'd go Mini CC. I currently have a Minor, but teach at a shop with Mini CCs. I love them. However, I also LOVE using my oxycon. I think when I'm able to afford a second one, I'll probably move up to a Mini CC too. You can do lots of stuff on a Minor, but sometimes I just want more fire!
Old 2006-12-14, 6:22am
ManBearPig

I have worked quite a bit on both torches. On tanks, there honestly isn't enough of a difference to recommend one over the other. The Mini CC is slightly hotter I think, but just slightly. The thing you have to watch with a Mini CC is that it goes into a reduction atmosphere a little easier than a Minor. So you have to run a flame slightly more oxidizing than you think to get a true neutral flame.

On a single concentrator, I prefer a Minor. It takes less oxygen to run well. On two concentrators, either will work great.

Old 2006-12-14, 7:43am
Button Queen

Piranha... hands down.... I LOVE it...! You might have to do some searching, but they can still be found.

I find that the Piranha is hotter than my minor was. I'm currently running it on tanked O2, but plan to get an M-15 sometime in the next couple of years.
Old 2006-12-14, 8:32am

Ok, here's my take on this....I used my Minor for over 18 years and loved it. I also have 8 Minors that I drag around with me for teaching. It is a great torch and the Nortel Co. who makes it is very supportive.
In some of the bigger venues where I teach - Bead & Button, Las Vegas Expo etc - Carlisle has started to offer torch set-ups for classrooms. I decided to take them up on it since traveling/shipping class equipment is a royal pain.
I really like working on the mini CC because of the radiant heat.
I have a tendancy to work kinda large and that extra heat helps me from blowing off ends and the pulled points on my creation beads. But most folks don't work as large as I do...so that may not be as important to you.
The best piece of equipment I have ever purchased for my studio was my OGSI generator. Here in the Wash DC area, o2 is really expensive. The generator cost a bundle...but I was spending approx. $200.00 per month on tanked o2. I recently moved up to the OGSI 20 - and I couldn't be happier. So, I recommend either torch with a generator with as much o2 capacity as you can afford.
Old 2006-12-14, 8:38am
Crazy Snake Lady

Mini CC - I make both soft and hard glass beads on mine and I run on an oxycon.
Old 2006-12-14, 9:26am

I had a Mini CC that I ran on natural gas and 2 concentrators and the knobs would get so hot I couldn't even adjust my flame. I switched to a Minor and loved it. I just recently switched to a Lynx and love that too!

Old 2006-12-15, 9:36pm
Butterfly Rancher

I'm running a MiniCC on NG and one oxycon and haven't had an issue with hot knobs. I learned on a Minor with tanked O2 & propane. I chose the MiniCC last year because I found it at a great sale price. I love the bushy and pinpoint flames of the MiniCC and I'm glad that I went with it over the Minor -- however, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. In my class, we worked boro on the Minor with the tanked O2 & propane -- it took a bit of patience but it was doable.

As for oxycon v. tanked -- last year when I first got my oxycon, I thought it was fabulous and didn't really notice a difference between my home set-up and the class set-up -- however, now I do see a decreased performance. I read a thread over the summer where someone said that they just replaced their oxycons every year and it was still cheaper than tanks. Since I'm working in my garage, the oxycon is exposed to high temps and very high humidity, so I'm thinking the lifespan may be more limited for me than if my environment was friendlier.
Old 2006-12-16, 2:02am

I have a minor and concentrator/propane I do soft and learning boro. It does fine. I have wanted to upgrade but can a mini and lynx and such do soft glass? I have also had these questions and am confused. I don't want a bethlehem because of the way they run their company so I don't know who makes a mini...lol Advice needed here too !

Old 2006-12-16, 3:19am
I've got goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post
I have a minor and concentrator/propane I do soft and learning boro. It does fine. I have wanted to upgrade but can a mini and lynx and such do soft glass? I have also had these questions and am confused. I don't want a bethlehem because of the way they run their company so I don't know who makes a mini...lol Advice needed here too !
The Mini and the Lynx are soft glass torches that can do small boro. Carlisle makes the MiniCC and OCR has them for $135. (www.glasscolor.com)

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-16, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post
I just bought a lynx. I had to switch from NG to propane but for soft glass I use 1 concentrator and for boro I use 2. I'm planning to switch to tanked for boro and keep my concentrators for soft glass eventually.

Old 2006-12-20, 8:33pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. It really helps to hear from people who have used both. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!
Old 2006-12-21, 11:04am

sold my minor for a mini cc. love it!! But my Dragon 7/14 beats them both...

Old 2006-12-22, 10:23am

I've been using a minor with one oxycon for a while now. Just got a 2nd oxycon to get more heat because my beads are getting bigger. I can't get a very bushy flame, but it's definitely hotter. I was thinking of switching to the mini CC but heard that the knobs get too hot to adjust. Only one response here seems to indicate that. What about the rest of you? Do you have to do something to prevent the knobs from heating up?
Old 2006-12-22, 10:26am
Broken

Kathy I run my mini CC of tanked and a concentrator depending on what I am doing. I have never had a "hot knob" LOL problem. You can come over and try it if you want?

Old 2006-12-22, 10:36am
Crazy Snake Lady

The knobs on my Mini get warm but not so hot I can't adjust the flame. Also, it's a real gas saver - I've been on the same 25 lb. tank forever!
Old 2006-12-22, 10:38am
da General

I was doing research on torches and settled for a Bobcat. Main reason being that all the torches, MiniCC, Bobcat, Minnow are similar in price and performance, the Bobcat body remains cool to the touch but the Mini's knob gets too hot using only one oxycon.

|
|
|
|
Old 2006-12-22, 12:17pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDinBC View Post
Do you have to do something to prevent the knobs from heating up?
Running longer candles can help keep the Mini CC from overheating too much.

Heat travels from the face of the torch back towards the user. The material the Mini CC is made out of (brass) conducts heat from the face to the torch body and knobs rather easily. Ignition from the fuel and oxygen heats up the face. The longer the candles, the further away from the face ignition takes place and the less overheating of the face you have and therefor, the less overheating of the body and knobs.

As far as small torches go, I prefer the Bobcat. The Bobcat is made from high quality stainless steel (does not conduct heat as easily as cheaper materials) and employs GTT's patented internal cooling system to remain cool. This makes it more comfortable to use and prolongs the life of the torch. The Bobcat can also run very well on low pressures (as in household natural gas typically at 1/4 psi and a single oxycon).
Old 2006-12-22, 12:38pm

The Mini CC has more radiant heat that a minor and it's also easier to get a pinpoint flame on a Mini CC. I was never able to get one on the minor. I run our studio Mini's off of liquid oxygen and they rock. We are just now adding GTT torches. Hopefully I get those hooked up next week as I'm dying to work with them too!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-12-22, 1:52pm
one day at a time

I have both the Mini CC and the Bobcat and I run them with a high pressure (up to 18psi) oxy generator. I don't know of too many people that have one like mine to compare. It's an Airsep AS-12A. This machine is "overkill" for the small torches, IMO. Even at 12-13psi it will "blast" O2 and even blow out the flame. Recently, I aquired a concentrator from a friend on a tool trade. I was pleasantly surprised! Now I have better control with the O2 and a gentler flame.

For boro, now that I have a concentrator, I see that a second one is necessary. The generator and boro is great, but this machine is pretty expensive - $2400. There are now lower priced oxy generators out there that will do just as good of a job, for several hundred dollars less. Or, you could start out with one concentrator, and if it's in your budget, a second one later on would be what you need for boro.

Bobcat and Mini CC comparisons:

Mini CC - a wider "softer" bushier flame, and plenty of surrounding radiant heat. Meaning that you can do long beads and good-sized sculpturals and easily keep them warm to avoid cracking while you work. Not as hot as the Bobcat for boro though, but it's the perfect soft glass torch. Don't worry, it's good and hot! Glass can get pretty darn soupy! I've never tried it with tanked or liquid o2, but I'll bet it would kick butt on the boro.

Bobcat - a longer, sharper, more focused flame. Therefore, IMO, hotter for melting boro faster. Not very good radiant heat, much more "flashing" in and out of flame with bigger pieces, to avoid cracking. That's why I'm glad I have the Mini too. I mostly make small beads right now, but if I ever want to get into making long beads and sculpturals again, I'll hook up the Mini for that.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Lisi; 2006-12-22 at 1:57pm.